MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Trying no-foil ribs for the first time - Popdaddy's hot and fast weeping ribs maybe?

Howdy brethren.

Will be trying no-foil babybacks tomorrow for the first time. I've seen Popdaddy's hot and fast weeping ribs method video and thought it looked interesting.

I was wondering how long that method takes? I know it's done when its done, but I would like to know a ballpark figure, running the UDS at 275-300, so I can plan dinner time accordingly.

2-1-1 with babybacks has worked well in the past, but the last time I think the UDS ran a little hot and the ribs were overdone - bones slid right out. Guests loved them, I was not so impressed.

I would like to do a no-foil rib cook now, plus I figured it would involve less opening of the lid, etc. So any tips re: times, temps, spritzing, etc would be welcome.

Oh, I'm also doing beef oxtails, a fatty, and prolly some ABT's. Thinking of using cherry, in memory of kcquer (did not know him, but feels like the right thing to do to honor the brethren spirit).

Can't wait to get the smoke going!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

For baby backs, spritz with a flavorful liquid, like apple juice, every 20 - 30 minutes. It will take about 4 hours to cook them. No foil ribs, especially with a low sugar rub, will be awesome. Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I make my own rubs and like to rub them down the night before and an hour before smoking let them sit out on the counter. Typically they smoke for 3 hours at 250 and I spray them every 30 minutes. After 3 hours I will foil them for 1 hour. Inside the foil I add 1/2 stick of butter and some honey. This creates sweetness at the end and I compensate for the honey by adding a tad more cayenne to the rub.
Something that I read the other day was to mix apple juice with grenadine. 2 parts AJ 1 part grenadine. The grenadine caramelizes nicely and adds a touch of sweetness. Tomorrow I will try it out and report back.
Using my 3 1 method the ribs haven’t ever been dry or chewy. Good luck and try making your own rubs. Commercial rubs tend to be too salty for my liking. Smoking is about you and what you created. Play around with the flavor profiles and have some fun
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

If you are referring to Chuck Averwater (Smackers BBQ) rib technique he uses 3 parts Apple Juice to 1 Part Grenadine. Not sure whose recipe you were looking at but he told me with the 3 -1 ratio is really would give it a sweet taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana Smoker View Post
I make my own rubs and like to rub them down the night before and an hour before smoking let them sit out on the counter. Typically they smoke for 3 hours at 250 and I spray them every 30 minutes. After 3 hours I will foil them for 1 hour. Inside the foil I add 1/2 stick of butter and some honey. This creates sweetness at the end and I compensate for the honey by adding a tad more cayenne to the rub.
Something that I read the other day was to mix apple juice with grenadine. 2 parts AJ 1 part grenadine. The grenadine caramelizes nicely and adds a touch of sweetness. Tomorrow I will try it out and report back.
Using my 3 1 method the ribs haven’t ever been dry or chewy. Good luck and try making your own rubs. Commercial rubs tend to be too salty for my liking. Smoking is about you and what you created. Play around with the flavor profiles and have some fun
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Seems like people are completely ignoring your question and blabbing about a completely different techinique caliking.

I would for ignore everyone so far except Boshizzle - who has taken my procedure beyond the zone baby. The other guys are cool but you asked about my "no Foil" technique and following their "foil advice" which probably does make some good ribs (sweet ribs) would end in disaster.

I did something similar to what they ask and did it without foil and swear I got a damn candied rib.... I still have not decided if I liked it or not.

Now I must take Boshizzle on. Do spares and for God's sake, do NOT spritz.

Here is why. The weep em and read method uses a few techs to ensure moistness. One is the type of rub, the other is the speed, leaving the sinsee on is a must I think and NOT opening the pit till you hear the weep... thsi ensures that your hot and fast cook keeps the moisture in.... opening th epit and spritzing will lower the temp of the meat and that is bad.... you want to get from cold to rendering as quick as possible. Then the shut down draws the flavor and moisture back in.

HOWEVER... I will not entirely knock Boshizzle and here is why... I am cooking on either a 1200 lbs pit or 6000 lbsd pit. He is using a UDS I think... which I have not done... soooooooo... the only thing I KNOW is not to foil them and not to use any high sugar content.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

If you're trying to stay close to Donnie's process then scratch the idea of spritzing and make 'em weep.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 04-09-2011 at 08:57 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

yeah, yo

Old 09-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Seems like people are completely ignoring your question and blabbing about a completely different techinique caliking.

I would for ignore everyone so far except Boshizzle - who has taken my procedure beyond the zone baby. The other guys are cool but you asked about my "no Foil" technique and following their "foil advice" which probably does make some good ribs (sweet ribs) would end in disaster.

I did something similar to what they ask and did it without foil and swear I got a damn candied rib.... I still have not decided if I liked it or not.

Here is why. The weep em and read method uses a few techs to ensure moistness. One is the type of rub, the other is the speed, leaving the sinsee on is a must I think and NOT opening the pit till you hear the weep... thsi ensures that your hot and fast cook keeps the moisture in.... opening th epit and spritzing will lower the temp of the meat and that is bad.... you want to get from cold to rendering as quick as possible. Then the shut down draws the flavor and moisture back in.

HOWEVER... I will not entirely knock Boshizzle and here is why... I am cooking on either a 1200 lbs pit or 6000 lbsd pit. He is using a UDS I think... which I have not done... soooooooo... the only thing I KNOW is not to foil them and not to use any high sugar content.
I was hoping you might chime in! Thanks! I watched your vid, and loved it.

Well, I spritzed em once already, but I will forget that now. I foiled the rim of the UDS and am getting better temp control - about 250ish, but I think I need to ramp it up a bit if I want the hot and fast effect. Not sure how these will turn out, since I seem to unintentionally be doing some sort of hybrid cook. Not planning on foiling the ribs.

Hope things turn out right though
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 09-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

I never foil and they go for 4 hours. Remember, the quality of the rib plays the most important part. I had used Costco's swift brand for a few years which is absolute garbage. I made the switch to what Rest Depot carries with the membrane fully intact, UNLIKE the swift's. I then remove the membrame, rub them for 6 hours and in they go. After 4 hours they are perfect, no foil needed.

I was going to try a hit and fast method here soon, but ultimately, the quality of your rib is what will make or break how well they turn out.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook ribs at @ 275 , never use foil . Also I cook brisket @ 295 , and butts @225 and never use foil...

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

oh, i was thinking the original post was about Donnie's weep for ribs.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Until I get a Lang or similar smoker, I don't think, sadly, that any of my smokers can do the famed "weeping" technique justice. I am looking forward to the day that I can try the weeping technique with confidence. Until then, I will have to be content with spritzing throughout the cook. Call me a wimp, but I am worried about stringy meat from my cookers. Perhaps, that's the variable in the equation. I'm afraid that if I shut down my smoker I will be stuck with tough chewy ribs. If I had a pro quality smoker, I'd be more confident. Help me, obiwanfunkorama! Should I give it a go in my UDS or Bubba Keg? I'm thinking the BK might have an edge due to its insulation factor that the UDS doesn't share. I have been impressed with the weeping method every since I saw the video a while back.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Update

Well, the weeping ribs method I'm afraid was a bust, so I converted it into a no-foil vs foil trial instead.

Part of the problem was that with the foil rim on the UDS the temp control was much more stable, and so I didn't get the higher temps by default (caused by the leak around the rim in earlier cooks). In my limited experience, maybe a UDS is not the best for trying the weeping ribs method. My rationale before lighting the fire for this cook had been that if I'm going to get higher temps anyways, may as well try to use it to my advantage.

I made 3 racks of babybacks. After about 3.5 hours at 240-280, I foiled 2 racks for 30mins then sauced for 30mins. The unfoiled ribs had better texture - the fat rendered better. The foiled ribs got this steamed taste/texture that I didn't care for much.

I think I'm also done with babybacks. Will definitely do spares next time and see what all the fuss is about. I think my next cook will be spares on the UDS, 4 hours at 240-270 then sauce and leave on a little longer for the sauce to set.

Thanks for all the tips!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I don't know what the rest of you are babbling about, all I can think about is Donnie's Rib Candy ... mmmmmmm Rib Candy. How the fark can you not know if you like rib candy?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I don't know what the rest of you are babbling about, all I can think about is Donnie's Rib Candy ... mmmmmmm Rib Candy. How the fark can you not know if you like rib candy?
No, not long ago I did two racks on the weber kettle

now you know they barely fit on the sob unless you tilt them and I did not. Finally I got them right and painted them with my modification of Danny Gaulden's glaze and shut the pit down. The result was unburned but just about hard candy film over the ribs. tender inside chewy stick to the molars kinda salty candy.

I have yet to think of an application... I feel somethign has been learned but what? LOL