MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

With this pellet smoker, do you find that it gives you enough smoke, or do you have to modify it by adding a wood chunk cage above the burn pit? I've always been turned away from pellet smokers because people say the smoke level is really low.
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
With this pellet smoker, do you find that it gives you enough smoke, or do you have to modify it by adding a wood chunk cage above the burn pit? I've always been turned away from pellet smokers because people say the smoke level is really low.

I've been impressed with the thin blue smoke that the YS640 puts out at 250. None of the pellet cookers are going to put out much smoke at higher temps because the fan will produce so much oxygen to the fuel that it becomes too efficient to produce somke which is actually wasted heat.

I do have the cage on my FEC and it works wonders in that fashion as well.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I had no idea the comp cart was a $600 option. Is the comp cart really worth it?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

I can't see that being worth it at all. Other than looks and the rugged tires, it doesn't look like there is an advantage to it. But that's just looking at it.
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

The cart is very well built and has a "Jambo" Quality Paint Job. The metal is heavy guage and the wheels are all terrain with grease zerts etc. With the cost of the YS640 being so afforadable, this cart is worth every penny if you are going to be loading and transporting frequently to comps.

If its going to live on your patio, then save your money the standard cart is sufficient.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We started cooking comps on them last fall... We've been happy, and have replaced our CS cookers with Yoder for this year. With 4 comps under our belts with them we have gotten:
1st place Chef's Choice - Jack Daniels Invitiational
1st Place Ribs - 180 - Winter Q (Great Bend)
7th Place Pork - winter Q
Grand Champion - Chest to Chest Nat'l Brisket Invitational

And I have to 2nd Candy... all the pellet cookers cook different. all have pros and cons. For my .02 The Yoder has been the most flexible to date, and allows me to do lots of different things I couldnt do in my CS cookers. I won lots of money on them too... so they arent bad, I just like the yoders better. You mentioned an FEC100 -- that is probably the furthest from any of these... Grill vs. Smoker. You are never going to grill a steak, etc. or hot cook (350+) on an FEC... they are a vertical smoker, not a grill.

But compared to other grills , I think you will find the Yoder is built well. And cooks great!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

On the cart... you are moving around a 300ish lb cooker... for a comp guy... it has tie downs, all terrain tires, and makes moving the pit EASY. It also includes stainless solid shelves for work surface out inthe wild of a comp, vs. the std. chromed rack shelving. The paint job just adds a little bling for the comp site.

If it is for a deck/patio only... the standard cart is fine. It really is designed for mobility and function (stainless shelves)

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
On the cart... you are moving around a 300ish lb cooker... for a comp guy... it has tie downs, all terrain tires, and makes moving the pit EASY. It also includes stainless solid shelves for work surface out inthe wild of a comp, vs. the std. chromed rack shelving. The paint job just adds a little bling for the comp site.

If it is for a deck/patio only... the standard cart is fine. It really is designed for mobility and function (stainless shelves)
Thanks for the input, it helps a ton. Is the paint price included in the standard comp cart or was that an extra?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
We started cooking comps on them last fall... We've been happy, and have replaced our CS cookers with Yoder for this year. With 4 comps under our belts with them we have gotten:
1st place Chef's Choice - Jack Daniels Invitiational
1st Place Ribs - 180 - Winter Q (Great Bend)
7th Place Pork - winter Q
Grand Champion - Chest to Chest Nat'l Brisket Invitational
Is that all? I believe that should answer your question. Other top cooks are using one this year such as Chris Hart of Ique who also had his book on BBQ published this year.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
SS454
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
Is the paint price included in the standard comp cart or was that an extra?
I ordered a YS640 with comp cart last Saturday. Don made a point to mention all SOW's wins As for the paint, they had 2 with what I believe is the standard silver paint and I inquired about a custom color. Don was hesitant at first then he grinned and said they would be more than happy to paint one to match my hat.

So I get to pick up a Kansas State Wildcat purple YS640 in two weeks (which was my plan all along).

They are really tough looking units. We already have a GMG Big Pig which is an insulated pellet smoker (fabricated in Salina, KS for GMG). The GMG is nice but has some issues, mainly grease and moisture drainage. It will be nice to cook a whole comp on pellet poopers, and since the GMG lives at my dad's house across the state and the stick burner at mine I will get more practice (and sleep) on a pellet smoker.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Bam Bam
Knows what a fatty is.

Im loving my Yoder Bamzoni! We also like to have a pellet pooper for comps as well, I'm so impressed with my stickburner that im pulling the trigger today on a 640. With teams like Lotta Bull, SOW, IQUE, and now Swamp Boys cooking on them, that must tell ya something. We have a back to back in AZ this weekend, cant wait to bring out the big Yoder guns!!
Bbqislandinc.com
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote