MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default cooking whole hog running style

Does anyone have a preference for cooking whole hog running style over flat on the back method? It seems that the flat on back style creates a bowl effect and would be juicier but oilier also.
I have no experience cooking whole hog. I hope to be able to try one this year.
I am looking for techniques for cooking for family and friend. If you know of any videos,please send a link.
I would like to attend the yazoo delta class if the stars ever align.
Thanks in advance,
jonboy
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

first off what kind of cooker do you have
are you having a pig picking or you cooking for the meat
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

The cooker is a large offset, reverse flow. I think that a pig would work either way.
I was curious to know the pros and cons of each method.
I have read Myrons method and see a few of his videos. That is what i would describe as the bowl method.
I saw somewhere that Yahoo Deltas uses the standing running method. It seems that would produce a leaner, less fatty product. It might dry out also.
I have no whole hog experience.
Just trying to learn all that i can.
I hope to try cooking a whole hog this year. I would hate to invite several friends over and really screw up the cook.
I would like to attend Memphis in May but not really sure if i could learn much from wandering around.

You asked if i was having a pig pickin or cooking for the meat? I don't really understand the difference.
jon

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Contact some of the whole hog guys...iamarealbigdog here on the brethren got 5th place whole hog last year at memphis. If you do make it down for MIM drop by our tent and say hi.

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Never cooked a whole pig but I have always thought it would be neat to do. Here's a link I saved a while back that I thought was helpful. Cheers!!!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I start it off running style, then finish on the back, once done, poke a few holes in it and let the grease run out.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did my first pig a few months back and cooked it racer style. Here is the thread for that. I was extremely pleased with the results and it really wasn't that hard - the main thing seems to be just keeping the fire good and spinning the pig a couple times for even cooking on both ends, which may not be an issue with a reverse flow.

Here and here are other whole hog threads and here is a thread in another forum that I referred to.

I will say this - once you cook one, your only regret will be that you did not do it sooner!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Iamarealbigdog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Contact some of the whole hog guys...iamarealbigdog here on the brethren got 5th place whole hog last year at memphis.

Thanks Neil, the Black Pig had horseshoes up somebody's butt that day…

The style of cooking can be Praying, Running and Butterfly up or down. All have their advantage and disadvantage. I’m not a big fan of spit roasting too much damage to the pig and chicken wire just looks dumb.

Is pooling the juices a good or bad thing, the meat certainly has a lesser chance of drying out but at the expense of being greasy.

Running looks way cool and shows off the golden skin but juices run out. How confidant are you about your injection to keep your pig moist. This also runs into the breed you use; if you have a fatty heritage hog. A Berkshire is awesome for running style not so much for butterfly up.

Last thing to consider is skin on, off or a hybrid so you can access the shoulder, loins and ham with rub and glazing (butterfly down for this method)

In my humble opinion you have to decide what you want to present to judges a pig for “show” or one for “go”. You will then have to adjust your tactics accordingly; to compensate for the style. I would not recommend one over the other as each stand on their own merit.

Good luck,

Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like some more research is in order.
Thanks for the links.
I searched whole hog on this site and have some reading to do.
I will be looking for a round fat pig to cook, one that is full of fat/flavor.
My injection will be from myrons book or something else that i find.
I need to educate myself so i can have some first timers luck.
I haven't been to a pig pickin before, just seen a few pictures on the site.
I don't know if i need a Hawaiian shirt or not.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try to find the dates for memphis in may so i can wonder around there.

jon

Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try to find the dates for memphis in may so i can wonder around there.

jon
May 16th-18th

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/guide...k-a-mim-wcbcc/

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamarealbigdog View Post
Thanks Neil, the Black Pig had horseshoes up somebody's butt that day…
He's so humble...IT ROCKED!