MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #226
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I finally got off of my lazy backside and made a batch of this last weekend. I followed the original recipe exactly, using Frank's Redhot as the pepper sauce.

The first taste after it was mixed had an overpowering vinegar twang to it, and I thought there was no way this was going to be any good.

It sat in the fridge in a clean Dr. Pepper bottle for a couple of days and I tried it again. What a difference a couple of days make! Much smoother, less 'vinegary'. <snip>

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I just made my first ever batch of this for use for a party we are having this weekend. I used Franks for the sauce. I sure hope I have the experience you mention because, yowsa, very overpowering on the vinegar twang. I'll be checking it out again in a couple days.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #227
tinman
On the road to being a farker

Love it with Frank's. It does mellow a bit.
Frankenweber!
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #228
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

It definitely mellowed out a couple of days later and was a big hit at the party. Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely keep a bottle mixed up.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #229
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been on a BBQ-Brethren hiatus for several months due to different work schedule, family additions, etc. I've spent the last few days searching for this recipe and came across so many other sauces that looked good, but weren't quite this.

I used this several months ago for pulled pork and it's delicious! I'm not a vinegar-based bbq sauce fan, as I prefer a sweeter, thicker sauce, but I drizzle just enough of this sauce in a batch of pulled pork to give a subtle, tangy zest to the meat. Not enough to kick you in the teeth, just enough to enhance the flavor to detect a difference between sauced meat and un-sauced. I still top with a sweet bbq sauce for that perfect contrast.

Big thanks for this recipe. It'll be a hit on two Boston butts this weekend during the Independence Day festivities, no doubt.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #230
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I'm not one for mustard sauces, but this one is VERY good. Thanks Bo!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #231
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

It definitely mellows a bit, but still a little too much vinegar for my bunch. So I mixed it 50/50 with Sweet Baby Rays and now they love it. Time to make more for the 4th!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #232
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I smoked my first pork butt today and needed to season it with something after I pulled it. A forum member was kind enough to share this recipe with me, so I made it up and mixed in the bunch of pork shoulder and it turned out sooo yummy!

I don't dip the pork into this sauce as it is too vinegary that way, but I mix it in the pork beforehand and let it sit in the fridge that way. So delicious. I am not a big fan of sweet masking sauces. I could still taste all the pork and smoke flavor after applying this sauce; which is how I like it. I can't wait to buy some french bread and throw together a pulled pork & coleslaw sandwich with it.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #233
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
3/4 cup Miracle Whip + 1/4 cup Shack Attack sauce = 1 kicka$$ dressing for coleslaw.
Now that sounds awesome.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #234
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I'm cleaning out some crap in the fridge the other day and I came across a jar of Big Butz Carolina Magic vinegar sauce with about a half cup left in it. Added it to what was left of the Shack Attack sauce.

It does not suck.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #235
stanjk
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

New to this forum but had been lurking for a couple of weeks. Made a batch of this sauce using dijon mustard and Sriracha sauce. After a day or 2 of ageing on the counter - awesome! It's now a staple on my countertop. Just want to say thanks for the recipe and looking forward to trying other hot sauces in this recipe. Thanks Bo!
stanjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #236
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

I just used this sauce to make some coleslaw. I used about 3/4 cup of miracle whip a little more than a 1/4 Cup of shack attack and about 2 teaspoons of sugar Nd mixed it with a 16 oz bag of slaw. So good!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #237
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Nice... I will be giving this a try to go with some baby back's this weekend.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #238
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for posting , sounds good. will be trying soon.
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #239
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Ok, I made a batch of this yesterday, and... Well... Dunno. All I taste is vinegar. Not saying it is bad, but maybe not what I am used to or expecting.

I made it exactly as the recipe said except using Cholula instead of the Texas Pete. Looked at the store and TP was in a huge bottle and Cholula was in a perfect 2 oz or 1/4 cup bottle. Blended it in my blender, put it in plastic squirt bottles. I'll taste it again today and... Well, not sure what I'll do.

Maybe it is just not right for me...

EDIT: Ok, just talked to the wife about that bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar we have. She / we have no idea how long it has been there. Neither of us has used it in a long time. Maybe years. Any chance it pickled? Can vinegar pickle? Maybe that is the reason. I just tasted the sauce again and I can taste some spices trying to come through, but first and foremost I still mainly taste vinegar.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].

Last edited by THoey1963; 01-19-2014 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: New info...
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #240
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

fresh is best, I guess, the vinegar taste seems more to me a finishing sauce for pork, I wonder if you could put it in a pan and heat it up as you mix together would help mask or blend the flavor better to avoid the wait of 24 hours or so ,