MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #7336
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
For the holes in the bottom for the pipe nipples is there any reason why a 1" hole saw can not be used versus the "step bit" alot seem to use?
I've used the hole saw and unibit methods. Hole saw is a PIA compared to the unibit IMO.

The Unibit works great. If you stop at the right step on the bit, you can thread the nipple right into the drum. ( I still tack weld it on the inside)
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #7337
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
I've used the hole saw and unibit methods. Hole saw is a PIA compared to the unibit IMO.

The Unibit works great. If you stop at the right step on the bit, you can thread the nipple right into the drum. ( I still tack weld it on the inside)
Not sure why you think a hole saw is a pita. Punch where you want to drill. Use a 1" hole saw made for metal a drill your hole. Bam a 3/4" pipe will screw right in no problem. Takes maybe 10 seconds to drill a hole.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #7338
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post

I only have used the hole saw. I've only had one issue with it. Once it wobbled a little bit as it was cutting. This resulted in a slightly larger hole than the nipple which kept me from being able to thread the nipple into the side of the drum like I had every other time I used it. All I had to do was use two conduit nuts - one on the outside and one on the inside - to lock it into place.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #7339
zwylde1
Take a breath!

I was planning on using the conduit nuts no matter what. Nothing like having your nipple fall off at the wrong time!
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #7340
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
I was planning on using the conduit nuts no matter what. Nothing like having your nipple fall off at the wrong time!
ouch?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #7341
N8man
Babbling Farker

I also used a hole saw for my DrumPit...1.25" for 1" nipples
on my build....
Just lube the saw with olive oil and it will cut a cleaner hole....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7342
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Olive Oil....Do I need Popeye as well! LOL Just kidding. Olive Oil any better than cutting oil??

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #7343
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Figured I would share what my finished UDS looks like. I went with a vikings theme and used engine paint and a magnet. Plus it has the much desired bottle opener mod.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #7344
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

oh I meant to write something about the hole drilling.

I looked for a step bit that went as big as 1" holes and actually did not find one. Apparently that is hard to find. But I decide to try the 1" hole bit.. however I chose one that also has inside of it a regular drill bit that acts like a pilot for the larger cut.

It worked perfectly and was $20 compared to step bit which would be about twice as much.

After drilling with the 1" hole saw with the pilot in it, the 3/4" iron nipples fit perfectly and snug. I then tightened a conduit nut on the inside and another on the outside as far as it goes and it's totally fine. The 3/4" iron nipples actually bulge in the middle and it creates a perfect fit. No need to solder or anything weird like that.

In other news!! I found this great site from Poland with lots of cool info on smoking in general, with some cool baffle ideas for smokers that look like drums:
(http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokeho...ehouse-baffles)
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #7345
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
oh I meant to write something about the hole drilling.

I looked for a step bit that went as big as 1" holes and actually did not find one. Apparently that is hard to find. But I decide to try the 1" hole bit.. however I chose one that also has inside of it a regular drill bit that acts like a pilot for the larger cut.

It worked perfectly and was $20 compared to step bit which would be about twice as much.

After drilling with the 1" hole saw with the pilot in it, the 3/4" iron nipples fit perfectly and snug. I then tightened a conduit nut on the inside and another on the outside as far as it goes and it's totally fine. The 3/4" iron nipples actually bulge in the middle and it creates a perfect fit. No need to solder or anything weird like that.

In other news!! I found this great site from Poland with lots of cool info on smoking in general, with some cool baffle ideas for smokers that look like drums:
Harbor Freight, 2 pack of step bits to 1 3/8" $14.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #7346
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Alrighty Brethern...got a couple of barrels at home now. Just loaded up a bunch of pallets and as long as nothing comes up, going to do up a big burn Saturday or Sunday to start the process. Better stock up on beer tonight!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #7347
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Thanks for the link... Interesting concept with the two baffles. I started using one on my cooks, just using a simple pizza pan with holes in it. Found a larger 16" pan w/ bigger holes that I'm going to modify slightly and try out. I do like using a diffuser, as my meats are more evenly cooked, especially when cooking more than one piece that you can't center over the heat.

Only draw back I've found is it takes a little longer to cook, and use a little more fuel, but for me the end results are well worth it.
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #7348
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Thanks for the link... Interesting concept with the two baffles. I started using one on my cooks, just using a simple pizza pan with holes in it. Found a larger 16" pan w/ bigger holes that I'm going to modify slightly and try out. I do like using a diffuser, as my meats are more evenly cooked, especially when cooking more than one piece that you can't center over the heat.

Only draw back I've found is it takes a little longer to cook, and use a little more fuel, but for me the end results are well worth it.
Glad I could add something good to the thread.
The "little more fuel" is still a far cry from the GOBS of fuel I had to use with my offset during the colder season. In late Fall I would need over 1 bag of charcoal! But with UDS I can do the same thing with a 1/3rd of a bag in much colder temps of the Winter.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #7349
stglide
On the road to being a farker

@ Coewar.... Yep! Definitely, the UDS is fast becoming a favorite cooker of mine, and my neighbors!! (they just like my food when I start cooking! lol ) I've got a cheapo offset too, that I was never happy with, so now I've decided to "challenge" myself as to how I can modify or work on it to make it more the way I want it to work. I think a BBQ Guru incorporated to help regulate the temps would be a step, and do some work on a baffle, but it is now a secondary, if not third choice for me!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #7350
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

My nephew hooked me up with some new wheels for the drum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1294505693181.jpg (31.5 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1294505724811.jpg (35.5 KB, 744 views)

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker