Pork butts in butcher paper?

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of discussion about wrapping brisket in butcher paper as opposed to foil, but I don't recall anyone talking about butcher paper on a butt. I recently obtained a roll of paper and will do a brisket and butts this weekend and will try the brisket in paper instead of foil. Any reason I shouldn't do the butts in the paper as well?

I wrap butts with butcher paper once, and if, the bark gets to the color I like. I then rewrap in BP to rest them in a cooler for a min of 2 hours. Works better than foil in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of discussion about wrapping brisket in butcher paper as opposed to foil, but I don't recall anyone talking about butcher paper on a butt. I recently obtained a roll of paper and will do a brisket and butts this weekend and will try the brisket in paper instead of foil. Any reason I shouldn't do the butts in the paper as well?

I did the a butt in the butcher paper this weekend on my new assassin smoker. I wrapped it in three sheets after it hit around 165 and the color I wanted, opened it up at 195 and it had a lot of juices in the sheet. Do it, it works great and no mushy bark.

I did it for the first time this weekend. After two hours in the BP, the bark got a little mushy, so I pulled it out for the last hour and it was beautiful. There was so much moisture in the paper that it kept the whole thing moist. Whether it was attributable to the BP or not, it was the moistest pork I've had yet.

I've done it and liked the results. Bark turns out better than wrapping in foil I think, for the same reasons people wrap briskets in paper.

Here's how one looked after holding and unwrapping:

IMG_5228.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured the benefits would be the same as they are for brisket, but I'd never heard anyone talk about pork+BP. I thought maybe everyone knew something that I didn't. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Does cooking time speed up with the butchers paper as it does with foil?

Virginia, reading my mind. What is a good source of BP? I don't have a RD card, so that won't work for me. I do have Costco and Sam's memberships - do they have it there? Anybody know?

I just bought mine at Amazon. 765 ft of 30 inch wide brown paper. 40# weight. It was listed as USDA/FDA approved for food.

I think most suggest the Red or Pink paper since that's what Franklin's apparently uses, but I just wanted the free Prime 2-day shipping from Amazon. Didn't want to risk not getting it by Friday.

So when you use BP do you then wrap in foil to keep in a cooler or more BP?

Back