60# case of pork bellies, coupla questions

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I got a quote of $2.05/lb for a 60# case of frozen skinless bellies from a local wholesaler. I know the price is good but am unsure of thawing frozen bellies, curing and smoking for bacon, then slicing, packaging and re-freezing. Anyone done this?

Also, besides looking at the meat to make sure it has a decent meat/fat ratio and good color, what do I need to know? I've heard that pork isn't graded per se, but have also heard of "1,2,3,4, and utility pork" and am not sure if this is industry recognized. I generally trust the people at the dealer to answer me honestly, I've shopped there quite a bit. But I want to make sure I'm prodding and asking the right questions if ya have any to suggest. Also, should I expect this to be from anywhere besides the USA and if so, what other countries are common/ok? THANKS FARKERS! :becky:

I get 15 lb fresh bellies, freeze, cure, smoke, vacu seal, and freeze. Works fine. That is a great price for skinless bellies as long as they are thick.

It will be fine, as you smoke and raise the temperature, the meat begins to lose moisture and although it is technically not cooked, the meat begins to firm up.

Just remember to vac-seal or seal extremely well as the fat is more susceptible to freezer-burn.

Post some pics of the process for us..

I would like to see 60 lbs of belly!

I hope you have a slicer!

Double this and you've got 60 pounds...that is a bunch of belly.

null-1-1.jpg

I've bought frozen, thawed, cured, smoked, sliced, sealed and froze with no issues.

I hope you have a slicer!

Double this and you've got 60 pounds...that is a bunch of belly.

null-1-1.jpg

I've bought frozen, thawed, cured, smoked, sliced, sealed and froze with no issues.

I'm probably splitting it with one or two farking friends from on here. 20#-30# for each of us should be plenty!

i dont see any problems. i've made bacon from frozen belly with no problems. hopefully it is thick belly though. i smoked bacon from a thin belly this weekend and it end up not being pretty. tasty, but not pretty. the slices were crazy skinny.

I buy bellies by the case. Always two to a case. And 30-40# net. Tell your supplier what you want and what you will reject. If he's a good guy he will work with you.

Back