Blind taste testing!!

Is that right? I thought the consensus was that the Maks had the most stickburner-esque flavor profile?

My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?

My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?

Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...
049ab90d06771783b22cb1053590c98d.jpg

Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...

In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:

Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?

Last edited:
do you polish that after every cook or what :p

In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:

Oh yes, I have pondered that many times myself. I can’t help but think it’s another reason for the more pronounced smoke profile that so many report. With rear venting at grate level vs a stack... it’s definitely gonna hold onto smoke longer before exiting. Yes, the smoke seeps out the sides... but it’s still much slower than a wide open stack.

These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner

These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner

Would have loved to see a UDS in the lineup! :)

Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.

Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?

do you polish that after every cook or what :p

That's actually a pic of yours... lol! Have you let my baby go downhill? :'(

And no, I don't polish after every cook. My cleaning regimen takes > 5 minutes after a cook. Easy peasy if you keep it up :)

Actually Robb it is cleaner now than when I picked it up. I was only razzing ya because I'm that guy polishing all the cookers each weak

Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there

Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there

I couldn’t agree more! The choices in different smokers, grills, meats, techniques, rubs, etc. is why I love this hobby so much. It never gets old

Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.

True.

I'd love to get a stick burner, but even a backyard offset is not feasible for my urban living. As crazy as it sounds, I've gone as far as contemplating a summer place in WI or MI so I could have more space for an offset... and lake property.

Not at all surprised by the results. I have used all four and currently own an RF and a Kamado and agree almost completely. Stick burners simply produce better tasting bbq, but require the most work.

The one thing I don’t agree with is most of the differences he talked about between the traditional and RF offset are due to the different size stacks on those two smokers. Switch the stacks and the RF would flow more air and (if run wide open) burn more fuel. An RF and traditional with the same size inlets and stacks will have pretty much identical flow rates and efficiency. The RF may be more even end to end but skilled use of tuning plates could match or even beat an RF in even temps, especially if the guy running the RF is less familiar with it. In other words, pit master skill is a bigger differentiator than the offset pit style.

Also, he left out the WSM and drum smokers which are pretty darn common. I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.

I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.

Don’t agree here. Fat drippings are a either love or hate kind of thing and I believe it would rack up quite a few votes from the ones in the love it category. You’ve got some very successful drum guys in the competition realm for instance. The flavor if controlled seems to be pretty popular. Controlled is the key though

I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years

I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years

That’s a really good point

Back