MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Choosing frozen shrimp

The last couple of shrimp purchases we have made have not been at all good. Mushy and tasteless. So, with a Throwdown going on, I thought it would be a good time to ask.
Shell on or off? Cooked or raw? As far as we live from the sea, fresh frozen is the best we can expect. Everything I've seen for a while is imported.
What say the experts?

Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Fresh and raw are best. I like the ez peel where the shell is still on but its split down the back and already deveined.

I have had decent success with the pre frozen raw bags at Costco for a pinch and I keep a bag in the freezer. However I think the larger shrimp do better in this form than the smaller ones with less of an impact on texture.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

America's test kitchen did a segment on shrimp a while back, and basically if you're not buying directly off the boat, the frozen bagged shrimp is the best, because they're frozen on the boat and kept frozen until you thaw them. My preference is the bigger ones, shell on, and wild caught, not farmed.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

The freezing process crystallizes moisture in the shrimp's body and explodes cells, etc. leading to flavor loss. This is inevitable in the freezing process. You can minimize the flavor loss by buying the frozen shrimp in as whole a condition as you can. My preference would be whole, not de-veined with head on.

Having said that, even those of us fortunate enough to have access to fresh still by frozen from time to time for convenience. Trade-offs.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I'm lucky enough to be able to buy fresh raw shrimp 20 minutes outa the water.
I have gotten frozen before, but it just doesn't compare. I would buy raw frozen shell on. But the key is to get them de-veined first! Not only is it a PITA to do, but nasty to boot!
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Raw Frozen, shell on.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Read the label & buy domestic. Get them large & as whole as possible...raw, uncooked. I feel you'll have a better chance of getting decent flavor.

Heading, shelling, and de-veining doesn't bother me...we do a couple hundred pounds a week on average around here.

As a side note...anyone ever seen blue shrimp?

Last edited by Cook; 12-13-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm in the raw, frozen, shell on boat as well. Occasionally I can find frozen Texas Gulf shrimp.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

frozen, raw, shell on wild caught. Keep in mind that gulf shrimpers stay out on the water for a long time. They freeze their catch on the boat, so pretty much all gulf shrimp has been frozen by the time it gets to the dock.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Hit your local Meijer store. They often have Argentinian red shrimp on sale. I get the shell on then shell and devein them myself. The reds stay firm and accept seasoning really well.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #11
jfusaro
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How do you defrost them, did you set them in a water bowl, maybe to long.
I get frozen shrimp from big y defrost them in the bag and they are not 1/2 bad.
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #12
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have to buy frozen, the best would be non imported whole fresh shrimp, preferably fresh as possible from the Gulf here. My only further suggestion is to not get the IQF (instant quick freeze) shrimp from the boats that stay out for a while. They quick freeze them and are aggravating to peel, and my opinion is they lose texture and taste in that process. You can tell those by the eyes missing if they are head on shrimp.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

I buy white shrimp when the boats are running in the gulf. If you want I'll give you a link to who I use. Keep in mind these are a 5# frozen block, I semi thaw them and divide up into smaller bags.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #14
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Does anyone look at the country of origin when buying shrimp, scallops, or other shellfish? I worry about pollution where much of my available shellfish comes from, so I strongly prefer products that come from US fishing grounds.

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
smoke-n-mirrors
On the road to being a farker

US wild caught only. I saw a farm raised shrimp video from I believe it was Malaysia or Cambodia. They farm raise the shrimp in the sewage ponds while adding tons of antibiotics! Haven't eaten any farm raised seafood since.