Frist brisket on the Lone Star

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've had my LSG 20 x 42 for right at a year now. By the time I got it and played with it for a month we were right in the middle of covid. We decided the two families our kids car pool with are safe to be in close contact with since our kids are in a car with them everyday anyway.

I bought the brisket in May 2020 from Costco. At the time I bought it out of vague fear meat might become hard to get. It's been in the deep freeze ever since.

The cook:

Straight forward TX style brisket. Trim cap to about 1/4", cut some of the deckle off and shape her up purdy. Equal parts sea salt and coarse black pepper. This beast was 18 lbs untrimmed

On to the smoker:

fZX5VCK.jpg

Smoked at 275ish for 6.5 hrs with all post oak. This is where I took a big left turn. I was happy with the color and didn't want to be up all night. Decided it's time to try the oven. Wrapped in butcher paper then placed in oven at 250 (dropped to 225 once past stall):

Iyj8t9R.jpg

12 hrs later she hit about 201 and it probbed like jelly. Wrapped in towels and threw it in the pelican cooler. 8 hrs later it was sitting right at 140 deg and time to carve:

SToL6th.jpg

4n3TZSb.jpg

oN1940h.jpg

It was the second best brisket I've ever made. Best was a waygu on a 500 gal offset. I really couldn't have asked for anything better on this cook. I'm blown away by the depth of flavor, tenderness and juiciness. There really is no substitute in my mind for a true stick burner.

People familiar with briskets will immediately note the oddball shape. I bought it right when all the meat packing places were struggling to find/keep workers. What I thought was a brisket with a huge point in the cryovac turned out to be a ridiculously huge flat with a teeny little point sitting up top. It all turned out great but there were a lot of snickers as to the rather phallic protuberance sitting atop my brisket!

Last edited:
Looks awesome Robert! Nothing like a stick burner brisket.

Looks good to me, all that food looks great

Is it wrong that it's only been a week and I already want to make another? Writing the thread and looking at the pics has me craving more. :mrgreen:

What's the acceptable amount of time before asking the wife if I can make her another mouth watering delicious brisket meal?

Is it wrong that it's only been a week and I already want to make another? Writing the thread and looking at the pics has me craving more. :mrgreen:

What's the acceptable amount of time before asking the wife if I can make her another mouth watering delicious brisket meal?

You can ask her, but sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :wink:

Your brisket looks fantastic. You know you are among good friends and family if they snicker about your oddly familiar shaped brisket. I have done back to back briskets without much hassle but, a very good alternative would be some nice beef ribs.

With a spread like that, I guess my invite got lost in the mail. Nice brisket.

Robert, Outstanding!!!!!
That is the type of feast that makes you want to Do It Again!!!
So, just Do It!!!
I am sure if they enjoyed the first, they wont say no to a second.

Oh man, that brisket looks amazing and great spread!
I can´t wait to do cooks for friends and family.

Tasty looking hunk of cow you made there. Nice to hit a home run first time out!

That's an excellent looking brisket. How about the sausage and everything that was brought to the party. I could definitely hit up a to go plate of all that!

Mighty fine meal right there!

Wow, can't thank you enough for posting this.

I'm going to cook my very first whole packer probably Friday and I got on here with the intention of starting a thread asking if anyone has tried wrapping with butcher paper and using the oven to finish the cook.

I plan on using the oven because the forecast is calling for 19 degrees here Friday morning with a high in the low 30's and 6 or 7 hours is about all I want to be outside tending a fire. Mine weighs in at 17.6 lbs so I know it's going to be a long cook.

That's a great looking meal by the way.

Is that one of them elusive left handed briskets? [emoji1787]
There was a time that I would cook a brisket nearly every weekend for months. They used to be cheap. That's the best way to learn.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back