New UDS Maiden Voyage with PRON Pics

G

gannimal007

First off - Hi everybody. This is my first post outside of the Cattle Call.

I found this forum via the UDS thread and I've read or skimmed almost 1/2 of it. Through that reading, I was convinced to purchase or make one. For the record, I had never heard of an UDS until I searched CL for smoker and found a guy selling one. Until that point, I had played around with smoking using a h2o brinkman ECB look alike and even with the mods - it drove me crazy. So, I had been researching the interweb and searching CL to see what was out there and how everything works and I came across the guy selling the UDS. I spent a few days reading the long UDS thread here and compiling info on how to build one and decided to just buy this one on CL to see how I liked it.

Yesterday, I decided to fire it up and throw on a rack of BB ribs and a rack of Spares. The BB's were rubbed w/ a store bought rub and the spares came pre-rubbed from a grocery in the area. It's heresy, I know, but, I was focused on the fire and didn't really care about the rest. I did 3-2-1 for spares and 2-2-1 for BB. I'm a texas boy so don't really like a heavy glaze so I just brushed on a light mixture of Q sauce, ACV, brown sugar, and butter.

Anyways, everything turned out rather well. What I learned from my first voyage was that you really only need 10 - 15 briquettes in the chimney to get a good fire going. I started 2/3 of a chimney and really had choke her down alot. Here are the before and after pics. Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• 100_3853.jpg
    100_3853.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_3854.jpg
    100_3854.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_3855.jpg
    100_3855.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_3856.jpg
    100_3856.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_3857.jpg
    100_3857.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_3858.jpg
    100_3858.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 109
Looks pretty tasty from where I sit...congrats on your first UDS smoke...:p

going at it again

Thanks everybody. They were really yummy!

I've got a 1/2 butt on right now that has been goin' slow at between 220 and 270 for the last 3 hours. Just plugged in the thermometer and we're sitting at 145 internally. I figure that in a few more hours that sucker's gonna be DELICIOUS!

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done! :biggrin:

Looks like you're off to a GREAT start!

this UDS stuff is killer

I'll tell ya what - this UDS is amazing. For the last 90 minutes it has stuck right between 225 - 250. Pale blue smoke whisping out of the exhaust. This is a dream compared to the nightmare of maintaining good temps w/ the modified ECB!

My butt is at 152 internal right now. it's 4.5 pounds and I put it on at 8:30 figuring I could take it off around 3:30 to 4 ... I hope it's done by then! Shooting for 200 internal, we'll see ....

I'll tell ya what - this UDS is amazing. For the last 90 minutes it has stuck right between 225 - 250. Pale blue smoke whisping out of the exhaust. This is a dream compared to the nightmare of maintaining good temps w/ the modified ECB!

My butt is at 152 internal right now. it's 4.5 pounds and I put it on at 8:30 figuring I could take it off around 3:30 to 4 ... I hope it's done by then! Shooting for 200 internal, we'll see ....

Man,don't ya just hate that thing.:-D Sounds like ya got the hang of it.
The Ribs look great! Thanks for the pics.

Back