MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #3286
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayDown View Post
Thanks for that info. So you have noticed no odd taste from the briquettes? What type are you using?
I have mostly cooked fattys and butts on it and I can't tell any difference. Some guys might but it's all the same to me. Mmmm...Good!

I've been using the Kingsford. HD had it 2 for $8.97 last weekend.

David
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #3287
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

[quote

There seems to be some difference of opinion on what to use as far as lump vs. briquettes. Can you use lump and get a long burn? Or is a mixture better? What about flavor of the meat from igniting the non lump?

My charcoal basket is 16" in diameter and 8.5" tall.[/quote]

My basket is 13" dia. x 12" tall. Never filled to the top though.
I use just lump and smoke wood in all of my cookers. I don't like the smell or the taste produced by the briquettes lighting off. I will use briquettes for grilling or even starting off the smokers, but no meat of mine is near an unlit briquette.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #3288
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Now you've gone and done it. Gonna make me put away my new toy I got for my birthday. I received a Char Griller Duo this spring to replace an old old gas grill that I could no longer get parts for. It had a SFB, so we tried using it since it was there anyway. WOW!! Had never given it a thought until then. My first couple smokes hooked me HARD!! It's a whole new taste sensation for our family. BBQ with the flavor in the meat istead of having to drown stuff in sauce. I'm having trouble holding temps in the CG, and I'm tired of babysitting it, I started researching solutions. I kept running across references on different sites to these UDS things...

You've got me convinced that this is the way to go for "set it and forget it" smoking. At least in comparison to the messing about I'm having to do with the CG. The CG will stay for direct cooks and maybe more playing with it trying to get it to hold a temp properly. The build quality on it is horrendous. Chineze standards all the way through.

I've been trying to find a near-freebie barrel the last few weeks, to no avail. I know I've seen them in the past out behind automotive shops and in the industrial sections of town. I've been up and down alleys all over town trying to find one. Steel drums don't seem to be a dime-a-dozen like they used to be (too many places switching to plastic drums). I did some calling around today and found a couple used drums for 15 bucks--the UN-rated heavy metal units. Supposed to be good and sound, just not pretty.

I was wanting to do this as cheap as possible, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy the grates. I figure magnets to cover the intakes--there's a gazillion on the fridge. I can probably scrounge some expanded metal at the in-laws next weekend for the firebox. Or I can use the one I made for the CG. Is 12 X 12 X6 big enough to do me any good in a UDS? I can add bolts to the bottom to raise it up.

One thing I have not seen come up on this thread (and yes, I've read it all) is directing the air flow through the firebox. On the SFB, I concocted a baffle that blocked air from going around the charcoal basket. This would seem like a good idea on a UDS, but nobody has mentioned it. I'm thinking fold-down flaps on the charcaol box that would conform to the inside contour of the drum. After you put the firebox in place, you would just knock the flaps down, creating a barrier, forcing all air to go through the fire. It should allow you to create a hotter fire with less fuel. meaning that the charcoal should last even longer at the lower temps we smoke at. Or is the air flowing around the firebox needed to create that "convection" effect you guys mention frequently? It might also make it easier to clean the bottom out. You would be bringing the bottom up with you everytime you took the charcoal box out. Any thoughts? Seems logical to me, but what do I know? I'm new at this.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. The info here is terrific. Even the info that isn't always in agreement. Most folks here seem to be pretty laid-back and not overly dogmatic that something has to be done "THIS way, and ONLY this way"

I'll post pics as I get into the build.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #3289
MattCom
Take a breath!

I have a SS 55gal drum and I really do not want to attempt to remove the top w/ a saws-all and cutting wheel.
So do any of you know what types of companies use these Barrel-deheaders?

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #3290
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I have a SS 55gal drum and I really do not want to attempt to remove the top w/ a saws-all and cutting wheel.
So do any of you know what types of companies use these Barrel-deheaders?
Lotsa stuff on "deheader" Just use the search function

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #3291
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
me any good in a UDS? I can add bolts to the bottom to raise it up.

One thing I have not seen come up on this thread (and yes, I've read it all) is directing the air flow through the firebox. On the SFB, I concocted a baffle that blocked air from going around the charcoal basket. This would seem like a good idea on a UDS, but nobody has mentioned it. I'm thinking fold-down flaps on the charcaol box that would conform to the inside contour of the drum. After you put the firebox in place, you would just knock the flaps down, creating a barrier, forcing all air to go through the fire. It should allow you to create a hotter fire with less fuel. meaning that the charcoal should last even longer at the lower temps we smoke at. Or is the air flowing around the firebox needed to create that "convection" effect you guys mention frequently? It might also make it easier to clean the bottom out. You would be bringing the bottom up with you everytime you took the charcoal box out. Any thoughts? Seems logical to me, but what do I know? I'm new at this.
Sorta like a putting cup?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #3292
Norcoredneck

Cup like that catching 4 butts of grease, might be quite the nmess after a few cooks. You got a fire/heat at the bottom of a tube, where else can it go but up? remember what ever you put down in there has to clear the grate supports on the way up.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #3293
RI-Deadeye
Found some matches.

Default SS Drum Build

One SS drum 95% complete, pics to follow. One question, for the inaugural cherry busting should I spray with Pam or just go ahead and throw a well rubbed Pork Butt on? I am on the fence on this because I really am having difficulty with the idea of just burning lump and some wood and not having any meat on the grill, it just seems so wasteful.
RI-Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #3294
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Just spray it down, fire it up and put some meat on it. Fattys seem to be the favorite inaugural sacrifice. Once the meat is done ramp up the heat for a while and then shut it down. You will feel good at not just cooking air and you will have drum with the beginnings of a life time of seasoning. Happy cooking.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #3295
hondad
Knows what a fatty is.

Default question from a newb

I have been reading this thread for at least a hour a day for over a week, and I so want to build one of these! My problem is I can't find a food-grade barrel, no one in this area sells new barrels, and to buy a new barrel, or even a used one, from out-of-state adds about 50 bucks to the price.
I have a few potential leads on barrels that have contained motor oil, hydraulic fluid, and gear grease - would any of these be safe to use [after a burn-out, of course]?
hondad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #3296
Norcoredneck

Keep reading, opinions vary.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #3297
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondad View Post
I have been reading this thread for at least a hour a day for over a week, and I so want to build one of these! My problem is I can't find a food-grade barrel, no one in this area sells new barrels, and to buy a new barrel, or even a used one, from out-of-state adds about 50 bucks to the price.
I have a few potential leads on barrels that have contained motor oil, hydraulic fluid, and gear grease - would any of these be safe to use [after a burn-out, of course]?

I suggest putting an ad on craigs list or your local freecycle.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #3298
hondad
Knows what a fatty is.

I tried the Craig's List ad last week - got about seven replies, most from folks that had barrels with oil, hydraulic fluid, truck bed liner - only one guy had two barrels that were food grade 9 { a board member, btw} but he wasn't really interested in selling. Looks like I might end up with one very expensive UDS, because it is looking like I will have to have one shipped to me.
hondad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #3299
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Actually hondad, an unlined barrel that contained motor oil, is safer than a lined barrel that you have to burn out. Just clean it out with some strong detergent and see if it starts to rust. If it does, you're good to go.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #3300
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Actually hondad, an unlined barrel that contained motor oil, is safer than a lined barrel that you have to burn out. Just clean it out with some strong detergent and see if it starts to rust. If it does, you're good to go.
Tide powder with warm water cuts oil residue real well.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker