MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #16
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
We are in. Just got my parents lined up to take care of my daughter.

Tommy wanted to have a team name so we are competing under the name Tommy and Daddy
Steak Team. Should be fun.
I'll see you there.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That will be a great experience for both of you! Now it is time for practice!
Picked up some steaks from Sam' Club. Going to practice tomorrow night after work. Going to get Tommy to help me tomorrow night too. Should be fun.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Picked up some steaks from Sam' Club. Going to practice tomorrow night after work. Going to get Tommy to help me tomorrow night too. Should be fun.
What are you going to use for a grill? Do you have grill grates?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #19
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
What are you going to use for a grill? Do you have grill grates?
I don't have grill grates. I have an old charbroil barrel grill that I just dug out of the junk behind the shed. I rebuilt it. It was never good at anything but high heat. Thats how it got put out there. Its also the reason I resurrected it was because it gets crazy hot. Easily between 600-650 degrees.

If Tommy has fun we will invest more into it.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
Ron_L

Grill graters don’t cost much and will help a lot with appearance. Either that or use cast iron to get a good sear, and practice nailing a medium steak.

Check out the How To BBQ Right (Malcom Reed) video on cooking an SCA steak.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 AM   #21
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Grill graters don’t cost much and will help a lot with appearance. Either that or use cast iron to get a good sear, and practice nailing a medium steak.

Check out the How To BBQ Right (Malcom Reed) video on cooking an SCA steak.
Are grill grates hard to learn to use? If I use cast iron do you mean a cast iron pan or like a universal cast iron grate? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #22
Serious Hog
On the road to being a farker

Default grill marks

We cook steaks on a grate like this to get this grill marks. We preheat the grate in there so it's good and hot when the steaks land on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42331121_566209023796511_3995920517159714816_n.jpg (49.1 KB, 182 views)

WSM 18.5" X4, WSM 22.5", WSM 14", Weber OTG 22.5", Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Go Anywhere, Char-Griller Outlaw, Char-Griller Pro, Old Smokey, Masterbuilt Elite
Serious Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
WrightonQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I would get a set of grill grates. They are simple to use and really help with getting good clean grill marks.
BGE Large
Weber Kettle
UDS
WrightonQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightonQ View Post
I would get a set of grill grates. They are simple to use and really help with getting good clean grill marks.
I think I am going to order some. I can't seem to make it as good looking as I would like. I am hitting medium doneness. I hate to lose points on appearance.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
spuhn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I entered my first SCA event a few weeks ago (Grill Your Steak Off in West Newton, PA) with my 9yr old son and we both loved it. It was a great time for us to get out of the house and spend time together plus the other teams thought it was awesome he came out and taught him a few things. It was a very family friendly event and I plan on hitting up as many as I can around PA/OH/MD/WV next year.

I went in with very low expectations for placing, I just wanted to see what it was about. I bough my rubs at the store the event was at, went to the Dollar General for additional supplies and cooked on my PBC. I knew I wouldn't get grill marks but the flavor on my practice steak was amazing. I found myself addicted and the fact we were in/out in 8hrs was great for a guy with a crazy shcedule. The biggest thing I learned, ask questions/advice from the teams around you. I ended up having the 1st and 3rd place teams next to me and their tips were invaluable.
spuhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #26
Ron_L

Quote:
Are grill grates hard to learn to use? If I use cast iron do you mean a cast iron pan or like a universal cast iron grate? Thanks.
Cast iron grates can work, but GrillGrates are better for grill marks. If you would rather sear, then a cast iron skillet or flat griddle would work.

Grill Grates are easy to use. Get them hot and put the food on them Just like everything, there are some tricks. I prefer to have them at 600 degrees for SCA steaks (an IR thermometer is a great tool). That gives me good grill marks and still gets some color on the rest of the steak. Too hot and the marks can get scorched and the rest of the steak will be gray. At 600 degrees my cook time is approx. 6 minutes (90 seconds, rotate, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, rotate and 90 more seconds. unless the steak is thin, or at one comp, at a higher temperature to start due to excessive heat, that usually gets to to around 120 internal. Then I move it to indirect and cook to my desired internal temp for medium.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Sam’s club steaks are likely to be thicker than what you get at a contest. Keep that in mind during practice

Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #28
didisea
Take a breath!

This is a good video to watch to get your steak turning and flipping down. And I know its counter intuitive, but you should cook the steaks one at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEShU6exOr8
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #29
Ron_L

Hey Rusty and spuhn...

There is an SCA cookoff on Saturday where you have to cook on a charcoal chimney! I wish it was closer to us. That sounds like fun!

https://www.steakcookoffs.com/event-...ate=10/18/2018

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #30
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Cast iron grates can work, but GrillGrates are better for grill marks. If you would rather sear, then a cast iron skillet or flat griddle would work.

Grill Grates are easy to use. Get them hot and put the food on them Just like everything, there are some tricks. I prefer to have them at 600 degrees for SCA steaks (an IR thermometer is a great tool). That gives me good grill marks and still gets some color on the rest of the steak. Too hot and the marks can get scorched and the rest of the steak will be gray. At 600 degrees my cook time is approx. 6 minutes (90 seconds, rotate, 90 seconds, flip, 90 seconds, rotate and 90 more seconds. unless the steak is thin, or at one comp, at a higher temperature to start due to excessive heat, that usually gets to to around 120 internal. Then I move it to indirect and cook to my desired internal temp for medium.
Great map for anyone getting started! When will you be posting your video covering current trends on trimming, shaping, and sculpting?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote