Smoke Stack Question

Beerwolf

Take a breath!
Reaction score
OK... I am about to finish this headache and burn some mamal on it. I have a couple of questions...what think all?

I have 2 options in my arsenal for Smoke Stacks:

1. A "buddy" grabbed me some 4" "conduit" it turned out to be Schedule 80. I am thinking that this thich chit will change the Center of Gravity of my Smoker and also act as a heat sink, taking all of the heat from the 3/16" thick body of my Smoker.

2. 3" Electrical Conduit, I know its Galvanized, but I am thinking after I max out the heat on the initial cure, there will be no way any issues could develop.

There will be 2 stacks on this thing, it is a 14-1/2" x 44" propane tank ( horizontal) with a 7 gallon firebox mounted below and in the center of the smoke box

How big is your air intake? I would probably go with the 4" without knowing more about the design. I have never seen a problem with too much exhaust on a smoker.

I have 2-3" air intakes.

I am wondering if 2-3" smoke stacks will be the same as one 6" stack?.

I am kind of leaning away from the 4" material I have because it is Schedule 80 and thicker than my boz

It will take more than a burn in to cook the galvining off, take a torch and burn it off before you weld it on to cooker, or build a fire in a barrel and put the pipe in to cook it off . iv'e seen it done both ways.

How big is your air intake? I would probably go with the 4" without knowing more about the design. I have never seen a problem with too much exhaust on a smoker.

hey C.C., please correct me if I'm wrong, but I know for me, My UDS cover is from a gasser, it has 5 big slots, lot of air goes out/ and in, it harder to control my fire, to hot..., I have to go tinfoil mod...not sure how only one 4 in. would be...it still would be less than my lid..

hey C.C., please correct me if I'm wrong, but I know for me, My UDS cover is from a gasser, it has 5 big slots, lot of air goes out/ and in, it harder to control my fire, to hot..., I have to go tinfoil mod...not sure how only one 4 in. would be...it still would be less than my lid..

I was asuming this smoker will be a stick burner. If it is a stick burner, you have a better chance of "bitter smoke" if the exhaust is too small.

I have no experience with the UDS (yet.....but I would like to build one :biggrin: ) but I could see how too much exhaust could cause problems on one of those.

just my .02

I have 2-3" air intakes.

I am wondering if 2-3" smoke stacks will be the same as one 6" stack?.

One 3" pipe has 7.068 sq in area. Two 3" pipes would have 14.136 sq in.
One 6" pipe would have 28.2735 sq in area, about four times a 3" and about twice that of two 3 " pipes together. :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back