My First Paid Catering Gig!

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have to start this with a big BUMMER!!!!! Why? Because my digital camera died and I dont have any pictures! :( Now on to the cook which started Friday night.

I am cooking pulled pork, brisket and potato salad for a crowd of 60. The customer is going to have guests bring additional side items, desserts, etc. I went to Sams Club and picked up two nice butts and two large brisket flats! I got buns, the base for my sauce and some other necessities for the cook and the event.

I made a batch of my custom rub but this time I used Splenda Brown Sugar - excellent!!! This is the best batch of rub I have made to date. This is definitely competition blend. I got my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro (CG) prepped and up to temp while I rubbed the meat. I decided to use only the CG for this cook because I did not want to work two cookers at once tonight.

8:00p - The Meat Goes On!
Two butts, two briskets and a bunch of rib tips I got for snacks! The CG temp was 250* when I opened it to put the meat in, but it quickly dropped to 200* - because the meat was cold and it was a lot of it! I put in some wood; hickory and apple, and things were under way.

9:30p - Time To Make A Change!
The CG smoker temp got up to 250* again in about 30 minutes but it began to fluctuate a lot! I figured it was because I had so much meat in the cooker. So, I decided to take some of the load off the CG and fire up the WSM. I got the WSM up to temp and put one brisket flat on the bottom rack and both butts on the top rack. I left one brisket flat on the CG along with the rib tips. By 10:00p the switch was made and now things are running smoothly on both smokers. The CG was holding and 250* and the CG was holding at 250* also - right where I want them! :)

Midnight - CG Needs Some Fuel!
The coals were starting to get low in the CG fire box, so I lit a chimney that I had on standy. While the coals where getting hot, I foiled my rib tips so they will be nice and tender. They are already done but I want these falling off the bone. I filled up my CG fire box and the temp is still holding at 250*. I closed the damper a bit to compensate for the additional heat. I will adjust it again later when the temp starts to fall off.

4:30a - Foil The Briskets.
Both briskets are doing well and are running about 165*. In the thin part of the points I am getting 170* so I thought I would foil them now. The butts are are running at 188*. I think these will be ready in 12 or 13 hours. This is the shortest time I have ever cooked butts. I will let these go until they reach 205 to make sure they are nice and pullable. They look great. I had to add fuel to the CG again too. I really have to get a second WSM so I can get some sleep. I will keep the CG for short cooks and grilling only. For all-nighters, I need the stability and self-maintenance of the WSM.

6:00a - Briskets Are Done!
I just took the two foiled briskets off the smoker. They were both reading 190+ degree in the thin and thick of the flats. They look very juicy and the probe easily slide in and out of both. The butts are still holding at 188* so I know they are not going to be ready until later this morning. I took a sneak peek at one of the briskets; I cut into one just deep enough to see if the smoke ring was there and... it was there in a major way! Beautiful! Now I just have the two butts in the WSM - I'm going to sleep! :)

8:00a - Butts Are Live At 205*!
The butts are ready at 205* at 8:00a! Thats only a 12-hour cook at 250* - me likes it! :) They were about to fall apart as I pulled them off the smoker and I got to taste a piece that came off - excellent!! Now they go into the GE portable oven that I use as a warmer. I keep the temp at 140* so that the meat stays nice and warm. The tater salad is made and now I am doing my sauce. I love this stuff!

Success!!!
When I got to the customer location I got everything all setup but we were still an hour away from serving time. Several of the guests wanted to see the BBQ but I told them that I dont pull the pork or slice the brisket until serving time - they were fairly impressed and went back to the party with great expectations.

Finally, it was time to serve. A couple of guys came to the table where I was ready to pull the pork and were amazed as the bone easily slipped out of the butts! Their expressions: Whoa! Dang! Cool! I gave out some samples to get people talking about Q and several people made their way to the seving line ahead of the guest of honor! The pork was tender and smoky with a bark to die for and the brisket was juicy with a smoke ring like I had never seen before!

There was a mix of people who wanted on meat and no bun, some wanted lots of sauce and some no sauce at all! People came back several times as there was a lot of meat and some great sides. Everyone gave me many compliments and one guy who owns a restaurant wants to talk to me about providing pulled pork for his menu! This was an awesome day with some awesome people. I had fun and made a few bucks at the same time.

Outstanding! Take that guy up on doing the pulled pork for his restaurant. It is one thing that heats up real nice!

nice work, keep us posted on the pullled pork guy. i would like to see how this works our for you.

Congrats!!!!

I know right where you are coming from! It is always a great afterglow you get from a good job and the exhiliration you get from being done! Good job brother! Woodman

Way to go! Sounds like you'll have some regular customers!!

Can't ask for more than that... sounds like you did great and things fell into place... Congrats !

Way to go tony, word of mouth and you will be very busy.

If it tasted half as good as it read they were a very [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']privileged [/FONT]bunch"!

You did well. Looks like future business will be coming your way.

No pictures necessary. I'm salivating just from the description. Too bad you couldn't include scratch 'n sniffs.

Good job. I did my first gig last month for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We served nearly 300. I just did the meat. I also did pulled pork and brisket. It wasn't a paying gig but I also got a lot of complements. I'm looking forward to my first paying job. Someday.

Back