MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Do you find comment cards helpful?
Yes 164 83.25%
No 20 10.15%
Uncertain 13 6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Candy, first I commend you for asking the question. I'm sure you realize the potential this has for going south in a hurry and I am hopeful people will keep that in mind and keep things respectful as they respond.
Good call Greg.
Blue hat time...

All,
Please take this opportunity to help the KCBS better their comment card by offering helpful criticism and advice. This is not to be a dumping ground for your past problems. Candy Sue has asked us for help - let's show her how the Brethren represent.
Thanks,

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Like Ron_L said, if there is helpful information on the card, then the card is helpful.

The first comment card I received was for my chicken turn in at my first comp. It read "Perfect bite through skin". Normally, that would be very helpful except that we pulled the skin off of the thighs before saucing to make the chicken marginally edible.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Candy, first I commend you for asking the question. I'm sure you realize the potential this has for going south in a hurry and I am hopeful people will keep that in mind and keep things respectful as they respond.

I would love to get comment cards, but in my 10 contests I have not received a single card. I would love to get them for the 6s, the 9s and even the 7s and 8s.

The thing that concerns me is it seems the judges are told if they score below a 6, they have to fill out a card. In my limited experience of judging 1 contest, it seems that judges won't score below a 6 because they can't or won't justify why they don't like something or even do.

I like the idea of having pre set comments on the card. That would provide the cooks a little more feedback, but also give the judges something to base their comments on while speeding up the process of commenting. If you could come up with a way to make that workable, they should be mandatory for every entry regardless of the score.
Almost like a judging "wizard". Just a few check boxes on a perforated pad.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Yes!
Mandatory on scores below six and the pre-set comments would really help a cook dial in a bit quicker.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
All those comments are negative... Is there a worry that a judge will look at those and grade you down based on those comments instead of judging what is actually presented and their actual first impression.

I only listed an example of some of the possible constructive criticisms that could be included as checkboxes. We felt it would be necessary to have both critical and complimentary options available in addition to a few blank lines where a judge could add their own handwritten comments.

The majority of complaints regarding comment cards seems to be that the critical comments themselves often do not point out anything specific that a cook could find helpful and focus them toward an improvement.

Very few people complain about complimentary comment cards because, let's face it, when someone writes something like "Best rib I've ever eaten!", who needs more details?!?

Examples of complimentary comments could be things like:

Excellent Texture
Balanced Seasoning
Great Appearance
Brisk-a-Licious
Rib-Tastic

...just to name a few!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

I have found the comment cards I have gotten to be helpful, most of the time. I think that what ever would make it simple and quick (check Boxes) for the judges would be ideal.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I vote YES for comment cards. This is my favorite!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

I would love comment cards , got a 5 in taste a few weeks ago, first 5 ever. No comment card. This judge gave us the only 5 out of the two 8s and two 7s. O well hopeful I won't get a five again.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
Since the goal of teams not knowing their alternate number has been realized with KCBScore, comment cards will have to either be redacted so as to keep the alternate number hidden from the teams or another means of tracking will have to be instituted.

I don't see the process of redacting as being very laboreous once the cards have been attached to the proper score sheet. Total cost = 1 Permanant Black Magic Marker and 5 minutes of the Rep's time.
I am all in favor of the comment cards as is a concensus majority of the BOD. The only problem that I see is, the BOD member who is in charge of finding a solution, is against them in the first place and voted so. His job, as I understand it, is to form a committee and try to effect a solution. I think that ice water, cold day in Phoenix, etc. come to mind. We'll see.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Almost like a judging "wizard". Just a few check boxes on a perforated pad.
YES! Answers the question of consistency, but allows for personal tastes to enter the equation.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

For us being new to competition it is very helpful to us to have the comment card. We have no idea on what to improve on. We have to shoot from the hip.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
JD McGee

We find them very helpful over the course of the season sort of a barometer of how our meats are fairing in the long run. The occasional "off the wall" comment is usually worth a laugh or a few cuss words...lol!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I vote YES for comment cards. This is my favorite!

Alright rich ....
U received a 78& .... With a good comment .... Do you change anything

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
In 2011, the KCBS Rules Committee suggested that comment cards be modified so that there were check boxes that said things like:

Too Salty
Too Sweet
Too Spicey
Under Seasoned
Off Flavor
Over Cooked
Under Cooked

This idea was never addressed to the best of my knowledge but it sure seemed like a very good improvement to those of us on the committee.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

If sonething along the lines were put into place and made mandatory for scores 7 and below, I might be moved enough to purchase a LIFETIME KCBS MEMBERSHIP!!!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I like the comment cards, I think I think that a well written informative card for either a good or bad entry provides the cook with valuable information.

I also think they can be used as a way to provide valuable information about judges and what their thought process may be and provide for more accountability.

Are the cards reviewed by the Table Captains and reps before the teams get them?

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote