MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #31
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

We got lucky, the ones we got had veggie oil in them. Some that have made others UDS's had Linex drums and had to burn them out.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

There's a place here that has a whole pile of drums for $10 a pop, but no one can tell me what was in them. Knowing my luck it was chlordane or something

Man, I'm itchin to build me one of these, thanks for these pics, they really help
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #33
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Open and find out. See if they have some spare pallets and use that to burn it out.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]

Old 05-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #34
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezQ View Post
From what has been said here, they will go 10+ hours and hold at 225 on a load of charcoal and wood. I am anxious to find out.
You will get way more burn time than that. I did a brisket today. It was on for 12 hours. Still lots of charcoal left.

I usually shut all the vents down and save the charcoal for the next cook. Tonight I decided to clean some of my cooking grates. I opened all the vents and left the lid off for a few minutes. Brought the UDS up to 450 with no problem!!!!

These things are amazing!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #35
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I knew I should have gotten a brisket or butt when I was at the store...

I put one stick of wood in there kinda thin and it is not even close to being burnt down. It's still tan on top.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #36
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Deez,

Sometimes when they put food items in barrels they have a plastic coating on the inside - a lining. Are you sure yours didn' have that?

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #37
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I grinded some down where I was going to weld the brackets b/f I decided to screw them in and it didn't seem like it. There was no smell or after taste.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #38
keale
Babbling Farker

DEEZ, mine has canola oil in it and for the life of me I can't see the seperation mark in the lid and the can! The top with the spourt will go on the bottom, I'm studying yours and Tonys pics, but still can't see it...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2007, 02:13 AM   #39
keale
Babbling Farker

BY GOLLY I think I've got it! Duh... I hope!...I looked at your finished cover and saw where to cut...thanks deez and tony, don't forget your pics of from your new smokers!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #40
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Just so you know, that split where they press the drums together isn't easily seen until the lid is removed due to the rolled lip. When you start in with your grinder just grind under the lip and then looking at the top of the drum you will start to see it discolor and smoke, that is a sign that you have went through the outer skin of the drum. You may even go through slightly in a few places until you get use to it. Not a big problem though just tweak you procedure from there. after you get through about 1/4 of the way around the drum, you will find that you can raise the lid quite a bit and see your progress.

I have updated the Photobucket page with the latest of Mrs. DeeZ pictures. View them as a slideshow, it is easier than clicking. I am chomping at the bit to get mine completed now. I just cannot believe that DeeZ didn't finish mine too on Saturday......

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...drum%20smoker/

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #41
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Thosen drums sure look like they have a lining to me. I'd do a couple of big wood burns in the to get that off. Find a couple old pallets, cut em up and burn baby burn.

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #42
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Even if it were to have a plastic lining which it doesn't, nothing wrong with plastic. I have seen many old refrigerators converted into smokers. The goal with these drum smokers is that the fire will never touch the sides of the drums, that is what the charcoal basket and ash pan is for. Also, the smoker will gather a seasoning on the walls of the smoker with age. Now if there were to be a big fire in the drum, I would be concerned with toxic paint and or plastic. That would also lead to the barrel rusting out sooner.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #43
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

i took my weed burner to the outside of mine, sucka blasted off the paint and the lining in 15 minutes
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #44
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was also wondering about the lining, but if you're OK with it fine. It's really great to see the interest in the Ugly Drum Smoker evolving. I think I'm finished with building drums for the time being, and now have two 38" drums with dual cooking racks, and one 34" single rack, all with the original drum lids and Weber lids. Along with my WSM and the 3 UDS's I'll try to do a couple comps and have some fun with them. I took my ugliest drum to the Dr.BBQ Competition Cooking class this past weekend and had a blast with it! I'm a low budget putzer and don't really have any great aspirations to be a GC, just out for some fun and do some Q'n! Anyway I'm the Grand Champion in my own backyard!
Drum on my Brothers!

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #45
keale
Babbling Farker

Tony, thanks for the insturctions, under the lip eh? Will try it.
I'm trying to see if I can make a lid out of a spare barrel...
I