2 bacon questions.

2dumb2kwit

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have used the search function and read what seems like a gazillion bacon threads, but I can't seem to find the answers.

Question #1. About what yield do y'all get, (Pounds of bacon, from pounds of pork butt.) when making buckboard bacon from a butt?

Question #2. Same question, but with making Canadian bacon, from a loin.

(I think I'll soon be making my first attempt at bacon and was wondering about this.)

Thanks in advance, for any information.

I usually make bacon from the belly, not from the butt, but I can tell you the loss is much less than you'd think. With a Butt, you will lose the weight of the bone and whatever else you trim out, but your meat yield will be very similar to where you start (weight before curing vs Weight after curing) .. Maybe 5-10% loss from moisture being pulled out from the cure. Same goes for Canadian Bacon.

You won't really see your weight go down until you fry the bacon and render the fat. out..

I have only made it a couple times but would have to assume the above is correct as you are not smoking it long enough to render a large amount of fat..

I usually make bacon from the belly, not from the butt, but I can tell you the loss is much less than you'd think. With a Butt, you will lose the weight of the bone and whatever else you trim out, but your meat yield will be very similar to where you start (weight before curing vs Weight after curing) .. Maybe 5-10% loss from moisture being pulled out from the cure. Same goes for Canadian Bacon.

You won't really see your weight go down until you fry the bacon and render the fat. out..

I make buckboard bacon from boneless butts, there is very little loss because you are only taking the internal temperature very slowly to 140°.

From the loin there is virtually no loss because only the brine evaporates.

Thanks, y'all. That's good news. It sounds like this is going to be an even better thing than I thought!:mrgreen:

Back