First Cook: Ribs on the Mini WSM w/pron

TrueBlueEagle

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I started building a mini WSM a week or 2 ago and had it finished (enough) to cook on last weeked. I did a small cook Friday night with ribs and sausage to test/season. Then cut up 2 racks of spares and trimmings for Saturday. I couldn't have asked for this thing to work any better! maintained temps perfectly. Reacted to vent adjustments quickly. and barely leaked any smoke other than through the top vent. I really dont think you can beat this little guy for the money. Highly recommend making one if you have a few extra parts laying around.

Anyway....I used my homemade rub which is a loosely adaptation of meatheads Memphis dust, with less of this and more of that, plus some pecan roasted coffee grounds, a little cinnamon, and some other random pantry items. Ends up being a sweet heat style rub. For sauce I mixed some local "apple" bbq sauce from the farmers market, a little honey, and the john boy and billy bob original sauce(good, but rather tangy...hence the honey). Some I kept dry rub...which is my personal preference. Now onto the real reason most of you are here...the por-...uh i mean pron!

P/S-Also...take it easy one me. I'm new to the 'Que and this is only my 3rd time cooking ribs ever, but first time cooking anything on the Mini WSM. As momma always said, "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all!"

Attachments

• 7aza3azy.jpg
    7aza3azy.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 8ugybugu.jpg
    8ugybugu.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 172
  • ypu4ajyq.jpg
    ypu4ajyq.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 171
  • nereqyru.jpg
    nereqyru.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 170
  • yry7enev.jpg
    yry7enev.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 170
  • yta2adyz.jpg
    yta2adyz.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 170
  • a5a7a5ah.jpg
    a5a7a5ah.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 169
  • asenybu6.jpg
    asenybu6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 169
  • e5u3u2eh.jpg
    e5u3u2eh.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 169
  • u9y5y5en.jpg
    u9y5y5en.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 170
Nicely done! I need to try ribs on my minim but it was done everything I have thrown at it superbly...

Looking good! Thanks for sharing the pics and making me hungry. :wacko:

Thanks guys! I guess I just didnt expect a tamale pot and a small portable grill to turn out such great results!

Looks killer! I really want to build a mini, but can't bring myself to having yet another pit (AKA, the wife won't let me). :razz:

Looks killer! I really want to build a mini, but can't bring myself to having yet another pit (AKA, the wife won't let me). :razz:

Understandable...but this takes up less space than the smallest WSM, and you can carry it tailgating/camping/anywhere! My main thing was being able to carry it to the football games so we could have fresh que. Plus it's cheap...less than $70 if you want. I spent a little more but kept it under $100. Plus I can say I made it. Figured it would be good practice before I start my UDS!

Back