My Smoker Build along

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I promised this a couple of months ago but things got real crazy with work so I will start on it now. The first picture is the finished product.

Attachments

• DSCN2129.jpg
    DSCN2129.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 939
Next, I found a good, metal stand with casters. This stand I got from work. It is 2" steel tubing and is very solid and rolls well.

Attachments

• DSCN2101.jpg
    DSCN2101.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 721
The stand is 27x32. I covered it with 1/2" plywood. Since it was a metal frame, I drilled through the frame and secured the wood with bolts. I also framed up the outside walls with 2x3's.

Attachments

• DSCN2102.jpg
    DSCN2102.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 714
For rack holders, I used 2x3 as well and put them at equal distances on both sides of the walls. These are screwed into place into the studs.

Attachments

• DSCN2103.jpg
    DSCN2103.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 709
I then connected the studs horizontally with 2x3 wall plates.

Attachments

• DSCN2107.jpg
    DSCN2107.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 707
Next, I put in a horizontal stud across the front so I could divide the front into 2 doors instead of just 1 big one so there is not as much heat loss if I need to add chips/ water etc. Also, you need to add a roof. I just used the same 1/2" plywood as I used on the floor.

Attachments

• DSCN2108.jpg
    DSCN2108.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Next, I used 1x8 car siding to side the smoker. This is so easy to do and it looks real nice and has a good seal. Just make sure to check the level of the siding on each row and use finish nails when nailing them.

Attachments

• DSCN2111.jpg
    DSCN2111.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
I will post the rest of the build later this evening. This computer at work is not making this easy for me.

Now we need to add the vents. I used two cheapo heating vents from Home Depot. I think they were $4 a piece. I used my skill saw and cut a whole in the roof and also one in the center of the floor under where the burner will be. The two of these will make it much easier to regulate the temperature.
Note: In this picture, the one in the floor is not cut but you can get the idea by seeing the one in the top.

Attachments

• DSCN2114.jpg
    DSCN2114.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 625
Man, I know I'm gonna sound dumb with this question, but...

a smoker made from wood? Isn't that a fire hazard? Do you pipe the smoke in from another source? Inquiring minds (or at least, ignorant minds) want to know! :confused:

(It is mighty purty though.)

As long as you have a drip pan over your flame (I have a chip box as well as a water pan covering the flame) there should be no problems. Most of these fires start b/c grease drips down onto the flame. The only thing you have to watch is that the chips do not catch fire. As long as you soak the chips and keep on eye on it, you should be fine. I have used it many times with no problems. That being said, this is not the kind of smoker you can throw something in and come back in 10 hours. You need to keep an eye on it. A portable temperature probe is all you need. A sudden, drastic spike in temp means your chips are on fire. Really not much of a problem though.

The next step is to install trim. This not only makes the smoker look really good but also helps to stop some of the smoke leakage. I used outside corner that was 1 1/8". The only place I could find this was Home Depot. This was the most expensive part for me since I already had most of the materials. I think the trim cost me around $50. I also used some 1x to trim around the door openings.

Attachments

• photo (9).jpg
    photo (9).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 335
I found a picture of the vent after it is installed. This is the one on the roof but the one in the floor will look the same.

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 335
Back