• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

should I try a frozen butt

kik_start

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been reading about a few folks taking a butt out of the freezer and cooking for 4 hours then putting a rub on it...the rest seems the same.

my question is does it work? Is it better thawed. Is it better brinned?

Opinions?

Promise to post some pron of the smoke ring if you do...:mrgreen:
Talked to a guy who smoke a frozen brisky once and he said it had a smoke ring darn near an inch thick :shock:

I just happened to try this on Wednesday with a 7 pound pork butt. It turned out great. The only downside was the rub didn't stick as well as it does normally. Other than that, it turned out identical.

I was so intrigued by it that I just happen to have a frozen brisket smoking right now. If it turns out as good as the pork, I'll be very happy.

Here is a recent thread by SirPorkalot regarding a frozen butt.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78643

WOW, don't recall that one. I'm just wondering about temp in the 4 hour thaw...

Wouldn't it be like putting the pork in hot water to thaw? I don't know, I'm just a little paranoid about pork/chicken and temps. I'd do this with beef and not blink and eye. I eat my steaks Medium rare anyway *)
Interestingly enough I had inserted a temp. probe from my remote maverick into the meat as soon as it thawed enough for me to do so, and the center was still 47 degrees 4 hours later when I pulled it to rub it, but it was 195 in the center by the next morning.

I just happened to try this on Wednesday with a 7 pound pork butt. It turned out great. The only downside was the rub didn't stick as well as it does normally. Other than that, it turned out identical.
That is why I put my normal rub into a spice grinder and made in a fine powder, this stuck nicely.

The pork today is not like it used to be, you can eat pork med. rare and not have any issues, and doing it this way is not much different than cooking a whole pig for 16-24 hours while it is 31 degrees outside.

We (the family) just finished chowing down on some more sammies..no one has died yet :mrgreen:

To the OP; As long as it is not 80 degrees and humid out (actually should be in the mid 30's or lower)- I say go for it!

Back