OC Over and Under

HoytFlinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So was at Academy today checking them out and the damper handle on the side of the smoker is pretty useless on all the ones they had. When you turn it to open the damper between the fire chamber and cook chamber it just falls back down when you let go of the handle. Anyone know how to fix this so it will stay open wherever you want it to?

Stuff foil in there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If it moves and not supposed to use duct tape or bungee cord

If it doesn’t move and it’s supposed to Use Duck Fat Spray

Tongue planted firmly in cheek ;-))

I would assume once it gets some usage it would develop a skin of seasoning and be tighter.

So was at Academy today checking them out and the damper handle on the side of the smoker is pretty useless on all the ones they had. When you turn it to open the damper between the fire chamber and cook chamber it just falls back down when you let go of the handle. Anyone know how to fix this so it will stay open wherever you want it to?

My first thought is to assemble it correctly...

From what I remember, it is not meant to be adjustable but moves to be able to clean under it.

I think it would work a lot better if it was adjustable. I have a Good One Marshall and Open Range that has an adjustable damper and it really helps in dialing in the temps. On the Good One smokers, the damper is what you move to change the temps and you leave the spinner vents set at 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.

I think I saw a YT video where someone rigged the handle up somehow so that it was adjustable.

It’s for clean out - Not for adjusting temps. The original fixed baffle could clog with ash/grease and the slot was difficult to clean out.........

Last edited:
In regard to the OC Over Under and the Good One Open Range, do they cook any differently? Old Country looks like a clone at half the price. Also I've seen the Over/Under used as a stick burner but not the Open Range. Metal thickness can't be much different because there's about 10lbs difference between them. What's going on here?

O/C will Run on Charcoal but Eat up charcoal and get lil Pricey $ to run on charcoal. Most people run it as a stick burner. The Fire Grate sucks in the O/C. It doesn't have enough slots for Ash to fall so you have to work the ash when adding wod and will warp n twist. You can either brace it with angle iron frame and cut more slots or brace it and cut out the center and replace with 2 layers of expanded metal or build a new grate for Best results.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182649

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223280

https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224227

Last edited:
So is there any reason an Open Range can't be run as a stick burner like the Over/Under? Intake/exhaust too restrictive? I was hoping it would be less leaky than the Old Country. Looking at either this style cooker or a Hasty Bake.

So is there any reason an Open Range can't be run as a stick burner like the Over/Under? Intake/exhaust too restrictive? I was hoping it would be less leaky than the Old Country. Looking at either this style cooker or a Hasty Bake.

I have no experience with an Open Range nor seen One in Person. Drafty doesn't Hurt a stick burner much. A charcoal smoker needs to be air tight or semi air tight so All the charcoal doesn't ignite and have High Temps like Grilling.....

In regard to the OC Over Under and the Good One Open Range, do they cook any differently? Old Country looks like a clone at half the price. Also I've seen the Over/Under used as a stick burner but not the Open Range. Metal thickness can't be much different because there's about 10lbs difference between them. What's going on here?

The body of the Open Range is made out of 11 gauge steel and the lids out of 14 gauge. I'm not sure about the O/U. Good one does not recommend using wood only as a fuel source. Just lump with wood chunks on top.

The only thing I can think of is that the metal may not be thick enough over time to handle the heat of wood only. I don't think the intake or exhaust would be an issue.

The OR does leak some smoke from where the lid meets the body but it's not enough to cause problems. The Good One smokers keep some of the most stable temps that I've seen.

Smoking on Hasty Bake is going to be more work than the OR. I have a HB and IMO, smoking is not it's strong suit. I hate the vent system on it because it's just a flap on both intake and exhaust so it's basically open or shut.

Back