Turkey Failure

H

HFLIANJT

This was my first rodeo at smoking turkey on my NB. I followed the advice of many others and came out with so so results. My main concern was with the "browning", or lack of.The skin was unatractive. The turkeys came out with quite a bit of black soot like matter on them. I used a combo of lump charcoal and apple wood. I maintained a temp on average of 250. I brined them overnight, applied olive oil, and no rub. Any help on this??

It sounds like a fire control problem if you had a soot problem, are you using the exhaust vent as part of the temp control?

Was your exaust vent wide open the whole time? Did you use soaked wood chunks or dry chunks, or chips? It sounds like a wood fire that has smouldered too much, but since you used charcoal that can't be the problem.
Also, I always put a rub on my turkeys. The paprika in the rub will give the bird a nice reddish brown color when it is finished.

ya chose a turkey for maiden voyage? ok.. This wasnt a turkey failure!! Its a learning experience.. lets see what we can do here. :)

Done right, the skin browns nicely, but may not get crispy. Thats inherent in the way we cook. You can crispy the skin later with a brief shot under the broiler and a light brushing of butter or oil. Even then though, BBQ birds skin isnt gonna be the best for eating...its just spends to much time in the heat.. skin dries out and not even Jergens is gonna help it. :) But... Soot??.. ouch.. thats an issue.

Caused by wet, green or unseasoned wood or a choked fire. If your wood was seasoned well and dry, then it was your firemanagment.

Smoke box damper should be wide open, and the firebox never less than half open, the more open the better, and i only say that caseu the bandera has enough airleaks to allow a half closed damber if needed. Control temps with the size of the fire or the location in the firebox, spreading the coals out or piling them up also raises and lowers the temps. The smoke coming out of the chimney should be nearly invisible.. thin blue... For me ideal is just seeing the heat, not the smoke. Also, when i do large turkeys, i run a little hotter than normal.. 275-280. Reduces time and helps browning a little.

I have one of those aerosole thingys that you fill with oil or basting liquid and after pumping it a few times, it sprays a fine mist. That works wonders with turkeys, since if you try to baste with a brush you will just end up spreading the rub around.
Every hour I give the bird a good basting with pure olive or peanut oil, and it comes out all perty at the end.

If you added lump, wood, or briskets directly to the firebox you may have stirred up ash - just peel off the skin slice the turkey and enjoy. Turky skin is over rated anyway! :D

DFLittle said:
If you added lump, wood, or briskets directly to the firebox you may have stirred up ash - just peel off the skin slice the turkey and enjoy. Turky skin is over rated anyway! :D

Hey Dave,

briskets are a little too expensive to just throw them in the firebox!! heh heh heh

DFLittle said:

hey Dave.. I never added a brisket to a firebox.

Is that a new way to cook? I would think the meat would ignite eventually.. really throwing off your temperatures. :twisted: :wink:

BBQchef33 said:
DFLittle said:

hey Dave.. I never added a brisket to a firebox.

Is that a new way to cook? I would think the meat would ignite eventually.. really throwing off your temperatures. :twisted: :wink:

If you season the briskets properly they'll ignite right away. :twisted: :shock:

DFLittle said:

Don't you just hate it when the brisket stirrs up the ashes?

FOAD! The whole bunch of ya can blow it out your collective asses!

I was in post-competition funk when I typed that --

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:D

I'v made a brisket or two that belonged in the firebox so their ashes could be spread over a quiet pasture with lots of tasty grass. Also the weather report for Wichita calls for a slight chance of snot over the Holiday.

Back