Help with my first brisket on MAK

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am going to do a packer brisket on my Mak this weekend. Its about 14lbs prior to trimming so I am guessing it will be somewhere around 12 when trimmed. Since this is my first brisket on the Mak, I am looking for pointers. I have done them on the Lang and PBC but have never been real happy. The point (I think that’s what you call the smaller separated hunk of meat on top) was fantastic but the flat was still not as tender as I have had from others in the past. I bought butcher paper so at what point should I wrap? I am thinking about putting it on smoke for a while then transition to about 250 or so. Thoughts? I want to eat around 4:00 on Sunday so what time should I put it on Saturday? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cooking brisket on the pellet grill is not gonna change how tender the flat is, until you cook it long enough to be tender.

Wrap when you get the color you want, that should be 160*-170* in my humble opinion. You make want to raise the temp to 300* or so at that point. Thinking that you want a couple hour rest, you should have it wrapped by 11 am?

Just some thoughts of mine.....

I agree with the above, wrap at color. If you were dry it was undercooked. Usually around 200-204 is where the flat is done but temp is only a guideline. Go by feel and wait for probe tender

Brisket is as easy as anything else once you understand that it isn't done until it's tender in the flat. Forget about the point...it doesn't matter. Probe for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat...what temperature it is when it gets tender is somewhat inconsequential. When the probe slides in easy with not much force required, pull it & allow to cool unwrapped for about five minutes. Rewrap, drop in a dry cooler for at least two hours, or up to 4-6 hours. If you have a temp probe you can use it to monitor temperatures...keep it above 135-140...if that means taking it out of the cooler and placing it in a warm oven, then so be it. I have pulled brisket from the cooler and placed in a 170 oven until the internal temp went back up to 150+ and then returned to the cooler...this would be for extended rest periods of 6-9 hours.

Cooking until it's tender is crucial, but the long rest is what makes spectacular brisket.

All great info!
Would you start out on smoke for a couple hours prior to going to 250? And this time, I am going to ignore the point and rely solely on the flat for my probe tenderness. Thats where I screwed up in the past.

it's really hard to wrap your head around, I know, but if it doesn't feel tender enough yet - just keep going. check it again in 20-30 minutes and see if it's ready then. If not - just keep going. It goes against everything you've ever learned about cooking meat, and believe me I pulled a number of mine too soon early on because I thought it was really close and was afraid it would go too far during the rest.

if it's not probe tender in the thickest part of the flat - just keep going until it is.

You don’t need to wrap, spritz, or mop to get a tender and juicy brisket. Just cook the flat until it probes nearly as easy as the point. I just did this on the MAK a few weeks ago. No wrap.
6c9a3ad1a4e0d1ebf42599e3c2fda9ac.jpg
729415a60ee8ca75286b85bf2422231d.jpg
a3718b6069853f50dbd3f830cc96136d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need to wrap, spritz, or mop to get a tender and juicy brisket. Just cook the flat until it probes nearly as easy as the point. I just did this on the MAK a few weeks ago. No wrap.

Why on earth would he follow that advice... just look at those pics... ewe!!!! [emoji12]

What temps did you use? Did you use the smoke setting at all? How long did it take?

I usually do mine in a foil pan and put it in at SMOKE temp at 10 pm the night before and let it go all night. When I wake up it's usually ready to wrap so I put foil over the pan and set the temp to 225 or 250 depending on when I need it done. 250 usually gets me done around 1 or 2 pm (probe tender is the test here) and then I FTC it until time to serve.

Some good advise for you from actual MAC users. Take what they tell you to heart.

Injecting is a good way to add moisture, but I always stress learning to cook without those aids before experimenting with them. That's just advise...either philosophy will work.

As said multiple times now...tenderness trumps temperature. I normally know what the temps are only because I use my thermometer as my tenderness probe. The brisket pictured below probed tender at 210 degrees. It was never wrapped until it came off the pit...then held for at least seven hours until sliced & served.

Best of luck to you on your next one!

Attachments

• 48395811_2478470982169313_2410066201741885440_n.jpg
    48395811_2478470982169313_2410066201741885440_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 324
Some good advise for you from actual MAC users. Take what they tell you to heart.

Injecting is a good way to add moisture, but I always stress learning to cook without those aids before experimenting with them. That's just advise...either philosophy will work.

As said multiple times now...tenderness trumps temperature. I normally know what the temps are only because I use my thermometer as my tenderness probe. The brisket pictured below probed tender at 210 degrees. It was never wrapped until it came off the pit...then held for at least seven hours until sliced & served.

Best of luck to you on your next one!

Awesome looking brisket. What temps did you use for the cook?
Thanks in advance.

I have a link in my signature on what I do for briskets. All knowledge I garnered here. Be patient and give yourself more time then you need.

EDIT:, document has been updated since that post. This is the latest:

I am by no means a brisket master, but here is what I do:

Shopping for the brisket:

- Here in SoTex, we have access to cheaper briskets. I watch for Primes to go on sale and buy a couple of them at around $3 a pound.
- I shoot for somewhere in the 14-16 pound range.
- I will go through every brisket they have picking them out. I look for a brisket that has a thick flat and a thick point. It might make it more narrow, but less chance of drying out.
- I love a nice, floppy brisket. Grab it from one end and shake it up and down and see how "loose" the meat is. The last one I bought would easily fold over on itself and sit on the counter that way.

Planning:

- Briskets take a LONG time to cook. And two 14 pound briskets may be done hours apart from each other. Plan accordingly. I like to plan for 1.25 hours per pound, a couple hours for resting, and I'll usually throw in another hour or two in case things go sideways. There is nothing worse than a starving family asking if it's done yet.

Prepping the brisket:

- I have done the heavy trimming and no trim at all. I used to prefer somewhere in the middle. I would trim the fat cap to 1/4" or so, but not too picky about it. Lately, I have found that the more aggressive I trim, the more smoke ring I get. Been trimming them almost as close as those you see for competitions and getting a ring finally. I do try to get rid of as much of the thick, usually yellowish, hard fat that is between the muscles. This won't render and is just bad stuff.
- I like to look at the bottom side of the brisket and see which way the grain is running on the flat. I will notch the corner against the grain so when it's ready to slice, I know from which end to start.
- Once trimmed, I throw the brisket in the sink or a pan and give it a good rub down with Worcestershire sauce or olive oil. I sprinkle heavily with Kosher Salt. I want to see the crystals. It's a thick cut of meat and can use the salt. I sprinkle even heavier in black pepper, just because that's the way I like it. I also add a little onion powder and garlic powder. Those four spices together are usually known as SPOG. If I am feeling adventurous, I might sprinkle a little Chipotle powder or paprika. I like to wrap the brisket up in Saran wrap and let it rest for a couple hours or overnight in the fridge, but it can go right to the smoker at this point.

On the smoker:

- I have a Lone Star Grillz Insulated cabinet, but have cooked these on a vertical offset too. I typically call for letting the smoker run where it's comfortable. My WSM liked 275*. My cabinet prefers 250*, but with a Guru attached, I usually do an overnight cook and start out at 225*, and then crank it up to 275* in the morning. I use KBB and add some Mesquite and Pecan chunks.
- Once I get the smoker fired up, Guru blowing, and doors closed, I go get the cold brisket out of the fridge, unwrap it and put it on. I have found that putting the cold meat on while the smoker is still coming up to temp has provided more of a smoke ring. I don't know the science behind it, but it works for me.
- I have tried fat cap up and fat cap down. No real difference on my smoker. I will say that no matter which way I place it, the outside of the meat on the opposite side of the fat cap always seems to get a little crusty. Not a lot, not bad, just takes a little work to slice through. Still tastes great. I am still working on that.
- Again, low and slow (225*) overnight, and then I crank it up to 275* in the morning. I used to wrap in foil on my WSM. I bought a roll of Kraft paper to try wrapping that way, but never got around to it. Since I got this cabinet, I started letting them ride nekkid the whole way and I found that I like it better that way.
- I don't cook by time or temp, but I do follow the temp. The brisket is done when I can shake it and the point jiggles like Jello and when a wooden chopstick pushes easily through the thickest part of the flat.

Off the smoker:

- When done smoking, I pull the meat off and set it on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes to rest and let the residual heat die down and stop cooking.
- After that rest, I will wrap it in foil, wrap it in an old towel, and put it in a cooler. If I am feeling lazy, I'll just put it in the cool oven. There's enough heat still that it will warm the oven up and keep it that way for a couple hours. I leave it to rest like this for at least an hour, but two is better. We did a benefit where we held the briskets in coolers for 10+ hours and they were still burning my fingers when I pulled them out.

Slicing:

- I separate the point from the flat and set it aside. Just slide a knife between the two muscles and it should easily come apart.
- I find my notched corner and start slicing the flat in 1/4" slices against the grain. Depending on the size of the brisket, I may cut the widest part of the flat in half and then go back to slicing. Great size for tacos and no one wants the slice dangling off the edges of the plate.
- For the point, I flip it over and find the grain. Again, I will cut this in half with the grain and then make slices against the grain.
- The thin outer edges may crumble a bit. This is ok.

The test:

- A slice of the flat should be able to be tugged gently from both ends, you'll see it stretch a bit, and then break in two.
- You should be able to lay a slice of the flat on the cutting board, fold it over on itself, and it should stay like that without unfolding back or breaking in half.
- Gently pushing down on the meat should cause some juices to run out.

The general rule is as follows:

The brisket is tough and dry - Undercooked
The brisket is falling apart and dry - Overcooked
The brisket is tender and juicy - CONGRATS!

Attachments

• Brisket1.jpg
    Brisket1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Brisket2.jpg
    Brisket2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 182
Now I am looking at the weather for Saturday night when I plan to smoke it and it’s going to be a low of 36. Will that be a problem for the Mak to maintain temps?

What temps did you use? Did you use the smoke setting at all? How long did it take?

I believe I did that one on Smoke for a few hours and then bumped it up to 225. Took about 12 hours if I remember correctly.

Now I am looking at the weather for Saturday night when I plan to smoke it and it’s going to be a low of 36. Will that be a problem for the Mak to maintain temps?

Temp won’t be a problem. Wind is a bigger concern. Keep it out of the wind if you can at all. You WILL go through a lot of pellets at that temp. It’s easy to run out earlier than think. Don’t ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Awesome looking brisket. What temps did you use for the cook?
Thanks in advance.

That was a week or so before Christmas. I set my 22.5 WSM with one bottom vent open (don't remember if it was full or half open). I went to bed before the temp evened out. I checked on it in the morning when I mustered about...probably 8:30 or so...and the pit temp was sitting between 200-225. I opened another vent, ate breakfast, and got ready for my day. At 10:30 I went to probe it, and it was nearly peanut butter tender so I pulled it off (temp in the flat where I probed was 210).

I allowed it to cool to around 185 before I foiled it and put it in a cooler...I probably waited too long, and should have wrapped it when it hit 200...as long as any carryover is finished, and the temp starts to decrease, I feel it's ok to start your holding procedures. Before dropping in the cooler, I popped in a DOT thermocouple so that I could monitor the temp without opening the cooler. After a few hours, the temp go to just below 140 and I had a warm (170) oven ready for it. I removed from the cooler and placed in the oven until the temp started to rise again...it never got below 135 which is the magic safety number. I don't remember, but I probably left it in the oven until the temp went back up to 150 or so? At that point it was returned to the cooler for the remainder of the seven hour hold.

The result is what you see. I am a firm believer that your holding procedures, and the length of time you are able to safely hold it after the cook, are just as important as the actual cook itself.

Back