Unmarked mystery ribs from Sam's Club

Charny

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have had a hankerin' for some winter ribs and headed out to Costco and Sams yesterday to resolve my craving. Sam's Club had back ribs for $2.99 but the cryo 3 packs are completely unmarked. Just a USDA approval, and a couple numbers (bag dimension, and I think the other may be bag part number), plus the usual Sams label.

The meat guys checked the case and they said they are Smithfield. They also said they are a bit smaller than normal, which I noticed. I'd say the distance between ribs is smaller than normal (I can't get a finger between the bones at the end), the bones are shorter, and they have a bit more meat above the rack (though not excessive).

The lack of branding seemed very odd for ribs and put me on alert. I guess the size is indicative of smaller, younger hogs, which might be a good thing. I had already stopped at Costco, and they had IBP, but only four back rib cryos ro choose from ($2.89). Sams normally has a larger selection of ribs, and I didn't really want to go back to Costco.

I bought a pack, but overnight had second thoughts - I need to make my winter smoking count, and can't experiment. Smithfield is normally pretty proud about their branding and labeling on the cryos. It just seems odd to me that these are plain.

Costco is new to this area, and opened about a year ago. They are putting pressure on Sams and business is starting to shift over (though that has nothing to do with this). A couple months ago I did have some sulfury IBPs from Costco but I know that was just a fluke, and returned them (I bought a premium brisket instead).

Anyone else seen this unbranded packaging at Sams or from Smithfield? I am now even a bit more leery after I saw the China connection when looking into Smithfield products.

I am now even a bit more leery after I saw the China connection when looking into Smithfield products.
Yeah some Chinese company bought Smithfield. Virginia should be ashamed. You don't see this in Europe.
No chance Italy, for example, would allow a Chinese owner making cheese in Parma.

Smithfield makes an Extra Tender Rib that turns mushy if overcooked.
I'd pass if I was not sure of the product.

I avoid anything with Smithfield on the label, starting back before they were purchased by China. Just never found the quality I want to spend my time on.

maybe it varies in different parts of the country? I've had very good luck with Smithfield in Louisiana, and as a Nascar fan I like to support companies that support my sport

I have had a hankerin' for some winter ribs and headed out to Costco and Sams yesterday to resolve my craving. Sam's Club had back ribs for $2.99 but the cryo 3 packs are completely unmarked. Just a USDA approval, and a couple numbers (bag dimension, and I think the other may be bag part number), plus the usual Sams label.

The meat guys checked the case and they said they are Smithfield. They also said they are a bit smaller than normal, which I noticed. I'd say the distance between ribs is smaller than normal (I can't get a finger between the bones at the end), the bones are shorter, and they have a bit more meat above the rack (though not excessive).

The lack of branding seemed very odd for ribs and put me on alert. I guess the size is indicative of smaller, younger hogs, which might be a good thing. I had already stopped at Costco, and they had IBP, but only four back rib cryos ro choose from ($2.89). Sams normally has a larger selection of ribs, and I didn't really want to go back to Costco.

I bought a pack, but overnight had second thoughts - I need to make my winter smoking count, and can't experiment. Smithfield is normally pretty proud about their branding and labeling on the cryos. It just seems odd to me that these are plain.

Costco is new to this area, and opened about a year ago. They are putting pressure on Sams and business is starting to shift over (though that has nothing to do with this). A couple months ago I did have some sulfury IBPs from Costco but I know that was just a fluke, and returned them (I bought a premium brisket instead).

Anyone else seen this unbranded packaging at Sams or from Smithfield? I am now even a bit more leery after I saw the China connection when looking into Smithfield products.

Smithfield would put purple polka dots on the package if Sam's told them to. So if they want them unmarked that is how Smithfield would send them.

I haven’t bought Smithfield Pork in over 5 years. I don’t plan to start either

You may not have bought something labeled Smithfield but they do co-pack for a ton of other companies. Hard to avoid.

Last edited:
You may not have bought something labeled Smithfield but they do-pack for a ton of other companies. Hard to avoid.
I learned to associate the appearance of the meat with poor results. The same appearance under a different label would result in me not purchasing them, either. Kind of a pale pink color rather than ruddy.

I learned to associate the appearance of the meat with poor results. The same appearance under a different label would result in me not purchasing them, either. Kind of a pale pink color rather than ruddy.

Funny you mention that, because I had also noticed right away that the juice in these ribs - while not excessive in quanity to inflate weight - is oddly light in color. Definitely unusual. It made me wonder whether they were enhanced, and I searched the packaging for that, but there was no mention of it . The meat color.. tough for me to say whether it is atypical, without a direct comparison.

I assume these ribs did not make the grade for premium, etc. Possibly worse, for any label. Or there is something else going on - maybe Sams wants to not be associated so closely with any one rib vendor (which is consistent with Jim's comment).

Unlabeled cryos are unacceptable and the ribs are going back.

Sam’s currently does not have Smithfield only Walmart.

I assume you must have an inside source for that info. Odd that the guys would tell me the box is Smithfield.

I grilled lamb chops today and we had gyros. They were great.

Funny you mention that, because I had also noticed right away that the juice in these ribs - while not excessive in quanity to inflate weight - is oddly light in color. Definitely unusual. It made me wonder whether they were enhanced, and I searched the packaging for that, but there was no mention of it . The meat color.. tough for me to say whether it is atypical, without a direct comparison.

I assume these ribs did not make the grade for premium, etc. Possibly worse, for any label. Or there is something else going on - maybe Sams wants to not be associated so closely with any one rib vendor (which is consistent with Jim's comment).

I assume you must have an inside source for that info. Odd that the guys would tell me the box is Smithfield.

To my knowledge, there are two grades of pork. Acceptable and Utility. Acceptable is for human consumption. Premium is a marketing term.

This is the color I look for in pork. Doesn't matter what the name is on the label, you don't eat the label.
spares_zps0319a520.jpg

It made me wonder whether they were enhanced, and I searched the packaging for that,

They Label Enhanced "Extra Tender". Horribly mushy.

The only ribs I see locally at Sams are IBP which is Tyson.

Just a USDA approval, and a couple numbers (bag dimension, and I think the other may be bag part number), plus the usual Sams label.

The meat guys checked the case and they said they are Smithfield.

I'd look up the USDA establishment number on the bag. I'd trust that over what the meat guy said.

Interested in finding what they are.

I used to buy ribs from the commissary, and then they went to an unbranded packaging. I bought them once and noticed a washed our color on the meat, with a faint bluish like hue on the fat. Was not comfortable with the product and have never purchased it again.

I read that the hue can come from exposing the meat in carbon monoxide to preserve the reddish color of the hemoglobin (a common practice in the USA) however the meat was not red as the USDA article stated.

I think your best bet is like sleebus.jones said, reference the USDA number.

I never thought about that, but I'll going to do that on my next trip.

I've been buying the Sam's Smithfield for years. My last smoke was a few weeks ago. I bought 2) 3 packs. Two of the ribs were very small compared to what I've purchased in the past and compared to the other ribs in the 3 packs.
One thing I also noticed the "unmarked ribs" in their cooler. Looks to me that they break down the three packs and make 2) packs out of them for those consumers that don't want or need the 3 pack. I see this at Coscto as well.

My ribs turned out good, but disappointed in the size variance.

I'd look up the USDA establishment number on the bag. I'd trust that over what the meat guy said.

That's good to know, I wasn't familiar with those. The number is as follows:

Est 18079

That is "Smithfield Farmland Corp. Tarheel, NC Slaughter/Cutting/Storage"

I don't know what the 8362 number is.

I wonder if we’re seeing the affects of all the flooding that drowned huge numbers of hogs and turkeys due to hurricane Florence? It’s only been four months. Might explain the small size as product gets rushed to market.

So why do y’all not like Smithfield? Have you had a bad experience? I have always had good luck with their products. I now see they are owned by China but still I will buy them. Heck, the company I work for is owned by the Chinese and that’s the best thing that ever happened to us. They invest money in the company to make it better. The old owners didn’t.

So why do y’all not like Smithfield? Have you had a bad experience? I have always had good luck with their products. I now see they are owned by China but still I will buy them. Heck, the company I work for is owned by the Chinese and that’s the best thing that ever happened to us. They invest money in the company to make it better. The old owners didn’t.

They also put a ton of money back into the sport of competition BBQ and their ribs and butts win a lot...not sure why they are so disliked here.

Back