Pit Barrel Cooker and BBQ Guru

3LMBBQ

Reaction score
I've seen on the web in a few places where people have connected a guru to their PBC. Guru doesn't have an adapter that I've found and I was wondering if anyone had some insight. Maybe another adapter works for it.

And I know it's simple to use without one but Ive really struggled to get it to hold above 250 consistently. I'd really like to add the guru and and maintain some consistent higher temps. (275 or so)

Appreciate any mod suggestions.

Thanks.

Not necessary at all unless you're adamant about 250* but then again PBC likes a to run in the 275-325* range with stellar results.

It typically tops consistently out at 250 for me (wide open). I want to play with using it for a comp chix cooker so a consistent managed temp is important. 275 is ideal for how I cook. A large window is undesirable.

I saw the ique might work but I have a couple digi qs already. So trying to minimize my expense for this experiment.

Last edited:
I recently modified my PBC to accept the Blaze Adaptor from BBQ Guru. I augured a 1 1/4 in hole just off of the inside bottom of the PBC, about 120 degrees offset from the PBC vent. I then attached my BBQ Guru Pit Viper to this port. I then replaced the original PBC round vent cover with an oversized 4 in disc of heavy copper sheeting; attached using the PBC bolt from their cover. I pre-bent this new cover and it allows me to nearly close off the PBC vent hole when I wish to use the Pit Viper. I tried the new set-up last week and I was able to keep a consistent 250 F temp in the PBC. I found that scrap pieces of aluminum foil stuffed into the gaps around the re-bar holes really allowed the Pit Viper to control the air intake. Really happy with the modification and am looking forward to smoking some red salmon fillets soon (will shoot for about 200 F), as well as some low temp (210-225 F) conditions for beef brisket.

small paper clip or pin under the lid ... I always found that the dripping grease lowered the temp a bit, So I proped open the lid with a pin. Created just enough draft to raise the temp.

A friend of mine modified his with a guru adapter for an xl grill dome. He put it on the inside lip of the PBC and ran a screw thru the existing screw hole in the PBC to hold it in place

I had extra guru and wanted to try it. I took my XL BGE adapter and used self tapping screws and mounted over one of the bottom vents. UDS runs rock solid at 275. Been very happy with the modification.

It typically tops consistently out at 250 for me (wide open). I want to play with using it for a comp chix cooker so a consistent managed temp is important. 275 is ideal for how I cook. A large window is undesirable.

I saw the ique might work but I have a couple digi qs already. So trying to minimize my expense for this experiment.

I don't know how old your charcoal basket is, and if you are running the ash pan under the charcoal basket, but...….My charcoal basket started sagging after about two years and my ash pan also warped on one side which meant less air flow which was definitely keeping my temperatures down. Replaced both and my PBC was back to "normal" which is around 275.

Its labeled as the XL Grill Dome adapter. I picked up a party q on black friday to try on my PBC. It works really really well.

A friend of mine modified his with a guru adapter for an xl grill dome. He put it on the inside lip of the PBC and ran a screw thru the existing screw hole in the PBC to hold it in place

That is what I did. Works fine. I could probably bend it or add another two screws to get it more "air tight" but I ran it the first time without messing with and it worked fine...so I just left it alone.

This is exactly what I did. I know the PBC was already perfect but I feel like the PBC with a guru is even PERFECTER!!!!!

New guy here

Ran access this thread, this is my first post. I have a pbc and I'd like to be able
to regulate the heat for longer smokes, I picked up a flame boss 400 but before I install it I'd like to know if anyone here has had an issue with the fan blowing ashes all over the meat? Thank you

I don’t think the guru is necessary for the pit barrel. For me I found temperatures lower than I wanted. I suppose I could have messed around with how many coals I lit but I wanted a little more control. At first I tried thinner stainless rods to effectively increase the exhaust but that really didn’t make a big difference. I bought a 2” exhaust damper and installed it on the lid. Problem solved and much easier to control than propping the lid for me.
12a12eaf4a375522151c97f8efe25695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran access this thread, this is my first post. I have a pbc and I'd like to be able
to regulate the heat for longer smokes, I picked up a flame boss 400 but before I install it I'd like to know if anyone here has had an issue with the fan blowing ashes all over the meat? Thank you

Ran across, sorry about that

Alright! Thank you pharp, that gives me some piece of mind. I like the smoke exhaust idea also. I might just buy an extra lid if that's possible

Back