Anyone got a 26 inch Weber Bar-B-Kettle

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've started refurbing the 26in kettle I picked up on Craigslist. It's pretty thrashed. But is going to be awesome when it's done.

The bottle of the kettle has a small hole. It's very similar to the hole in my 22 inch for the "one touch cleaning" system. Except the old Bar-B-Kettle doesn't have slots in it for cleaning. There are three "vents" similar to what you find in the lid. They are supposed to be covered with sliders, but they are gone. (I've ordered replacements)

I'm trying to determine what the hole was for. The only manual online at Weber is a newer version so that doesn't help.

Is there someone that has an old, no year code on mine, that can tell me what the hold was for?

Swamp, take a look at the pictures. I think you will agree it's older than the Weber manual link you posted. This thing is old...

Daisy Wheel on Lid:

Daisy%20Wheel.JPG

The Lid:

Lid.JPG

Bottom:

Bottom%201.JPG

Bottom%202.JPG

Wheels:

Wheels.JPG

Wheel.JPG

Lot's of rust and pits. I don't think the hole in the bottom is rust through, because it's just to neat of a hole.

What say you?

I would say those wheels date it to early 70's, if there original...
Hole in the bottom maybe a drip hole?? Could have been modded for that purpose.

Old beat up 26 inch Weber from Craigslist - $30.00

New charcoal grate and grill, paint, wheels - $100.00

Restored Antique Weber Grill - Priceless

Yeah! Those are the same type of wheels that were on my 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle, 2 rivets in the handle. I thought you said the hole on the bottom was the size of the One-Touch? I was surprised they made one for a 26"!

Been doing some vintage Weber repairs myself- I almost turned these into UDS parts.

100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

I shined these up with a little steel wool and Mequiar's Mirror Glaze sealer after some rust touch ups with Dupli-Color Engine paint. It's held up on my Performer and Big Drum.

Yeah! Those are the same type of wheels that were on my 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle, 2 rivets in the handle. I thought you said the hole on the bottom was the size of the One-Touch? I was surprised they made one for a 26"!

I meant this hole:

Bottom%20Hole.JPG

JB said there is no hole in his 26", that must be an afterthought! I've got some 4 hole daisy vents for you.

Stray bullet? Didn't get it from South Central by chance? :biggrin:
Is it rolled to inside? I would guess if it is not perhaps a water drain?

Sometimes I think it's a rust through, but the inside of the kettle is in better shape than the outside and the indentation is on the outside, I would have thought if it was rust through it would be the other way around.

Either way, "she" isn't going to to suffer from neglect anymore. And considering it's over 30 years old I think it looks pretty good.

Replacement grates are still available from weber for this model... just ordered three for an 85gallon drummie

Replacement grates are still available from weber for this model... just ordered three for an 85gallon drummie

I had those ordered and delivered before I even got the kettle picked up.

Nothing a little Permatex High Temp silicone won't fix! The Red kettles that I've been dinking around with all rust out or lose the enamel finish at the spot welds for the handles, leg sockets and the grate holders. One of them was rusted so bad I removed the leg sockets and put steel backing behind them and secured them to the bowl. Way too much work, but it was an 18" Bar-B-Kettle and I couldn't bring myself to leave in in the metal heap!

I've been toying with having the whole thing powder coated. But don't know much about the process. Costs or anything.

Any thoughts?

Back