MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Green egg ?

How are you guys with the eggs transporting them to comps. I just got a XL egg would like to take it to comps just not sure the best way to transport it. Any info would help. Thanks

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post
How are you guys with the eggs transporting them to comps. I just got a XL egg would like to take it to comps just not sure the best way to transport it. Any info would help. Thanks

BBQ UP
I have a couple Larges.One is in a nest with the nest handler option.It works great moving it around.If you have ramps to load into a trailer it is pretty easy.If you have to lift it though,it is a 2 or 3 man job unless you remove insides,etc.Then it is still a pain.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Green egg ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I have a couple Larges.One is in a nest with the nest handler option.It works great moving it around.If you have ramps to load into a trailer it is pretty easy.If you have to lift it though,it is a 2 or 3 man job unless you remove insides,etc.Then it is still a pain.
I only have the nest. Do you leave the plate setter and greats in it or take them out?

BBQ UP

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I leave mine in unless I have to lift the beast.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I built a table for mine and haul it in that. I usually take the plate setter out but not the fire rings. I suppose the plate setter would travel well, though.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Green egg ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
I built a table for mine and haul it in that. I usually take the plate setter out but not the fire rings. I suppose the plate setter would travel well, though.
Wouldn't happen to have any pics you could post?

BBQ UP

Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
StokeMySmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I took my XL to a competition last year. Pulled all the guts and wrapped them in an old blanket, shoved the egg into the corner of the pickup, strapped it down tight while strapping the lid down. No problems at all.
StokeMySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Oh brother, transporting to comps with the XL should be done veeeerrrrrryyyy carefully.

I homebrewed some transport options for my large and small eggs because my patio is cobblestoned. The small casters on the BGE nest don't roll smoothly on it. The pneumatic tires are from HF and do a great job.

The LBGE is in the wooden crate. The idea for the SBGE was inspired from pics of a similar setup by a guy from the BGE mothership who took XLBGE's to comps or eggfests.

Also,

is used by many folks to lift their eggs.

[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

We would carry both an XL and a Large to competitions. What a PITA. I found that the best way to transport is to get one of these plastic buckets with rope handles and a lip. I would pull out the ceramic pieces inside the BGE and wrap them in towels. Place a large swimming or beach towel towel over the opening of the bucket and have two preferably three guys lift the BGE out of the nest slowly and put the BGE in the bucket. Don’t carry it by the rope handles but by the lip of the bucket. The towel will allow for easy removal. You can also slide it around in a truck or trailer and tie it down. Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 051596080341lg.jpg (34.3 KB, 189 views)
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Transporting a ceramic kamado has got o be a pita for the ages!

My chit is staying on my back deck.........unless an ambitious thief decides otherwise.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Green egg ?

Looks like the XL egg will stay home and the G2 and kettle will go to comps.

BBQ UP

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

We transport 3 lg BGE and this year will do 4. It is a pain in the butt, but very do-able. We have an enclosed trailer, with a ramp back. All the eggs are in compact tables, with the upgraded wheels. We take all internals and put eggcrate foam between them and put them back into the BGE's. They all get tied down with straps inside the trailer. This means at the end of comps we have to wait for them to cool down before we can load them. Yes, it sucks. It takes us around an hour to do all of them.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Boochie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
We transport 3 lg BGE and this year will do 4. It is a pain in the butt, but very do-able. We have an enclosed trailer, with a ramp back. All the eggs are in compact tables, with the upgraded wheels. We take all internals and put eggcrate foam between them and put them back into the BGE's. They all get tied down with straps inside the trailer. This means at the end of comps we have to wait for them to cool down before we can load them. Yes, it sucks. It takes us around an hour to do all of them.

Eggspert BBQ
Totally agree, remove the inners. Mine broke durning transport to a comp, had to readjust all mine cooking times, sucked. Green Egg said they would replace but not cover the shipping. Had to argue to get them to replace as they say they don't cover breakage durning transport.

Food for thought
Boochie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post

Eggspert BBQ
Testament to the awesomeness of ceramic kamados.

This much effort is undergone for a reason!!!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post
Wouldn't happen to have any pics you could post?

BBQ UP
Sure. But I do need to take some up-to-date pics. These are some build shots:

Daddy's little helper.

I couldn't wait till the table was done to test it.

I decided early on that I wanted to take this table to comps and collect signatures, then I would seal it with Varnish. Here's Tuffy of Cool Smoke and Chris & Brian of Dizzy Pig.

Lee Ann of the Woodchicks.

Dan and Chris of 3 Eyz (Back in the day)

The large Egg is a rib cookin machine!

Edit, a pic from this morning. Note the two ThirdEye wiggle rods in front of the Large Egg. They are a must have for any Egger.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote