MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Default Prime rib for 100.

Doing prime rib for our fire dept on saturday night. I have 106 lbs of CAB boneless prime rib. Was planning on rubbing with Kosher salt and some tuscan seasoning I got at Costco. Let them sit overnight and then smoke at 225 till about 115 or so and them sear to finish at 130. Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker like you do with steaks? Any other suggestions or am I missing anything here? Done prime rib on the egg a few times, but never this much.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They'll take on more smoke if you don't let them sit out. Not to mention, the cuts are so big they won't change that much temp wise in an hour anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't wait to see some pics. This is a huge cook! Good luck!

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I go right from fridge to cooker. Better smoke ring, better food safety practice, no down side that I'm aware of.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you can bring out of fridge a few hours ahead of going into smoker, sounds like you have 5 roasts, so I would put in smoker alot warmer, as lots of mass, since you have multiple roasts, sear to your temp of no more than 130, as the end cuts will be well and the middle rare...or pull at 120 aND
keep the charcoal roaring and flash the ones people want done more OR do all the searing once sliced and assembly line the steaks on the grill//thats how I do them for weddiings..and yes let it rest before slicing..
so many ways to do it!
salt/pepper/garlic/oinion/rosemary for me

Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

This is the seasoning:http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signa.../dp/B00649KLRS

Going to slice as each member comes through to keep fresh and warm.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looking forward to these Pics
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
MisterChrister

I'm with BigBellyBBQ on this one. No worries about bacteria with a completely salinated exterior from all the kosher and salt content in the Tuscan. My whole rib roasts always turn out better when allowed to rest out prior to cooking.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with those who say don't go straight from the fridge to the smoker. Reason being, you put a cold roast in the smoker (especially prime rib where you want that constant pink med-rare throughout the whole roast) the outside will be overdone by the time the center of the roast hits med-rare because the middle of the roast will take considerably longer to reach 120 degrees than the outside of the roast if it is put on cold. Conversely, the outside of the roast will continue to cook and over cook while the middle is getting to medium rare.

Result, you have a small medium rare center surrounded by well-done exterior. You want the whole roast to cook to medium rare at almost the same time so you have lovely pink all-the-way-through slices that everyone associates with prime rib. So bring up to room temp before you throw them rib roasts on.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

How long would you let them sit out before going into the smoker? Also would it benefit to trim all fat off before the rub is applied? Thinking if no trim, there will be a lake of drippings in the smoker...

Old 12-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

>> Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker

Letting them sit out ONE hour ... though it will be *better* than straight-from-fridge, one hour isn't enough. I agree with earlier posts, there'll be too much well-done and not enough pink in the middle.

I'm thinking ... four hours. Ok, at least three.

If you have time, YES trim, to 1/8" to 1/4" fat. THEN rub with salt. THEN sit for four hours.

That's what I would do.

J
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I would let them come to room temp, as above, if you have a salty rub on the outside, you won't have to worry about any surface bacteria, and bacteria and other nastys cannot readily penetrate the rib roast, which is why you don't have to cook it to 165 degrees like you do chicken our cook it through like ground burger for food safety.

Do not trim off all the fat cap off the roast (it is going to baste your roast with flavor), you can trim it to a uniform 1/2 inch though. Your fat will begin to render around 130 degrees and continue through your cook. Because it is on the outside you will get some fat dripping, which is a good thing, but it won't all render unless you accidentally cook the fark out of the rib roast. After all, the idea by not putting the roast on cold is that you are getting the rib roast up to med-rare almost all at once. So if you are concerned about drippings getting all in your smoker and making a greasy mess, instead of trimming all the fat cap away, I would instead suggest utilizing a drip pan under your grates below you rib roasts. That's a lot of prime rib. Sounds like it is gonna be a party. Good luck! Post us some pics.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoke View Post
>> Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker

Letting them sit out ONE hour ... though it will be *better* than straight-from-fridge, one hour isn't enough. I agree with earlier posts, there'll be too much well-done and not enough pink in the middle.

If you have time, YES trim, to 1/8" to 1/4" fat. THEN rub with salt. THEN sit for four hours.

That's what I would do.

J
^^This^^. But please leave at least 1/4" fat for me and other fat lovers. Others can cut theirs off on their plate!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

I use Montreal Steak seasoning on my Rib Roasts. Good mix of seasonings for such robust beef.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoke View Post

That's what I would do.

J
Agreed.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Heading over to station shortly to start trimming. Will get some pics of the process. Should I put rub on tonight or wait til morning and do it when I set them out. Also how long per pound should I figure at 225?