Tastes like....parsley

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I decided to smoke some chicken breasts this weekend to mix things up a bit, and I helped my wife build her first parsley box. I sliced the chicken breast and put it in the box, with the intention of letting it rest about 20 minutes before sampling. I may have waited 30 minutes, or a bit longer, as I was working on some ribs too. Anyways, when I tried the chicken, it was good, moist, but the bottom tasted like damn parsley. Has anyone experienced this? Granted, it won't sit in a box for that long, but I've never even smelled the parsley. Maybe I just had a real pungent bunch or something. The bottom of the chicken breast didn't have much rub or sauce either, so that could be part of the problem.

My take: the heat of the chicken released the aromatic component of the parsley. If I were doing a turn in, I'd wait till the last minute before placing the chicken in the box.

Try spraying your parsley bed with just a very very small amount of canola oil...don't use Pam, but use cooking oil in a spritzer. Trick is to leave just enough so it doesn't create an obvious visible oil layer, but enough to prevent flavor transfer from the parsley. It also will prevent sticking.

Parsley

Yes this has been a problem in PNWBA - many of the teams that do a bed of parsley have this problem or the parsley comes with the chicken when the judges take it out of the box. I only use lettuce for my chicken entries. No unwanted flavor and no hangers on. :)

Back