MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #31
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Delicious,thanks for the pron.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I made some chili the other day, used
beef, onions, garlic, jalapenos, chilies, New Mexico Hatch chile powder, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, smoked salt, beer, tequila, beef stock... I think that was all. :)
Now that looks really tasty!! Thanks for sharing.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Looks fantastic. As a Texan, I applaud your choice of beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #34
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Good stuff. We're doing a Chili Christmas party this weekend. My secret ingredient is beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Fantastic looking bowl of red, Cowgirl! Your pics are chilehead eye candy, for sure.

To any brethren trying to locate pure New Mex powder, I have ordered from the Chileshop (pictured powder), for more than 20 years and never been disappointed. Pendery's is also very good. Now to get out the Dutch oven...

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #36
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Beautiful bowl of red! Fantastic.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #37
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now I wanna leave work and go home and make/eat chili.

At any rate - I'm glad to see the chili powder found a good home where it's getting the love and attention it deserves! I was reading down the post, loving on the chili, and then I see the tortillas and about fell out of my chair - just simply fantastic!

Speaking of chili, I may have a little brisket and pulled pork in the freezer....hmmmm....

Thanks for the kind words Jeannie and right back atcha!

Oh - and a big +1 on chocolate in chili - Phu knows of what he speaks!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
Westexbbq

Great looking bowl of red, love the tequila reference!
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Thanks for the kind comments friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
2-2.5lbs of chucksteak
2-2.5lbs of country style ribs (i know it is pork butt sliced up )
1 green pepper
2 jalapeno
2 anaheim chiles
1 pasilla chile
* I also added 2 what seemed to be Chile de arbol but not 100% sure since my friend gave them to me and didn't tell me what kind they were*
5 roma tomatos
1 can of stewed tomatos (you could use fresh tomato's here but I ran out and didn't feel like making a run to the store for more fresh tomatos)
1 bottle of a good microbrew beer
beef broth - I used low sodium so I could control the salt a little bit more.
1 large onion
a whole lotta garlic - super accurate measurement there I know
1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
~4 teaspoons paprika
~4 teaspoons oregano
some chili powder - not sure of my measurement on this, I did it to taste and I think i ended up with about 1/4cup

I smoked all the peppers for about an hour and the chucksteak and pork for about 2hrs. I then cubed the meat and diced the chiles after smoking them. The meat I lightly seasoned with salt/pepper.

In my cast iron dutch oven, sweat out the onions, garlic, peppers/chiles. Add the meat and tomato's/canned tomatos and cook down for another hour. Add in the the dry seasonings and let it cook down for 30mins. Add in the beer and beef broth. Cook down to the consistency you want. I would taste every 30mins or so and would salt to taste towards the end of the cook. (Since the beef broth has salt in it, I salted towards the end so the chili wouldn't be too salty for my tastes)
Thanks SO much aawa!! Your recipe sounds delicious!! I can't wait to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Okay, "KINDA" tasty! I can taste it from here Jeanie! Next, when you add the powder, spices etc to the onions, peppers, try some of that stuff on a warm corn tort! Don't ask me how I know this, but one time my buddy and I ate ALL OF THE onions, peppers just by themselves on tortillas. Yes, alcohol was involved. We then made a second batch for the chile verde were were making.

Tequilla..............Shiner Bock............See Arlin, Jeanie is a Texas Girl at Heart!

I LOVE that purdy sheen on the top of the chili. That's flavor rite thar!! YUMMY!!

"Kinda" tasty she says............. We all know that chili was fanfarkintastic! Yes, I'd hit that many times!

Bob
lol Bob, Thanks!! I bet those onions are great in a tortilla... will do that for sure.
lol Some of my best friends are Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmac View Post
Fantastic looking bowl of red, Cowgirl! Your pics are chilehead eye candy, for sure.

To any brethren trying to locate pure New Mex powder, I have ordered from the Chileshop (pictured powder), for more than 20 years and never been disappointed. Pendery's is also very good. Now to get out the Dutch oven...
mwmac Thanks for the info! Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Now I wanna leave work and go home and make/eat chili.

At any rate - I'm glad to see the chili powder found a good home where it's getting the love and attention it deserves! I was reading down the post, loving on the chili, and then I see the tortillas and about fell out of my chair - just simply fantastic!

Speaking of chili, I may have a little brisket and pulled pork in the freezer....hmmmm....

Thanks for the kind words Jeannie and right back atcha!

Oh - and a big +1 on chocolate in chili - Phu knows of what he speaks!
Thanks again Greg... I'm looking forward to several pots of chili this winter to keep me warm! Will give the chocolate a go too.

Thanks again friends!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking dish Jeanie. (as always)

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Thanks Cowgirl, I stole your tortilla recipe...... Also went to that chili Shop and ordered both kinds of chili powder, Hatch and Dixon. How much did you use for a pot? That looks so good.................Now I want chili........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-smoker View Post
Nice looking dish Jeanie. (as always)
Thanks Mike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Thanks Cowgirl, I stole your tortilla recipe...... Also went to that chili Shop and ordered both kinds of chili powder, Hatch and Dixon. How much did you use for a pot? That looks so good.................Now I want chili........
Great! I start with about 2 tablespoons of chili powder than add more to taste. I keep adding one tablespoon at a time.

The tortillas are tasty when hot and fresh. It helps to put them into a plastic baggie as you pull them off the frying pan. Keeps them moist and pliable. I love them slathered with butter while they are hot.

Hope it all works out well for you, looking forward to your pics!!
Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #43
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

I was on your blog last week checking out chili recipies. I went back to your blog today and see you got one, nice.

Looks great as ususal. Hope all is well.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #44
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
I was on your blog last week checking out chili recipies. I went back to your blog today and see you got one, nice.

Looks great as ususal. Hope all is well.
Thanks Maverick, good to see ya! Hope all is well with you too.
I ended up with three deer. Got my buck and doe then received another buck from a friend. Have been processing a lot of venison the last few days.

Hope you had great luck hunting too.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #45
deguerre

Fantastic! Um, your tortillas kinda look like mine...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote