MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #2746
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron_si View Post
Did a beef rib cook this weekend and some Mac and cheese. I used the recipe Kosmo just posted on YouTube and it turned out pretty well.

I did a hot sauce slather and then Texas beef and cow cover hot. Really liked that rub combo. The sliced picture looks dry but they were not at all

Nice cook! Curious, how did the Yoder perform and what are your thoughts regarding the smoke profile imparted by the Yoder? You may have previously mentioned it, but what pellets are you burning?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #2747
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

Smoke flavor is by far better than my traeger but it’s still on the lighter side compared to a PBC (another smoker I eat off regularly). It does consume a pretty good amount of pellets but I’m under 2lb/hr which I’m fine with. On Friday I did a 10lb butt, brisket flat, and a fatty. Once the fatty finished I put 45-50 poppers on the lower grate while the 2 big meats were cooking. I also can fit the largest size aluminum casserole pan now so that amount of space is worth the extra pellet burn to me.

I run lumberjack competition pellets

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #2748
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

It took me a long time to get through all the posts in this thread, but there is a lot of good information that made it worth the time. My recently purchased small inexpensive Traeger is definitely not the same quality of build as many of the ones discussed in here.
Since I had not had a working grill of any kind for over a decade, I wanted a middle of the road entry level model. My preference for smoked meat and ease of use made me decide to go with the pellet route. Things like the biscuit test and other tips I have read here will likely get me to be even happier with the purchase. Assuming I keep using it like I have the past few weeks, maybe I will graduate to a higher end model. Thanks for all the information and hopefully I won't drive you guys crazy with questions in the near future.

First question: My grill was part of a package that included a bag of mesquite and a bag of hickory pellets. I have been really happy with the hickory flavor but some reports have me scared of the mesquite pellets for anything other than beef cooks. Is it really that much more of an aggressive smoke flavor than hickory is? Since I will mainly be cooking pork, chicken, and turkey on occasion due to personal preference I am wondering what would be the best way to make use of them.
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #2749
rwalters

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeerGeek View Post
It took me a long time to get through all the posts in this thread, but there is a lot of good information that made it worth the time. My recently purchased small inexpensive Traeger is definitely not the same quality of build as many of the ones discussed in here.
Since I had not had a working grill of any kind for over a decade, I wanted a middle of the road entry level model. My preference for smoked meat and ease of use made me decide to go with the pellet route. Things like the biscuit test and other tips I have read here will likely get me to be even happier with the purchase. Assuming I keep using it like I have the past few weeks, maybe I will graduate to a higher end model. Thanks for all the information and hopefully I won't drive you guys crazy with questions in the near future.

First question: My grill was part of a package that included a bag of mesquite and a bag of hickory pellets. I have been really happy with the hickory flavor but some reports have me scared of the mesquite pellets for anything other than beef cooks. Is it really that much more of an aggressive smoke flavor than hickory is? Since I will mainly be cooking pork, chicken, and turkey on occasion due to personal preference I am wondering what would be the best way to make use of them.

First, welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! :)

As far as mesquite pellets... I do not find them to be unpleasant. Give it a whirl and make an informed decision... whatcha got to lose ;)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #2750
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:

If they are Traeger pellets they are only about 20% mesquite, so I don't think you would have a problem using them on pork, chicken, and turkey. When burning chunks or splits with mesquite, you can get some really strong flavor, nad even bitterness if you go too far. I haven't noticed that with pellets, but you do get a nice light mesquite flavor that I find enjoyable. Lumberjack Mesquite blend is one of my favorite pellets, along with Hickory, and Cherry.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #2751
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Robb about the mesquite pellets although I have not used any lately

Also just cause a grill cost more doesn't exactly mean that it cooks better

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #2752
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

I’ve burned all kinds of pellets including mesquite. I don’t know that I can tell a difference between any of them but that could just be me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #2753
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

I was always kinda wondering what the pellet burn was on my PG1000, since it seemed to be pretty frugal. A couple of weeks back, I did a 14 hour cook on a brisket. For that I used the B&B Post Oak pellets. I cleaned out the hopper and dropped the whole 20# sack in the hopper. Haven't used it since then (!) and it's steaks tonight, so time to swap pellets. I pulled all the pellets and weighed what I had left: 8 pounds (3/4 oz, but who cares). So, 12# used in 14 hours works out to 0.86lbs/hr. This was cooking at 275, and outside temp was 75-85.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2019, 02:16 AM   #2754
Bigsmokering
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : M

Guess Ill join in on the pellet fun. Made a 15lb brisket and a 2 racks of ribs (one sauced/one dry) both turned out really good. Brisket was trimmed and rubbed down with kosmo q texas beef, cow cover, and oakridge bbq black ops. Wrapped in butcher paper at the 5 hrs mark and took about 9.5 hrs to reach 206.

Sauced ribs were seasoned with Heath Riles pecan and honey rub, wrapped with apple juice and then sauced. Dry ribs were ran 2 hrs unwrapped, 1 hr wrapped, and then another hr unwrapped. Used Kosmo Q killer bee chipotle and dirty bird on those

Last edited by Bigsmokering; 06-21-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Bigsmokering is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #2755
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmokering View Post
Guess Ill join in on the pellet fun. Made a 15lb brisket and a 2 racks of ribs (one sauced/one dry) both turned out really good. Brisket was trimmed and rubbed down with kosmo q texas beef, cow cover, and oakridge bbq black ops. Wrapped in butcher paper at the 5 hrs mark and took about 9.5 hrs to reach 206.

Sauced ribs were seasoned with Heath Riles pecan and honey rub, wrapped with apple juice and then sauced. Dry ribs were ran 2 hrs unwrapped, 1 hr wrapped, and then another hr unwrapped. Used Kosmo Q killer bee chipotle and dirty bird on those

Looking goooood!!!! :)

Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #2756
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Good job!

Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #2757
GatorBeerGeek

I saw on another forum that Rural King had Lumberjack pellets on sale for $5 for a 20# bag. I do not have a store anywhere near me, but my parents live not too far from one and I plan on visiting them sometime this summer. I am thinking of having them go get quite a few bags for me. Unfortunately, I have not had my grill long enough to use any flavor other than Hickory Traeger pellets that came with it. I have mesquite in the hopper now but if any were used on the last cook it was barely any.

I know I am going to go for a few bags of the competition blend (Maple, Hickory, Cherry) and a few straight hickory.

They have Char Hickory, Apple Blend, Pecan Blend, 100% Oak, Mesquite Blend, 100% Hickory, and 100% Pecan. For some reason 100% Cherry is not on sale like the rest according to the web page and it is the only other wood I have used in the past to know I liked and it was not on my grill. How does the char hickory differ from regular hickory in terms of flavor?

While I will mainly be smoking chicken breast on the regular I will also be doing pork a fair bit with the occasional turkey breast. I have yet to use my grill as a grill for burgers, but I do expect to do that maybe once or twice a month and I am not sure if I will want those with smoke taste or hot and fast since I have not had a chance to try it yet. I was not a fan of the smoke flavor in steaks so those would be hot and fast and also about once a month or so. With all that, any suggestions on other flavors to try? With them being a third of the price I can get locally I thought now would be the time to take a flier while still getting a good amount of what I know I like.

ETA: It looks like they do show cherry in the flyer as well. I was going by the price on the web page.

Last edited by GatorBeerGeek; 06-10-2019 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #2758
GatorBeerGeek

I called my parents and they happened to be in the town with the Rural King store for an appointment today. I asked them to get me 4 Competition Blend, 3 Hickory, and 1 each of Apple, Cherry, and Pecan. Assuming they are all in stock, that will give me a good amount of ones I am pretty confident I will enjoy along with some new flavor woods to try out.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #2759
rwalters

Quote:
I called my parents and they happened to be in the town with the Rural King store for an appointment today. I asked them to get me 4 Competition Blend, 3 Hickory, and 1 each of Apple, Cherry, and Pecan. Assuming they are all in stock, that will give me a good amount of ones I am pretty confident I will enjoy along with some new flavor woods to try out.

You could easily get these pellets for free by having your parents buy double the number of bags you just mentioned... bring them home and sell the extras for double the price on CL and FB Marketplace. Bet they’d go fairly quickly as they’d still be a great deal in a town that doesn’t have pricing that good anywhere nearby. Easy peasy!

Old 06-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #2760
GatorBeerGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
You could easily get these pellets for free by having your parents buy double the number of bags you just mentioned... bring them home and sell the extras for double the price on CL and FB Marketplace. Bet they’d go fairly quickly as they’d still be a great deal in a town that doesn’t have pricing that good anywhere nearby. Easy peasy!
I am sure I could, but I am more than happy paying my $50 for 10 bags when I thought the low end would be around $15 per locally. I did ask my friend if he wanted some at cost because he would do the same for me. Free would be awesome, but dealing with someone from CL has a strong possibility to make me wish I just parted with the cash.