MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

To whoever wants to know I have checked 22.5 inch Weber lid on a 120qt boiling pot and its pretty close. I'm sure that will vary depending on the brand of the pot.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Coby65
Got Wood.

Ok my DW is questioning my sanity!
Started with a Weber 18.5 kettle then a Gas grill, for vegetables and burgers. Next I built a UDS and that led to the purchase of a Traeger recently to replace the dying gas grill..................Now I have another smoker to build!!!!!!

I have SJG that I always hated because it never seemed to cook right........now I know what to do with it!!!!!!!

She probably won't commit me to the institution until after I pick up an off set and a Santa Maria

Old 11-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I really want to build a mini UDS for my dad. He lost a leg and struggles to get around and the UDS is to big for him to manage.
Any suggestions on where to get a 30 gallon drum? Looked on Ebay, and CL and online and only found a new one for 55 plus shipping. That is to much for me to pay
Thanks
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana Smoker View Post
I really want to build a mini UDS for my dad. He lost a leg and struggles to get around and the UDS is to big for him to manage.
Any suggestions on where to get a 30 gallon drum? Looked on Ebay, and CL and online and only found a new one for 55 plus shipping. That is to much for me to pay
Thanks
I would suggest calling truck stops or other big truck repair and maintenance facilities. Many times I have seen the 30 gallon drums used to store grease and other lubricants used on big rigs.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
Kevin

Quote:
Thanks
An aluminum Tamale steamer has been used for this. Amazon has a variety of sizes, many with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search

Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
An aluminum Tamale steamer has been used for this. Amazon has a variety of sizes, many with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search
What size am I looking for?

Sorry to hi-jack the post. My explaination has the best intentions. Your mini UDS is amazing and it would be perfect for my dad.

My apologies

Last edited by Louisiana Smoker; 11-28-2010 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Had to many beverages when typing
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
Kevin

The thread starter Mister Bob would be better to answer that. I've not made one of these, just offering a source for a pot. For reference, I've got a 32 quart Tamale steamer and it measures about 15.5 inches. I think you'll want something larger.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Very cool, nice job on the build.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is truly great!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Sorry to hi-jack the post. My explination has the best intentions. Your mini UDS is amazong and it would be perfect mor my dad.

My apologies
I made the Mini UDS from a 40 quart stainless stock pot. It's 14" diameter and about 15" high. The cooking grate from the Weber Smokey Joe is a little under 14", and you can find the Smokey Joe on sale for less than $30 new. The dome fits perfectly and I used the 10" charcoal grate too.

For extra cooking grids, I used charcoal grates for the 18.5" Weber Kettle. They measure just under 14" too. The're less than $10 each at Home Depot.

The intakes are 1/2" steel nipples, and that's a 1/2" ball valve on the front.
If anyone needs more detail than that, feel free to PM me.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #26
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome little smoker!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #27
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Very very cool... perfect actually.
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #28
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice, very nice
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #29
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome Mister Bob!! I've got a smoker joe (tamale pot mod) that I use quite often to cook for my family of 7 (you can get a lot of grub in these little guys)!!

I've often thought of something like you just built. Yours is great!! I'll be saving this thread for reference!

I made a fire basket out of the SJ charcoal grate and expanded metal...the ring is a little over 2" tall. I can get 60 briqs in there, and about a 5 hour burn time in my smoker.

Thanks for sharing!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Sorry to hi-jack the post. My explaination has the best intentions. Your mini UDS is amazing and it would be perfect for my dad.

My apologies
Check out the link to the bullet site. Lots of info on tamale steamer conversion...including some specifics on where to find pots (i got one from walmart).
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote