MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Trying to decide on a new cooker for comps this year

Let me start off by saying that living in NY is very frustrating when searching for a good BBQ pit. Not many companies up here in the northeast and shipping from the south or southwest is outrageous.

My choices are limited and I accept that. I wanted to get a Yoder 640 pellet cooker but Kansas is too far to ship.

Backwoods was another option but shipping and backlogs has them a little priced out and I want a pit sooner then they can get me one.

Forget all the sob stories.......here's what I DO have access to.

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven........I already have the temp controls, it's awesomely portable, basically a backwoods style built well and from a company I trust....plus the cooker was good enough for RGC at the Jack if the Pitmasters does his job so that's a plus in my book.

Green Mountain Pellet cooker...........I like the idea of getting at least a few peaceful hours of sleep at a contest. Putting my brisket and butts on the GM and knowing she will be where it was when I crashed as long as the hopper is full. Negatives are I have never cooked on a pellet pit and I'm not sure how off my flavors will be. Also I have seen some concerns with GM about temp control and wide fluctuations within the pit and also questions about the not heavy duty nature of the construction. Little bigger then the Onyx and will cost a tad more due to sales tax.

On the plus side I believe Slap Yo Daddy and a few other winning teams cook on them when they obviously have other choices so that's a plus in my book.

Any thoughts or experience with either or anything close would be appreciated.

I want to make my decision this week and be done with it.
Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

we cook on two GMGs and have had some good success using them. temp control is pretty consitant and the new drip pans really helped even out temps. Plus the new GMG fruit blend pellets are awesome (pecan and cherry mix)
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks rooftop,

How long have the new drip pans been out??..what I mean is could I possibly get an old model if I hit a dealer who doesn't move a ton of cookers and may still have last years sitting around.

Anything I can look for on the box or model numbers that would let me know I was getting the new drip pan setup included?? I think the new models start temp at 150 and the old ones didn't but not sure if that has anything to do with the drip pans.

Thanks man.......didn't even know they had a pellet blend.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you say from New York..is that the city or State which is 600 miles long? If you are in the big city, I seen a posting on here for a backwoods for sale and also check with Rick from SeaBrisket..he might have something..however there are several cookers for sale in the area of the eastern seaboard

Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
you say from New York..is that the city or State which is 600 miles long? If you are in the big city, I seen a posting on here for a backwoods for sale and also check with Rick from SeaBrisket..he might have something..however there are several cookers for sale in the area of the eastern seaboard
Sorry........always forget that. I live near Buffalo in Western NY about as far from NY City as possible (thank god). I am like an hour or two from PA and/or Ohio going south or west.

Hard to even find a dealer for most big name pits anywhere near here.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

shoot me an email at bigbellybarbeque@yahoo I live on rt 5...have options for you and you can look at different stlye cookers..

Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out Humphreys
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Yes what he said above, check out the new Humphrey's Pits They are located in Maine, great people too!!!! Mine is on order, can't wait to get it!!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Mooney
Got rid of the matchlight.

In my opinion, it is hard to beat a Stumps Smoker! I use one with a Guru, and get plenty of sleep during comps.
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Have you checked with Yoder on shipping?

I was expecting outrageous shipping but it was pretty reasonable. Granted it was going to IN.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's simple. Bite the bullet, pay the shipping and buy a Spicewine medium. It is built like a brick chithouse and may last you for the rest of your life. With a Guru and a charcoal bin it will cook for 18 hours straight on a bag of charcoal.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Hoggz View Post
Yes what he said above, check out the new Humphrey's Pits They are located in Maine, great people too!!!! Mine is on order, can't wait to get it!!!!
You got it I have mine plus I sell them for them I will PM you.

Last edited by smokinit; 02-12-2015 at 05:24 PM..
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck

Atlasman,

What's the price range you are looking at? I have have a FEC-100 that I am looking to sell if your interested in a pellet smoker. PM me if your interested. I live in Easton, PA, only about 6 hours from Buffalo.

Chuck Dorak
Chuck's Wagon BBQ

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

From Zilla's list of pit builders. http://www.meadowcreekbarbecue.com/index.php

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

Stumps is built very well, if you want one it will take upwards of 6 months to get it.
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote