• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Sausage at KCBS contest, what do you enter?

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In a KCBS sanctioned contest with the optional smoked sausage category, what do you enter? Do you enter a cased sausage, or a fatty?

And if you do cased sausage, do you turn in six individual links, or one cut into six pieces? I assume if you enter a fatty, you would slice up just one to turn in.

Thanks in advance!

you can turn in any of those..as a cook i have always turned in cased sausage..cut into segments..as a judge ive seen everything you mentioned turned in..

Have seen it done every way you can think of. Don't know which does best. If you hit a winner let us know. keith

Since sausage is not a KCBS category, check with the organizer for their rules. In some cases you can turn in only sausage, others will allow stuffing, sauce, etc. You should verify that.

When allowed we've done well with fatties. I usually cook a couple and pick the best slices, but I did do mini-fatties once and did pretty well with that, too.

Since sausage is not a KCBS category, check with the organizer for their rules. In some cases you can turn in only sausage, others will allow stuffing, sauce, etc. You should verify that.

Ditto. In our experience, the SAME competition but on different years had different rules. One year they only allowed sausage in the box. Another year they allowed fatties, etc.

From our limited experience, we have seen better results when turning in an uncased fatty sliced up compared to cased links.

At a comp last year with a team mate, we turned in a meaty link that was relatively tame in flavor, but performed well for a 2nd place.
This year I had a custom made Italian style sausage done with Chipotle's in it. I sauced it with a very sweet blueberry BBQ sauce. I thought it his right with the sweet, then meat, then heat. Judged poorly.

Ditto. In our experience, the SAME competition but on different years had different rules. One year they only allowed sausage in the box. Another year they allowed fatties, etc.

Erm...a fatty *is* only sausage. Adding anything other than rub to the surface is an abomination, plain and simple. Long live the naked fatty! :razz:

Seriously though, as a judge I don't have a preference one way or another and I really haven't seen or heard of one from the other judges either. Cased or uncased, sauced or unsauced, etc. doesn't seem to matter much in my experience. If it's good, it will score well. If it's not, it won't. Plain and simple.

One year at the royal I turned in johnsonville brats with a mustard glaze. Finished top 20. Sliced into large pieces and turned in about 3 links. To me the key is keeping it moist. Casing helps.

Back