BBQ Brethren "Latin Cuisine" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Latin Cuisine"[/size]
1795758886_06a87515d0.jpg

Image from AntiguaDailyPhoto.com.

...as chosen by h00kemh0rns, the winner of the Food You Eat With Your Hands Throwdown!

Here is what h00kemh0rns has in mind for this Throwdown...
Wikipedia has a good run down of what constitutes Latin Cuisine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_cuisine

Make any one dish or meal based on one, or combination, of Latin regions. This could even be a fusion of American BBQ with flavors from Latin (ie spices, peppers, etc.) Be creative so long as the inspiration comes from a Latin lineage the entry qualifies.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/25 through Sunday 3/6.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 3/6.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 3/7 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 3/11. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the By Brethren for Brethren Throwdown until Sunday night 2/27 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Lamb Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Oh, I like this one. I only wish it was later in the year, so I could pick the produce from my own garden. Win or lose, I'm going to enjoy this throwdown!

CD

I'm salivating already. I hope I have time to put something in. I don't think I've been this excited since Justin Bieber's last album dropped.

Just to clarify, the title says "Latin Cuisine" while the Wikipedia entry is "Latin American Cuisine". Is it safe to assume the Italian version of Latin Cuisine is out?

Just to clarify, the title says "Latin Cuisine" while the Wikipedia entry is "Latin American Cuisine". Is it safe to assume the Italian version of Latin Cuisine is out?

I was just waiting for this to be asked and discussed for the next 3 pages! Latin is one of those really ambiguous terms. Technically, it should include quisine from Romania to Spain, in addition to "Latin America" and of course Quebecois (more poutine, Tom?). The example given was "Latin America," which is much more limiting, of course, but I'm guessing is what is meant and expected. I'm sure after all the discussions, it will be left up to the voter to decide, but I'm liking spaghetti or some mititei. :becky:

So, my plans for valvulis basa pisces garum uuae are not gonna qualify for this Throwdown?

The example given was "Latin America," which is much more limiting, of course, but I'm guessing is what is meant and expected.
:thumb:

Yes the expectation is that the Latin part of the entry must be limited to the wiki countries listed. In this case Latin America.

It is a little known fact that the Romans, Chinese and Japanese may have visited the Central and South American continents thousands of years ago, so it is likely that garum, nuoc mam, nam pla, shoyu and hoisin are all in play for this Throwdown.:p

Back