First Cook on WSM

sefus12

Reaction score
I just picked up my WSM yesterday and was looking to do something fairly quick tonight to break it in prior to a day-long session on Saturday. Anyone have any ideas of something I could throw on tonight that won't take 4+ hours to finish? And I'd like to avoid a whole chicken as I've done a few of those on the kettle lately. Thanks!

Beau

Do you like meatloaf? Meatloaves are amazing smoked and will take a couple of hours depending on size. Wings or thighs are also good

Weeping ribs. Should take about 4 hours and will make good use of the fact that your new WSM is gonna run hot.

Heck just start a fire in it and roll some nice smoke out of it. Spray the inside with veg spray and start learning Temp control. Order a pizza and dinner is served!

Heck just start a fire in it and roll some nice smoke out of it. Spray the inside with veg spray and start learning Temp control. Order a pizza and dinner is served!

That's exactly what i did. Started with minion method and full water pan, and played with adjusting all the intakes to see how sensitive it was from 225-300 and settling times.

I actually decided to mix it up a bit and go with a flat iron steak. I know it's easy to over-do but I'm going to pull it off around 130-135 and give it a quick sear on the kettle (gotta have that look). Hopefully the simple rub of dark ground coffee, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne will work well. I'll check back in later!

Back