Cast Iron Renovation

When i restor cast iron the first thing i do is soak it in vinegar (acid). Only for about 5 hours . Scrub with a stainless steel pad. Rinse and put it in a tub of lye about 1an to thre gallons of water. You can leave it for days . I have had skellts in the salution for a week with no harm to the piece . As for me i have over 90 pieces of c i . That are ready to cook with ... And do .

It's very rare that I use anything but cast iron when I cook. There's nothing better, in my book. Great job on the restoration! Looks fantastic! :thumb:

I literally dug up a 14 inch Wagner that had been buried for 20+ years. Wire brushing got the majority of the crud, then oven cleaner and burned it off in the fire. Another scrubbing, followed by an oiling and seasoning in the oven, and it was good to go...

It's very rare that I use anything but cast iron when I cook. There's nothing better, in my book. Great job on the restoration! Looks fantastic! :thumb:

You have a book? Bacon is greater than love? :razz:

Since I now know they are restore-able. I will keep an eye out at the flea market, thrift store and yard sales. I love the three pieces I have.

I found the scrubbing and oven cleaner to be a lot of work. So, i set up an electrolysis bath. Much easier and well worth it if you are going to do many pieces, especially if they are in bad shape.

Rubbermaid container with cooling rack in bottom, wire attached.
View attachment 75450
Rubber sink mats next.
View attachment 75451
Griddle with wire attached. Using a 10 amp battery charger.
View attachment 75452
All the yuck coming off.
View attachment 75453

Super easy. The only part that costs much money is the charger, if you don't already have one. I paid $35 for this one.

Last edited:
The top is flat. The bottom is raised.

Not what I meant. If you were to put the griddle on e.g. a tablesaw's ground-flat table, does it sit flatly, or does it rock? In other words, has it warped during its life? (Bane of cast iron items ..)

SPB

Back