MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Because it tastes good.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Because sweet, heat and savory combos rule.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Yup. And, with Splenda you cover the chlorine part of the spectrum, too.

John
The set up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Shut the Fark Up that is the secret ingredient
BAM!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
the set up...

Bam!
lol!
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I usually glaze my ribs so I prefer not too much sugar in my rubs cause the sweet comes from my glaze.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
krandy21784
Knows what a fatty is.

I have always used brown sugar in my rub to balnce the heaked of the Chipoltle powder and red peper....

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

A salty sweet combo is ideal. You don't have to do this with beef, but it usually works.
I used to do my steak with just s&p. I created steak rub that has turbinado sugar on it, and the depth of flavor is unbelievable.
It really comes down to your tastebuds, and you are not wrong if you don't like sugar as much as the next guy.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Salt and sweet is about as classic a combination as there is.

John

In most rubs I make and use there is not a great amount of sugar to "sweeten" the cooked meat.

But Just as salt can enhance or bring forward some of the savory flavors of some spices, sugar can also help enhance some of the other flavors that could be lost in a rub without it.

My favorite rub has anchovy powder in it, you can not taste it or even suspect it is there. But it does help brighten and intensify the flavor of the other spices in the rub.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Helps with bark and can give a nice balance. Half my rubs contain sugar, the other half don't because some people like it and some don't.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
Boshizzle

On beef, I use molasses to help with bark production. I cook HnF so it helps. you can't taste any sweetness from it though. I use just a very light coat.

And, speaking of BBQing meat without any seasoning, the BBQ place I used to work for when in high school used no seasoning on whole pork shoulders. We just cooked them for about 12 to 14 hours at low temperature. The bark on those shoulders was spectacular!

There was one small piece of meat on those shoulders we used to call the pig cookie. It was only about the diameter of a half dollar but it would get the most delectable bark on the outside and be tender and juicy on the inside. Whenever I got near the shoulders and no one was looking, I would always claim a couple of those for myself!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshizzle View Post
on beef, i use molasses to help with bark production. I cook hnf so it helps. You can't taste any sweetness from it though. I use just a very light coat.

And, speaking of bbqing meat without any seasoning, the bbq place i used to work for when in high school used no seasoning on whole pork shoulders. We just cooked them for about 12 to 14 hours at low temperature. The bark on those shoulders was spectacular!

There was one small piece of meat on those shoulders we used to call the pig cookie. It was only about the diameter of a half dollar but it would get the most delectable bark on the outside and be tender and juicy on the inside. Whenever i got near the shoulders and no one was looking, i would always claim a couple of those for myself!
lol!
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
mawil1013
On the road to being a farker

IMHO, comp is so far removed from q that it ain't q. Real comp should be, here is your stack of logs, your whole hog, let's see what you can do. comp is commercialized, seems the only purpose of comp is to sell a restaurant or a sauce. But, that's just my personal opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Salt helps retain moisture. So it is obvious one needs salt. Most of us like a slightly salty taste but salt at that level doesn't provide enough moisture. So we add more salt then add sugar to balance the saltiness.
As an experiment when you buy a city ham that is too salty try a simple sweet glaze and taste again. Usually the over saltiness is reduced.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

If you google for popular rib rubs, many of the recipes contain more than 70% sugar. Alton Brown's recipe is closer to 80% sugars. I lost all respect for him after seeing one of his BBQ episodes.

He actually stated in the show that cooking ribs above 230 F would result in rib jerky. Where did he get that BS from?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
On beef, I use molasses to help with bark production. I cook HnF so it helps. you can't taste any sweetness from it though. I use just a very light coat.

And, speaking of BBQing meat without any seasoning, the BBQ place I used to work for when in high school used no seasoning on whole pork shoulders. We just cooked them for about 12 to 14 hours at low temperature. The bark on those shoulders was spectacular!

There was one small piece of meat on those shoulders we used to call the pig cookie. It was only about the diameter of a half dollar but it would get the most delectable bark on the outside and be tender and juicy on the inside. Whenever I got near the shoulders and no one was looking, I would always claim a couple of those for myself!
Every day presents an opportunity to learn something new. Today, for example, I learned that Bo went to high school....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->