MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #61
tarhog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Yeah, me too, I think the choice of plum preserves is brilliant -- hearty and robust, just like ribs are. Really nice looking ribs, tarhog, and the rest of the plate, too. In fact, I like the plate itself, it's pretty and cradles your entry into "comfort food". What's under the bacon press on the grill?

I wonder, if we wanted to make smoked sea salt like you have a jar of, could we just put a dish of sea salt on the grill? Wouldn't that be a lovely addition to something?

Good show, tarhog!
Thanks, I ran out of tin foil and had to use aluminum cake pans for the rest of the potatoes. The press is holding the lid on a little tighter.
tarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #62
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhog View Post
...I ran out of tin foil...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #63
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #64
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

We need more entries!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #65
SmokinAussie

I got one... But I'm driving back home today... Been away for a few days..

I hope some other entries come in.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #66
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I cooked my entry for friends on Thursday and took pics -- sorry, none were prep shots this time. Hosting a family reunion at our place tomorrow (Sunday) noon. Some have to drive 3 or 4 hours to get home so it's usually long done before dark. Once we pack up what we need to I'll work on posting my entry.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #67
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Default This is my Throwdown entry!

This is a photo taken by Moose of the ABT's I made last Saturday (July 7) at the market research BBQ gathering hosted by Moose at his place.

Here's Moose's post about the event with plenty more pr0n: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=138714
Enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #68
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I'd hit those!

Actually, I had quite a few of them and they were mighty tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
This is a photo taken by Moose of the ABT's I made last Saturday (July 7) at the market research BBQ gathering hosted by Moose at his place.

Here's Moose's post about the event with plenty more pr0n: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=138714
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #69
SmokinAussie

OKAY!!

Sorry Bruce's about the delay. Back at home now and I humbly submit this official entry into the "From the Heart" TD, in the most grovelling and obsequeous manner to Bigabyte, our very own TD God!

The full thread can be seen here where we catered for 120 people last Saturday evening

And, also, here is the thread where I asked by brothers for some advice, and got some great help!

Why this entry is "from the heart" is that I wanted to bring some of the awesome things I that I have learnt from this forum, to a new audience of people.

You'll know from a lot of my posts, that Aussies just don't know about "this kind" of American Food. They consider American Food just to be McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC etc... and at the high end of the market, we have TGI Fridays, and a few other themed style restaurants. It's so sad that Aussies are missing out on what "real" BBQ is all about.

So, from the heart. I tried to play a little part in rectifying that last week.

The most important part of the entire effort, was to make some pulled chucky. It would have been nice to have brisket, but I have not found a reliable source as yet. And I wanted to do a pulled pork, but we were on a budget for the cook, so the chucky was the go. Also, because we were cooking for children as well, having a pulled meat, was a lot better than having burgers. I made that mistake last year and made 150gram burgers. Too big for the kiddies, and so much food went uneaten. With a pulled chucky, everyone could have as much or as little as they wanted.

So, I put my Bullet Bill into Action (Thanks Marty)

Here's a few in sequence of the Chucky's on their 21 hour Mission with peach wood and lump. I used a lemon and pepper rub. I figured for large volume catering, you can't go past brother Donny (Pitmaster T's) advice... and frankly, I'm keeping the rest of my SM rubs to myself!

The chuckies were injected with a reduced beef broth and similar ingredients to the prep thread, although I backed off the fish sauce a bit.

Remember... that's my Retard "Celcius Only" thermopen... It's still bloody fast though!

The chucky's just fell apart... man they were so moist and juicy too!

After the chucky's came off, I smoked up the Mac and Cheese!

While that was smoking, I prepped and completed the rest of the dishes, packed the van, and we were ready to go on our 30 minute trip to the venue!

When we got there, the first thing was to reheat the chicken wings in the vertical gasser. This worked like a CHARM! (Thanks Landarc)

Yep... that's 35 pounds of Chicken Wings right there in the vertical smoker! I got them to 140F on about 35 minutes!

Here is the Potato Salad with thanks to brother mmmeat (Big Kev) for his Moms recipe. I did modify it a bit with Myron Myxons recipe as well.. The result was awesome. I had Mums coming up to me saying the potato salad was the best they've ever had.

Well, I knew it would be, because in Australia, potato salad is just potato and mayo... that's it! No-one ever thinks to jazz it up!

I wanted to do Guerry's coleslaw recipe also... but I did not get it ready early enough for it to partially pickle... so sorry Guerry.. the coleslaw was just dressed with my regular dressing..

Here's that Mac and Cheese! The kiddies favourite... I heard all the little kids saying how good it was... SOOOO CHEESY!

Anyway.. we pulled the chucky and added back all the juices, which I had reduced on the stove and stored in my Thermus.

And service began...

This was my dish...

But if it's OK with the TD God, I'd like to nominate this pic for my entry pic... as it was repeated so many times in the original thread..

And as it was all about the chucky... this does it for me.

To be honest... doing this for so many people, seriously stressed me out. I wanted to put up something different, and I batted it out of the park, thanks to all the help I got from my brothers here, and my help on the day. The biggest joy I got was from the little kids. When they first saw the pulled beef, they really didn't know what the hell it was... so they just has a little bit. Well, all those kids came back for seconds and thirds.... there's my victory.

Honestly, I did not have a single bad comment. My wife came back from the camp a few days later and she told me that everyone was raving about the food for the rest of the camp... and that all the other food was terrible!

That's all I wanted to hear.

Thanks for your help everyone. We managed to make a difference that night!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #70
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Epic post Bill!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #71
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Wow, that looks great, Bill, ... but where is the blood sausage?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #72
caseydog

This is my entry, bigabyte.

Well, since my closest family is 250 miles away, and my friends all live on the internet, I cooked a meal for my best friend, Psycho Poodle.

I did some research on dog friendly cooking, and came up with a nice mix of meat, veggies and seasonings. My goal was to make a good, healthy meal for the pup, that I would also eat.

The meat was basic stew meat from Kroger, and the veggies are broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. The primary seasoning was cayenne -- which dogs like and it's good for them. Not too much, but enough to add some heat.

I also whipped up a gravy and some pasta.

I used a perforated grill pan for cooking on the 18.5 OTG, direct heat.

Here's the money shot -- a bowl for each of us (I gave PP more of the meat).

And here is money shot number two (use this one).

He ate everything except a few pieces of broccoli.

He spent time in doggie jail (the kennel) this week while I was travelling, so he was happy to be spoiled.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 07-15-2012 at 03:35 PM..
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #73
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Nice meal CD... I'm sure you both enjoyed it. My pooch would have felt like he died and went to heaven.

This shot brought a smile to my face! Love the bowl too...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #74
SmokinAussie

HI CD... you spoil that dog! That's too good for him! Where's mine!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #75
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Stellar Entry Bill! Mighty Fine!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote