MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #526
teej
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
Just a quick warning, got a package full of disappointment! The ceramic heat diffuser from chargriller only fits the new "akorn" model. I have the king griller from last year, it only has 2 tabs in the fire bowl. The diffuser is designed using three tabs which the akorn has.
I got the King Griller at Kroger and I'm pretty sure it has the 3 tabs, but I'll verify this evening and report back.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #527
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

The red King Griller from Menards does have the three tabs.

@Triple T, I just pulled the vent off of mine and ran a small bead of the high temp red RTV around the opening. Yours is the new style with the cast top vent, looks just like mine.

Also, you may want to keep watching the ash tray as there seems to be issues with it separating on the outer lip, Mine was doing this by one of the clamps, I just RTV'd that as well.

Last edited by ajmcedar; 05-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: added content
ajmcedar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #528
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
The red King Griller from Menards does have the three tabs.

@Triple T, I just pulled the vent off of mine and ran a small bead of the high temp red RTV around the opening. Yours is the new style with the cast top vent, looks just like mine.

Also, you may want to keep watching the ash tray as there seems to be issues with it separating on the outer lip, Mine was doing this by one of the clamps, I just RTV'd that as well.
Thanks AJM. Do you have a couple photos of where you put the pookie on the vent and ash tray?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #529
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Didn't snap any yesterday, will do when I get home tonight.

Here are a few:

New mod - Auber Controller, can't wait to try it out

Last edited by ajmcedar; 05-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: added pics
ajmcedar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #530
snook806
On the road to being a farker

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/C...r-Adaptor.html

just ordered the CGK adapter. I emailed BBQ Guru and they told me that it would fit the Akorn...can't wait to try it out

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #531
vw65bus
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbecue View Post
Here's my new CG Akorn in it's new home. (Yeah, I had a lot of parts left over after assembly)
Love it great job!!! I can't wait till work picks back up so I can start mine.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using tapatalk
vw65bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #532
Good'n'Burnt
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I was actually looking at one of these today, or at least I assume it was one of these at Lowe's. I've seen the bge in the past and considered them but price really has been the deciding factor on never picking one up. In a few weeks I'm going to be looking at getting a new grill/smoker of some sort. I'm thinking about picking up a wsm 22" cause I had 18" before. Back story..... had to move into an apartment 2 years ago 700 miles from home and haven't been able to cook like I used to. Just wasn't an option.

So I assume from the popularity of this thread that at least several of you guys like this product. Would you get it over the wsm, or what about a weber performer? I still have my old wsm but it is well seasoned and possibly ready to be let go or will it off to someone.
Good'n'Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #533
vw65bus
Found some matches.

Can't speak for the wsm cause I've never owned or used one but I would definitely get it over the performer. So much versatility. And everything i've cooked has came out great. I would get the akorn again even it costs more.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using tapatalk
vw65bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #534
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I have 2 WSM's (18 & 22) and a 22" Kettle, and a Ceramic Kamado, and I am going to get an Akorn next week, mainly for the portability.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #535
boileralum
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just a heads up - my local Menard's ad has these on sale for $249.
boileralum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #536
JTCorn
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

First time poster, actually found this site by searching for more information on the Chargriller Kamado. I have to say that the video reviews were quite insightful and pushed me over the ledge towards the purchase of one. Went and picked one up on Saturday morning. Put it together, seasoned it, and played with temperature control for the duration of that. Having always cooked with gas grills other than when camping and when using hickory strips for cooking shoulders with my father and grandfather growing up, this was was my first foray into using charcoal. I am slightly intimidated by this method, but anxious to delve into it further. I was able to keep my temp between 400 and 425 during the seasoning, and when I opened the vents and let it get up to around 650 for steaks (which were great!) it worked well. I anticipate doing ribs next weekend and need some advice on how much fuel to use when getting the fire started. I have Frontier lump charcoal (only thing Lowe's had in stock) and also have hickory chunks. My fear is that it will get too hot too quickly and I won't be able to get it under control.
JTCorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #537
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I just saw this Char Griller at the Great Bend Kansas Dillons (Kroger) store for $199. All I saw was the floor model, they had several in boxes earlier but I didn't have time to check the supply yesterday. Could be a good buy if there is anyone local.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #538
tonydp
Found some matches.

After all s said and done, im not sure if i actually needed to rtv anything
tonydp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #539
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

I have not rtv'd anything. I have cooked @250 and at 400. No prob

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #540
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
I have not rtv'd anything. I have cooked @250 and at 400. No prob
Same here I keep saying I should think about doing it but I have no problems hitting and holding 225-250 so I'm going to let it go. I am still trying to get the money together to order a BBQ Guru as I think it would work great with this cooker.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado