MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
What's that 28 lb pail of kitty litter for?

Sweet cooker!
I buy pellets in bulk from the factory, and I like to use different woods for different foods, so I got about 2 dozen frosting buckets from Sam's that they were just going to throw away and use them to store the pellets. It's much easier then messing with a ton of bags, and the stack very tight being square in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
NOW I'm jealous. That thing is a beauty!
What does the sliding heat damper do? Just allow you to get hotter over on that side?
Yes. It is the HMS system, identical to what is in their wood pits. With that closed this sucker is dead even side to side and front to back. As you slide it open it is direct access to the fire and allows for a hot spot on the left if/when you need it. The more you open it, the hotter the hot spot.

What else is nice with it is it allows heat and smoke to enter the cook chamber in the middle of the pit, rather than just at the edges and stack end like most other pellet pits. So it is a more even heat and smoke distribution.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Killer pit!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Totally sweet brother!!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
HookEcho
Got Wood.

Its not just 6" longer than the 1320, I believe its actually the same barrel size as the Kingman, not sure if its the same thickness. Good looking pit it I do say so, but then again I'm biased =)
HookEcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEcho View Post
Its not just 6" longer than the 1320, I believe its actually the same barrel size as the Kingman, not sure if its the same thickness. Good looking pit it I do say so, but then again I'm biased =)
The YS1500 is 42" long, the Kingman is 48". Also the YS1500 is 3/16" steel and the Kingman is 1/4", so they are a little different in those regards. But for all extensive purposes it is a Kingman with a pellet hopper instead of a firebox.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
TosaJake
On the road to being a farker

As a brand new YS640 owner, I can see myself moving up to one of these. Sweet Pit!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

AWESOME PIT!!! I see a lot of BLT's in your near future....

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Yes. It is the HMS system, identical to what is in their wood pits. With that closed this sucker is dead even side to side and front to back. As you slide it open it is direct access to the fire and allows for a hot spot on the left if/when you need it. The more you open it, the hotter the hot spot.
So...

The HMS is the sliding plate on the left, correct? And the handle on the front left allows you to adjust it while the pit is in use?

Are the graduated holes on the right side adjustable at all or are those fixed?

Also, did you have any grommets added for thermometer probes?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

What do you think realistic capacity is for butts? I am guessing around 8 - 10 maybe...

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
PigxelPerfectBbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This makes my 640 without comp cart look like a little toy. I want one!!!
PigxelPerfectBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Awesome smoker, congrats!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
What do you think realistic capacity is for butts? I am guessing around 8 - 10 maybe...

I've done a very scientific study of nu's pictures and using "bacon equivalents" I think 8 butts would fit easily on the lower shelf. I'm not sure about the clearance of the top shelf, but maybe a couple more there?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the awesome smoker!!

Being in the market for a pellet pooper, I can't wait to see it filled with butts and briskets to get a good feel for the upper shelf's capacity.

-NCGrimbo
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Shucker, that thing is awesome!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
So...

The HMS is the sliding plate on the left, correct? And the handle on the front left allows you to adjust it while the pit is in use?

Are the graduated holes on the right side adjustable at all or are those fixed?

Also, did you have any grommets added for thermometer probes?
The HMS (heat management system) is the whole diffuser plate itself, the sliding damper and the damper on the stack, it works in three functions.

Function one is the plate. It's whole function is to make the pit even, side to side and front to back, it WORKS.

The second function is the sliding damper. It can be moved at any point, before, during or after the cook. The more you slide it open, the more hear comes out making the spot hotter the more it is open. If you want do have direct heat for a steak, or crisp up chicken skin, or set a glaze, open it up to the desired amount for the heat you want. Close it back up, you go back to an even pit.

There third function is the stack damper. It can be closed up to half way without affecting the smoke. What that does is slows the hear down from escaping and creating a hot spot while the air waits to escape.

So you can create a totally even pit with the slider closed and damper wide open. Or you can make a direct heat hot spot by sliding the plate open. Or you can make an indirect hot spot by closing the damper down. Or you can create two hot spots by opening the slider and closing the damper a bit. It gives the cook a ton of heat flexibility.

Or if you want to grill something, slide the damper open and direct heat access is there. Plus you can still purchase GrillGrates for it if you want a very large direct grill that is super even with the HMS plate completely removed.

The graduated holes are fixed. And I did add a probe port on the left side. It can be seen in this pic. It is much larger than the ones on the YS640.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500