MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
DerbyCityQ
Got Wood.

Default Franklin BBQ experience

Saw this on /r/BBQ. Nice write up and brisket looks fantastic.

http://imgur.com/a/lihUl

Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

next business trip to tx i'm going there. meetings be damned!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say anybody who has the opportunity to check Franklin's out should do so. Mind blowing brisket & I really liked the sausage as well. If you know what you're getting into as far as the wait goes and prepare for it, it's all good. We got there at 8am and were about 35th in line - got served around noon. I would definitely do it again.

John Mueller's is also fantastic. I haven't been to La Barbecue or Stiles Switch but they are also supposed to be great as well.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Last time I had read something about La Barbeque it made it sound like the wait times there aren't nearly as long. But that was a while ago - anyone know whether the wait times have gotten more like it is at Franklin's?
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Bludawg

Get there before 9 if you don't want a long wait
Old 05-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Last time I had read something about La Barbeque it made it sound like the wait times there aren't nearly as long. But that was a while ago - anyone know whether the wait times have gotten more like it is at Franklin's?
Just a guess, but I think the wait times at Franklin's are by far longer than the other places. We went to John Mueller's an hour before it opened on a Sunday and we were the second group in line, so the overall time investment was a lot less - and the food there is absolutely incredible.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I have done all 4 of the ones listed, although J. Mueller was when it was the old place (before it was La Barbecue). I did Franklin when the line was only about an hour on a non-weekend, and I still would never do it again. I am not into tailgating (and even less so with the typical Austin crowd), so the experience is lost on me. Similar length line (an hour) wasn't as bad at Pecan Lodge since it was inside and was a very different clientele. Now that they are moving to a standalone building, I will not do that one again either. IMO, there is simply not enough differentiation between the product of these places or many others in North and Central TX to warrant the wait and the price.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Bludawg

I have it on good word Pecan got a FruFru since the move they now have a House Craft beer and a $$$$ wine menu with garden and indoor dining. Don't figure my tobacco spitin, finger eatin, use my bandanna for a slop rag, Beer belching self would be to welcome & I just might have to take out a Second mortgage to eat there or bring my splitin maul.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I have it on good word Pecan got a FruFru since the move they now have a House Craft beer and a $$$$ wine menu with garden and indoor dining. Don't figure my tobacco spitin, finger eatin, use my bandanna for a slop rag, Beer belching self would be to welcome & I just might have to take out a Second mortgage to eat there or bring my splitin maul.
Just back the car in and leave the motor running.
WTFWGALD?