MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
BJY151
Got Wood.

Progress as of Friday, I was gone the rest of the weekend but spent a lot of time dreaming up its future.
A bit of surface rust on top paint and inside steel. Sanding takes forever may have to use a wire wheel and if that doesn't help talk to someone about sand or glass blasting.

In this picture you see the insert, where the hole is in the back was a light bulb, would this be good placement for exhaust? I would make it bigger and go out of the back of the smoker. All of the clips are metal but may replace for safety.

BJY151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
IDK, looks like steel but if I remember correctly, stainless is not magnetic so I guess you could test it with any good magnet, if it sticks it is steel, if not or the connection is weak, might be SS.

Edit: I did a little reading and most common stainless steels are not magnitic, but there are some ferric stainless steels with weak magnetism.
You are right that most stainless is not magnetic, meaning a magnet will not stick to it. If it is cheap stainless (400 series), it has no nickel in it like the better stainless and a magnet will stick to it. 301 ss CAN have a slight magnetic pull but the difference between steel and stainless in terms of the magnetic pull is very big. If the magnet just drags a little along the material, it is stainless.

As the grade of stainless increases in quality, the amount the amount of nickel increases, the amount of chrome typically decreases, and the amount of iron decreases. That is why the better stainless is not magnetic and the crappier stainless can have some magnetic pull.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

A cold smoker might be ok , but in my opinion it not worth the effort, when you finish, you still have an old fridge
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
BJY151
Got Wood.

It will be a pretty old fridge that can smoke meat when I am done.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it's going to make a fine smoker!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
BJY151
Got Wood.

I purchased most of the items I will need earlier this week, but it has been very cold so no work has been done. Still a lot of paint to get off.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #22
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Glass bead blasting is not a good media for paint removal.Black Beauty,aka ground slag is though.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
A cold smoker might be ok , but in my opinion it not worth the effort, when you finish, you still have an old fridge
Don't kid yourself. These old fridges can make some damm nice smokers!!
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
BJY151
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
Glass bead blasting is not a good media for paint removal.Black Beauty,aka ground slag is though.
I got some finishing discs for the grinder I am going to try and some wire wheel brushes. The regular hand sander worked just taking a long time.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
BJY151
Got Wood.

Default This is a lot of dirty work!

I've come a long way, have some pics. Takes too much work to post over phone so will be posting in big group at a later time, you can click on one of the earlier photos and see the albums in my photobucket library. Found that flap discs on the angle grinder work amazingly to get paint off. But very dirty, bought a respirator after the first use. I power washed parts, and primered and high temp painted parts. Did a prep burn in fire box already because the wife wants charcoal grilled steaks tomorrow and I will be using it. Tonight but no current pics I cut holes for exhaust and started cutting for firebox. Door is currently at local welding shop getting piece of steel cut for the liner, also getting 1/4 inch plate for bottom of fridge for wheels to mount on. Still deciding what I will do for the gap between chamber and outer body. I posses but haven't installed the Roxul insulation. Pictures to follow.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks like it's coming along good! Lots of work but it will be worth it!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #27
BJY151
Got Wood.

Some of the pictures from past couple weeks.

Most of the paint removed and got my insulation.

[/IMG]

Door partially sanded, the door is my current hold up. Been at metal supplier for 2 weeks waiting for them to cut piece for inside liner. Should have bought the metal and cut it myself. 20/20.....

Power washing at the car wash with the help of a helpful friend.

High temp BBQ black paint to cover exterior of inner cavity, was a few marked up partially rusting spots I sanded down and resealed.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
BJY151
Got Wood.

SFB first burn.

Second burn and first steaks.

Flat iron steaks, not sure how the butcher here does it but these are some awesome tender steaks.

Holes cut. And side shelf on, probably could have waited on the shelf but running out of stuff todo until I get the door back.

Insulation installed. This isn't fiber glass but it can still get itchy!!!!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
BJY151
Got Wood.

Had a reaction where the black paint I just put on and the red paint over primer I put on a week ago suddenly wrinkled and can whipe down to bar metal again. Anyone know the cause? I've ran into this before when painting electrical boxes at work with multiple layers of paint, always thought it was because the first layer wasn't dry or the metal wasn't roughed enough.

Also I cut this by making a stencil from cardboard tracing of opening in SFB, then cutting with jigsaw. First cut I tried with tin snips, workes but jagged crappy opening. Looks much better with jigsaw cut.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Looking good! If your going back down to the metal to repaint, try wiping it down with vinegar first. I've been told it react with the metal and helps the paint stick better.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote