brisket help

Reaction score
Alright brethren i'm scratching my head over this one. I'm used to smoking regular old packers from the grocery store and they come out juicy and tender. I've only done one comp but my brisket score was good for 4th place. I did a practice cook this weekend using a creekstone prime brisket and it was horrible. It was dry. The point was juicy but the flat was unusable. I put it back in for a bit til 195 and let it rest probe slid in with a little resistance felt. what went wrong here. I wrapped in butcher paper about 170. The only thing I did different use butchers unmentionables 12 hours before the cook.

Could be several things. The one thing I have noticed with Creekstones is that I need to go a little heavier on my rub than on a choice packer or even a waygu. Also, 195 is the temp I start checking for doneness. Usually not done until close to 205. Check it with a toothpick not a probe. For some reason I have noticed they will start to firm back up after it hits 195. Just wait it out and check it every 5-10 min. The toothpick will slide in with ease. Vent for 5-10 min and put in the cambro. Also, I inject about 4hrs before it goes on.

The brisket did have good flavor. The slices just pulled like rubber bands so I put it back in and when I checked it the second time the slices would pull apart but they were dry. In fact every brisket I have done had juices pooled on the bottom except for this one. No juices what so ever. I just wanted to step up my game with prime brisket but so fat the results haven't been good. Now with the tooth pick method do you go straight up and down or against the grain?

Just leave the creekstone alone and stick to what gets you what you are looking for. I feel that if you can win 1st place with a basic brisket against wago's and so called superior brisket. Well ant that what BBQ is all about? Taking the cheapest cuts?
I took 1st place twice last year with the poorest brisket you can get, against team's that source their cuts and pay a lot of money for them. When they called my team out, do you think I was pleased? You bloody right I was.

Just leave the creekstone alone and stick to what gets you what you are looking for. I feel that if you can win 1st place with a basic brisket against wago's and so called superior brisket. Well ant that what BBQ is all about? Taking the cheapest cuts?
I took 1st place twice last year with the poorest brisket you can get, against team's that source their cuts and pay a lot of money for them. When they called my team out, do you think I was pleased? You bloody right I was.
+1 i tried the primes and waygooooos and never had any luck. they were either tough or fall apart. went back to my CAB choice Nationals and perfected cooking with them. doin really well in comps. $2.99/lb and i get to hand pick through up to 20 cases every wednesday if i like.

You wrapped way to late in the cooking cycle. Try wrapping with an internal temp of 145.
good lord! guess people up there like pot roast?

Thanks for the tip butcher. By the way I thought your injection mix did produce a nice flavor. I normally wrap my packers in the 160 to 170 area but i'll back that down and see how it goes. How about the injection time. Was 12 hrs too long?

I have the problem with my brisket coming out dry after resting 3 to 4 hours. I think it could be from not holding properly or not getting quality briskets. Next time I am going to hold my brisket just in a towel for some time before placing in my cooler and I have selected already a good looking CAB. Very interested now if I have not wrapped to late. Why would wrapping earlier do anything other then speed up the cooking process? Is it that it keeps the juices that a brisket might be loosing earlier on in the cook?

I have noticed that with CreekStone. I did a comp last month with one CreekStone and one Walmart choice packer. The Walmart one got turned in and I will never order from Them again.

There is no "brand" that will make you a winner. It being able to hand pick the perfect piece of meat. What went wrong with your cook is you got a ****ty brisket. I cook wagyu and hand pick them all. If you are ordering cases or from online sources who are sending you whatever they want you will never get a consistent brisket. Last weekend I tried a creek stone, was a great brisket, I f'ed it up.

I hand picked 3 creekstones and all 3 looked pretty dang good. I have two more chances. There is the possibility that I did the same thing as you jacked. What happened with yours?

I've never cooked a Creekstone. It's been my experience with Angus beef that it has a dry mouth feel (whether it's juicy or not, more of a texture thing).

Do you not find that the butcher paper doesn't hold moisture well? I've tried it (once) and lost the juice and I love some good brisket juice!

I cooked a Creekstone Prime about 2 cook offs ago and a choice from Wally World. I ended up turning in the choice brisket and got 2nd place. It was just jucier and more tender. I'm not knocking Creekstone might have just been that brisket.

I've never cooked a Creekstone. It's been my experience with Angus beef that it has a dry mouth feel (whether it's juicy or not, more of a texture thing).

Do you not find that the butcher paper doesn't hold moisture well? I've tried it (once) and lost the juice and I love some good brisket juice!

I use butcher paper for most things. Maybe brisket shouldn't be one of them, lol! The paper does absorb a lot of moisture so there isn't much juice. Maybe back to foil for me.

I hand picked 3 creekstones and all 3 looked pretty dang good. I have two more chances. There is the possibility that I did the same thing as you jacked. What happened with yours?

I loaded my brisket at 12am and woke up at 8am and my smoker was at 500. You can imagine what my pork and brisket looked like. I used a new cooker that I never cooked on before, I was vending and had the I dont care attitude. I was able to salvage the pork, got 9th out of 81, but the brisket I believe took 36th, I was only able to salvage 3 inch slices and six burnt ends from the point that was still protected by the flat, (not my choice area for burnt ends). The only time I do bad in brisket is when I just pic any piece or let someone else get it for me.

I hate to go for the simplest solution first but..did you check the butcher paper for holes/leaks after you took it out. You said that there was little to no juice in there when you vented right? If you had lost all your moisture this could explain both the texture and tenderness (lack of?). Just my 2 sense...good luck on the next one.

No holes in the paper but it is quite porous so maybe it evaporated? I used to get lots of juice with foil but with butcher paper not so much

The brisket did have good flavor. The slices just pulled like rubber bands so I put it back in and when I checked it the second time the slices would pull apart but they were dry. In fact every brisket I have done had juices pooled on the bottom except for this one. No juices what so ever. I just wanted to step up my game with prime brisket but so fat the results haven't been good. Now with the tooth pick method do you go straight up and down or against the grain?

Toothpick straight up and down. use the tip of your finger to press it down.

Back