Appreciate some help with Prime Rib

Cloudsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
You guys ever struggle with a particular dish you cant get right to save your life? Prime Rib is mine. Remedial help for a a prime Rib idiot would be much appreciated.

I cook rib roasts at 275 until the internal temp hits 130. Then i rest it under a tent of foil for 20 minutes or so, slice and serve.

P3300143.JPG

Others will cook at 225 until the internal temp is around 120 and then sear over a very hot fire.

^^^In all honesty, I have nothing to add to that - he's got ya covered, well - I would add to hit it with kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper - no need to get fancy whatsoever until you've nailed a few. It's a great piece of meat that doesn't need a lot of help.

My preferred method is RonL's option #2 - cook @ 225 (I've cooked @200 - takes a while!) to 120 then sear. The benefit at cooking at these low temps is you get uniform doneness all the way through.

Keep at it - the rewards are worth it! :hungry:

My only point would be to cook at a bit higher temp, maybe 300+, and pull at around 120 internal temp to start the reverse sear. I wouldn't want a nice roast like that end up at anything more than 135 final internal temp.

I cook rib roasts at 275 until the internal temp hits 130. Then i rest it under a tent of foil for 20 minutes or so, slice and serve.

P3300143.JPG

Others will cook at 225 until the internal temp is around 120 and then sear over a very hot fire.

You ought to give your wounded girl a slice of that! Looks pretty darn good!

I carefully remove most of the fat cap in one piece and season the rib roast. Tie the fat cap back on and cook at 275 until internal temp of 125. Cut string and remove remainder of fat cap then reverse sear. Remove from heat and let rest for 30 minutes

You guys ever struggle with a particular dish you cant get right to save your life? Prime Rib is mine. Remedial help for a a prime Rib idiot would be much appreciated.

Just curious, what seems to be the problem? Are they overdone?

Yep. My wife likes it well done, I like it medium rare. Somehow I seem to mess up both.

If you have a therm and are hitting your target temps, nothing else really matters THAT much. I've cooked them high heat, low heat, rotisserie, smoked, in the gasser and over charcoal. They are ALL great.

If you are not getting at least fairly good results, I suspect you are probably making your mistake at the grocery store and not at the grill. If you are not doing this already, spring for choice roast. It makes all the difference.

Yep. My wife likes it well done, I like it medium rare. Somehow I seem to mess up both.

I prefer Ron's second option. I cook at 225* until between 120 and 125* IT, then do a sear.

IMG_4578.jpg

The advantage to a lower temperature is that the roast will be uniformly cooked throughout. Notice that the pink here goes right to the edges. The advantage of cooking at higher temps is that you will have a doneness gradient, with more rare in the middle than the outside.

Since your wife likes it well done, you have two options:
1. Cook at a higher temp, 325* for instance, and serve your wife a piece from the end and save the middle for yourself.
2. Cook it medium-rare, the way you like it, and serve it over candlelight. I made a perfect prime rib for New Year's several years back, only to discover that when I cut into it, the guests turned white upon seeing the pink meat. I turned the lights down low so they couldn't see the food and they said it was the best roast they ever ate. :thumb:

So are you saying you are cooking it beyond well done? The more specific you can be, the more we can help steer you in the right direction.

While it may seem terribly obvious, make sure your roast is at room temp before you cook it. I've ruined a few nice roasts in the past by not doing this. By the time the inner part of the roast was up to temp, the outer part was tough as shoe leather.

Also, are you using a thermo/probe of some sort to keep tabs of your temp?

Key to my success has been Traeger Prime Rib Rub.

I tend to cook on the rare side and finish to desired doneness after slicing.

While it may seem terribly obvious, make sure your roast is at room temp before you cook it. I've ruined a few nice roasts in the past by not doing this. By the time the inner part of the roast was up to temp, the outer part was tough as shoe leather.

Very good point! From the fridge to the heat will ruin the meat:mad:

So are you saying you are cooking it beyond well done? The more specific you can be, the more we can help steer you in the right direction.

Excellent point. The cooking process begins with taking the meat out of the fridge. I've never checked to see if mine are really at room temp, but I do let it sit out for at least an hour before putting in the oven/smoker.

For a roast size, an hour won't do it GTR.
What you can do if pressed for time is put the roast in a ziploc and get all the air out and submerge it in hot (not boiling) water.
When the water has cooled, refill with hot water and do it again.This will get the temps up fast without negatively affecting the meat.
HTH

Back