MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
foppa78
On the road to being a farker

Default foppa's Assassin 28. (picture heavy)

Several of the Assassin threads last fall had me drooling. I had been highly intrigued by these gravity fed smokers. I decided to pull the trigger on a new Assassin 28 and it arrived last Thursday.

It's been posted many times but I also wanted to echo how great it was to work with Jeff and Robin. They answered all of my questions and were very accommodating to all of my requests.

Here are some pictures and a few thoughts on my build.

The Assassin 28 seems to now be standard with shelving spaced (in inches, bottom to top) at 5, 5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5. This is a great set up but I noticed that several people were using that bottom 5 inch shelf just to hold pans. I didn't want to waste one of my largest cooking areas with pans so I went with the shelves spaced (in inches, bottom to top) at 3.5, 5, 5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5. This gives me a smaller 3.5 inch shelf at the very bottom if I choose to put some pans down there. It also gives me a smaller shelf down where the heat is the highest to cook some chicken. I liked the idea of having the chicken down in the higher heat zone and below anything else I was cooking. I won't have to worry about chicken drippings being above other items.

The Assassin also has a ball valve attached out of the fire box to allow you to attach your guru controller. I just knew that with the guru fan sticking out a little at the shin level that I would eventually slam into it pretty hard. I asked Jeff if he could put a 90 degree elbow out of the firebox pointing up so that the guru would be nicely protected in that corner and out of my way.

I really liked the 6 shelf set up but thought that a 4 shelf set up would be very nice for cooking larger items. I asked Jeff and Robin if they could weld an additional set of C channels in between the two 5 inch shelves so that I could have 4 shelves all pretty close to the same size. By taking 2 shelves out and sliding 2 shelves up it allowed me to have 4 shelves (in inches, bottom to top) at roughly 6, 6, 6, 7.

I opted to upgrade to the Wifi guru. I had it set up in infrastructure mode in about 5 minutes. I must have been lucky because I didn't have any issues setting it up. I also went with the cover and a rain cap that fits over the smokestack. We have raccoons that like to come up on the deck and open the pet food bin so I figured that I might want the lockable slam latch.

The build is fantastic. Everything is put together nicely. No smoke leaks anywhere. This thing is sealed very well and holds temperature like a dream. The paint is incredible as well.

Here are videos of the unboxing and the seasoning. I couldn't figure out how to embed them.

Thanks to you brethren who answered questions and thanks again to Jeff and Robin at C&C. I have some more pics of the first cook that I will post a little later.

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the new cooker! You are gonna love it!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a good looking pit you picked up. Congrats on the new addition! Expect more pics of it in use in the future. Enjoy!
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

You mentioned the bottom rack being the hottest. What is the temp difference between the bottom and top racks?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

looks like a nice smoker

Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
TBASS
Full Fledged Farker

That is one sweet looking cooker. Looks like you are gonna have fun summer.
TBASS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Congrats and Enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
foppa78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
You mentioned the bottom rack being the hottest. What is the temp difference between the bottom and top racks?
At 225 there was only a 5 degree difference between my top probe and the bottom probe. I was impressed with the temperature consistency. I have a feeling that the difference will increase at higher temperatures but I only put 2 probes in when I was at 225.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations on your smoker. You will get a lot of enjoyment from cooking with it.

I love using my Assassin. I'm looking forward to putting mine in action next week. It has been pretty dormant over the winter.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I still want one of these pretty badly.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Hack n smoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

I just ordered the std assassin. Can't wait they look awesome.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
CSchieck

Great idea putting the 90 degree elbow at the ball valve.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
foppa78

After seasoning it on Friday I had my first cook on Sunday. It ran extremely well. The guru held the temp steady the entire day. I forgot to take pictures of the finished pork butts.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Assassin 28, gravity fed, smoker