MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #46
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Aaron

Definitely going to be ribs, and if you remember when I came up their for the dove shoot I like my ribs dry rubbed, no sauce on them bad boys. Dad has come up with a rub that is pretty awesome that I am going to alter a little bit to my liking and go with. Mom even taught me the secret recipe to her amazing beans so ill have them going too.
QueInOveralls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #47
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Can't wait!
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Well guys its been a little longer than I had planned to get it to this stage but I have to say I am pleased with the how it is turning out. Phase one of this project is 90% done. Just need to figure out how I'm going to do my handle and get a larger dial thermometer for easier viewing. Phase 2 will be completing the trailer: need to but the trailer jack on and run lights to it and also get it registered. Phase 3 will be the grill.

So here a few pictures with it mounted on the trailer and complete minus the above.

Front View ( side of the trailer but where I will cook from)

Left View

Back View

Right View

Top views 1 - 3

View to show the height of it compared to me.

And the roommates who are working with me

Some might ask "Why model it after a beer of such low quality?" and my response shall be "Because it was the first beer in space, and that's a fact."

I will probably end up putting another natty logo on the back side or possibly some other logo such as what we call ourselves. But for now I am happy with it.

I borrowed my brother's charcoal basket out of my his UDS that my uncle countyliner made for him until he comes down with the one he made for me. Lit a good amount of charcoal up and got it burning at about 400 degrees (all the intakes wide open) and it stayed there for a few hours until I choked it out. I used high temp engine enamel paint so I needed to heat it up to cure the paint. One thing I did notice is that there was no paint fume smell once it got hot, must be because of the type of paint.

I was a little worried about the heat of the barrel being so close to the wheels since I don't have fenders yet. However to my surprise the paint seemed to block that. You could touch the barrel with no worries of even being burned. The trailer nor the tires ever warmed up. So that's a good sign to me that the fenders will only have to keep the road grime off my UDS and eventually the grill.

I know this was a really long post but trying to be thorough. Look forward to everyone's reaction

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

What is that on the lid?

- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #50
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

It is the can popper. If you look it in person it looks like the exhaust hole is the mouth of the beer can and the popper is bent up like it was already opened. It was hard to try to take a picture to show it. Kinda have to see the whole thing in person.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
peeps

I see...you need to paint on the can opening. I think that would complete the look.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #52
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Not sure what you mean by paint the can opening? Like paint it black the shape and somewhat size of the can opening? I think that would actually be a good idea making the popper look more realistic and to scale... if you would please clarify for me.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #53
peeps

That is what I mean.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #54
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Cool. Well I appreciate it. That was a concern I had as the exhaust whole is way smaller than the mouth of the can making it look a little awkward. Of course when you look at it you can tell what it intends to be. That is now added to the list of things to do. Thanks brother.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #55
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Natty Light?? In space? We need to increase NASA's budget if natty light is all they can afford to send up there. haha

The pull tab handle on top is perfect!
Like the thermometer. Will probably go with that type on mine.
Cant wait to see it...with some sweet blue coming out.

Great job!
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #56
Deanr
Knows what a fatty is.

Had to check out the natty in space thing.

You're right. They were the first.

Can't credit NASA, but pure American ingenuity.

Deanr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #57
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Well I took the weekend off from working on the smoker. Figured I'd drive up to Tennessee and hunt opening weekend of bow season. After sitting in the stand for only about 2.5 hours the first morning I was able to pop I nice body doe.

So she is in a cooler curing for a few days. When I got back to Montgomery I was determined to get something cooked on the UDS. Have spent a lot of time building this thing I deserved to get to eat something off of it. So I decided to make a fatty.

I did it pretty simple just fried bacon, onions, and rib rub. Turned out amazing and the roommates we definitely happy. Cooking on it I found some modifications I want to make to it to include latches to lock the lid down and a table to hold the remote thermometer. The cook itself was the easiest part of the whole thing.

I coated the inside with vegetable oil while this thing was cooking to season the barrel. Ribs will go on one night this week.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #58
tmac4183
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Post like this makes me wish I was a country boy instead of a big city dweller all of my life
tmac4183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #59
boaz65
On the road to being a farker

This is an enjoyable read, great job guys!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #60
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Well Guys this weekend was a great one. Wednesday I decided since I was building this I was going to need to get a freezer to store meat in since I live with 4 others and we only had a side by side fridge freezer. The deer will be processed this week and will go in it also. My parents decided that they wanted to help put some meat in it for me which was pretty awesome. Got ground beef, 3 slabs of baby backs, a ton of pork chops, tilapia, chicken breasts, biscuits, home made smoked sausage. I then added some grouper and amberjack I caught in May and a few packs of Jimmy Dean sausage.

So I decided this weekend to bbq sunday to start practicing since CountyLiner is coming to visit the family next weekend and I am going to cook for everybody. The roommates each went and bought a slab of spare ribs for themselves and their girlfriends, and I prepared a rack of my baby backs. Luckily they dropped off the meat and left for the farm to bush hog because I got a bit nervous for a while. I have never prepared the entire bbq meal by myself and never trimmed spare ribs in my life. So while they were gone I watched a bunch of youtube videos on st Louis cut spare ribs and went to town on them. One thing I do need to get is a filet knife. All in all though I believe they were cut just fine. I rubbed them down with a homemade rib rub that my dad came up with and let me have the recipe to. cooked 2 hours unwrapped, then wrapped for a little over and hour, then in a cooler for an hour.

The ribs look a little darker in the pictures than they were in real life. I also made a big ole pan of baked beans with my momma's secret recipe which turned out great, texas toast, and a roommate made macaroni and cheese.

The entire meal turned out great and the ribs were destroyed. I brought a plate to my parents house and they were devoured without even sitting down. For my first bbq I feel it was a major success and man was that a good feeling.