MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #196
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Chimney and face is pretty much done, just need to fill out the corners.

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #197
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking Great!
Love the stone "eave" and keystone!

From the prev pics of the flue, it should breathe very well.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #198
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Awesome!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #199
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Some more work done from the other day.

Im really loving these bricks. Minus the fact that all the bricks are different sizes. Wouldn't be surprised if they were hand made. For the installation of the brick we cut them in half, basically doubling the use of these bricks, so we installed them with thinset, we will go back and fill the gaps with mortar.

Beautiful sky from last night

Removed the entry/arch form, need to fill in the gaps with fine sand.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #200
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Beautiful brick work! You'll definitely be enjoying your new outdoor cooking area this summer!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #201
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Really starting to come together.
Man, the reclaimed brick looks awesome!
Have you started curing the oven at all yet?

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes

Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #202
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
Really starting to come together.
Man, the reclaimed brick looks awesome!
Have you started curing the oven at all yet?

Thank you.. No i have not started curing, the form just came off 2 days ago so i will start asap. Its been air drying for a month now, at least the bottom half of the home. The top rows have been drying for 2 weeks now. Im good with that as the longer it dries the better. Im thinking of putting a propane torch in there for the first few days. Then use charcoal briquettes as the heat is low and stable. After that ill amp up the heat.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #203
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Time is your friend here...
I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned.
I know our ice fishing shacks get pretty humid when we heat them (perhaps from temp variance).
Just some thing to check into?
There is a LOT of moisture already in it.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #204
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned..
Technically, the combustion process itself creates water as a byproduct. I'm not sure if different fuels give more or less water though. Maybe propane produces more? But this is why water comes out of automotive tailpipes because a fuel is being burned.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #205
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned.
I know our ice fishing shacks get pretty humid when we heat them (perhaps from temp variance).
Just some thing to check into?
There is a LOT of moisture already in it.

Ice fishing? well yes if your heating up a cold and icy environment it will develop moisture, no? Its pretty dry up here so im not worried about that. I will have to check the moisture level with my moisture meter. I will document moisture levels.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #206
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

May i add that ive been fairly happy with this blade

Ive been doing all these cuts and about finished the build on just one blade and still using it, its almost done but its still on the saw. I have one more sitting in the garage but for the price this was a nice blade.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #207
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Since it is pretty dry out here in SoCal I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the curing process. I built my oven during spring time and lit progressively larger fires (maybe half a dozen or so) before I lit the big one. No cracks.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #208
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Since it is pretty dry out here in SoCal I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the curing process. I built my oven during spring time and lit progressively larger fires (maybe half a dozen or so) before I lit the big one. No cracks.

Good to know, ill start slowly with small fires then build up. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #209
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

What a nice build! I absolutely love the workspace you've built around it, I'm taking notes here. I bet you can almost taste that first pizza.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #210
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
What a nice build! I absolutely love the workspace you've built around it, I'm taking notes here. I bet you can almost taste that first pizza.
Thanks Matt. Ya i cant wait, now ill have to learn how to make the dough. Ill have to consult with my grandparents as they have baked bread in old ovens /clay pits

1 members found this post helpful.