MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Please correct or confirm my thought process

I am kind of new to the catering world. I did about 4 jobs last year and also sell butts on ocassion to people. So far I have not made any money to speak off. So for 2009 this is my thoughts.

Catering for 50 people minimum (charge wise) If I figure 1/2lb cooked pulled pork per person, 50lbs raw pork current price here is $1.29 per lb x 50lbs=$64.50 I figure between wood, charcoal, rub, sauce, tin pans, foil, misc supplies I'll have another $50 cost. Making my cost on a group of 50 people $2.30 per person. I think it is worth at least $300 in my pocket after cost to go throught the entire prep,cook, serv and clean up process (correct me if wrong hi or low), and at least worth $100 to pull my pit somewhere in the county to set up on site for a party. This would bring the minimum total for an on site for pulled pork to $515 or $10.30 per person. Then I figure for sides I would charge $1.50 per side per person. Drink standard would be tea & lemonade for $1.00 per person. Dessert at $1.50 per person for most desserts. Bringing the total per person for the whole shibang to $15.80 per person with two sides.

Could I get some opinions from you more experienced people on where or if my thought process is wrong. It sounds high to me but what do people pay to have a fully catered BBQ? I thought if things go good I would get further into catering i.e catering trailer, insurance, business license and so forth. What do you think?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I am not trying to rain on your idea here, but I think you are approaching this backwards. Please for you and your families protection, start with the business license, insurance and (if needed in your area) health permit, and then go for pricing.
I am not knocking your abilities or how clean you keep your operation, but CYA. It is where we started and would not have done it any other way.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree but that is kind of what I am trying to figure out. Here in Va you are required to get a certified kitchen to cook unless you are setting up and cooking bbq on site (personal chef). I would like to go the way you say but if I am looking to see if this is feasable part time and get an idea of what I can charge or what people will pay. For instance if the feedback I get says no way I would have to be in the $9-11 range or $20-25 range. What is the right price range to justify buying a catering trailer, and getting set up legally.

I have been in the auto repair industry for 21 years and I am 37 year old. I am ready to find another way to make a living by doing something I love but would have to do it in steps. I would like to start out catering and then maybe step it up to full time take out or maybe even a restaraunt, but need to get an idea of weather I can make enough to justify it.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Remember---the best way to make a small fortune in the BBQ business is to start out with a large fortune.

and-- Behind every successful BBQ man there is a woman with a job in town

Side dishes are your friend. Meat is your most expensive ingredient to buy---if you are selling meat by itself you are hurting yourself. The greatist profit can be made from your least expensive ingredients---dried pinto beans--rice --potatoes etc.
Base your pricing on a plate with meat-2 side dishes and some sort of bread--corn bread-biscuits-garlic bread. Then the price of a plate will look like more of a VALUE to the customer.

Go into any fast food place----order just a burger---I guarantee that they will try to sell you a meal with fries and a drink. They make greatist profit on drinks and next most on fries----and they love to "supersize" because it makes them more profit. You can increase profit with your side dishes.

I agree that you should get all permits and try to be "Plumb Square and Level"----it will prevent severe problems later
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Isn't a 1/2 pound of meat a little much?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Isn't a 1/2 pound of meat a little much?
I was thinking the same thing. If it is gonna be sammies, the usual allowance is 1/4 to 1/3 lb each.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Don't forget Shrinkage.

Get your legal stuff done first.

When I moved from CT to Texas I went from a Legal vendor to a non-person BBQ wise. Right now all I can do is help out in a kitchen (cooking through church for the rotary as a guest).

Could I take a little job (that has been offered to me) on the side? Sure. But if I get caught... it makes getting approved REAL hard because you have a record of selling without proper license.

This holds true even when you are making stuff for friends and private parties. It may seem private to you but man remember HD sees things differently and can make ur life difficult if you ever plan to go legal.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I was figuring a sammy is usually a 1/3lb and figured most would eat two or a plate full with no bun. I was also figuring my pricing by a buffet not by the plate, is this the wrong way to do it? I plan on going to talk with the health dept in April. All I have done so far is small stuff for family and friends, and sell friends butts. My goal would be to do 6-8 catering jobs this year and get a catering trailer and get set up through the HD in the spring. I think here in VA you can pull up to 8 permits per year to cook without a certified kitchen by pulling a permit and fee and the HD comes that morning and inspects your set up and you are good for the day. After that they say get a kitchen. I can see the point to side dishes also.

What do you all think as far as pricing? My pit will hold 24 butts maxed out. I can see where it could be done much cheaper if I had an Old Hickory where I am not up all night labor wise but then again my pit is paid for and someone with a Old Hickory may sleep but they are forking out the $$$ for an expensive pit.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Your price seems high to me. $15+pp for pulled pork with 2 sides and a drink is a little high. I can go to a BBQ joint and get a pulled pork platter with 1 or 2 sides for a lot less than $15. Search around the internet and look at what other BBQ joints charge for catering (look for links in the signatures on this site).
You priced it by adding your profit in the beginning at $6pp. Plus, $2 pp to bring your pit. Have a price to bring your smoker separate from the food cost. You can deliver and serve food without having to take the smoker - warm up ahead of time and use Cambro's.
You should calculate all of your cost first. I didn't see cost of buns, napkins, paper plates, forks, cups, etc. Don't guess you have $50 in misc. item, cost it all out; otherwise, you may leave yourself short. Figure the cost of each side. $1.50 is probably okay for sides. You need a per person price with a minimum of xx people. Suppose they want to do it for 20, 40 or 80. Your profit will be based on number of people, not flat rate per event ( $300 in you example).

Example:
Your cost of 2.30 / sammie sounds about right - 2.50 with bun, plate, napkin, fork.
Side cost vary but 5 lbs tubs of potao salad and cole slaw and large cans of beans plus a little fixing up before you take it - no more than .50 per serving per side.
Tea and lemonade are cheap - .15 per cup plus .15 for the cup ( the cost of the cup is more than the drink ).
Your cost= 2.50 (sammie) + 1.00 (2 sides) + .30 (drink) = 3.80 pp x 50 = $190

If you charge 9.95 pp delivered and set-up on tables = 497.50. At $9.95pp, your gross profit is $6.15pp x 50 = 307.50 gross profit
Some say a general catering rule of thumb is cost times 3. 3.80 x 3 = $11.40pp. Gross profit = $7.60pp ( x 50 = 380 gross profit )

I say gross profit because you have overhead cost for transportation, tables, canopies, equipment, labor, etc.

Pit on site = 150.00 for 4 hours; $25 per hour after that or use a flat rate of 150. Hauling your pit can be a pain to get into a park, backyard.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys

Last edited by Just Smokin' Around; 02-24-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
big brother smoke

What they said for the most part. You would be wise to peruse this section as well if you have not. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51391